In the fictional world of Halo, The SPARTAN-II project was secretly commissioned to create an elite corps of supersoldiers; these soldiers became the best weapon against the alien Covenant when war broke out. The Spartans become heroes and veritable legends; in order to maintain public confidence that the war is going well.

While playing as Master Chief (one of the last of the SPARTAN-II supersoldiers still in active service), I thought to myself: Wouldn't it be legit to actually have a couple of these beasts in our U.S. Military Force.

Thus, I propose the following plan: The United States federal government should substantially increase its exploration and/or development of space beyond the Earth’s mesosphere by developing the SPARTAN project.

The SPARTAN project will produce supersoldiers capable of defending planet Earth from any Extra Terrestrial attacks.

As far as advantages go, I'm thinking somthing along the lines of Readiness or Defense against Alien Attack.

Any support or criticism is welcome.

• Downvote 1

You already have the uphill battle of winning that aliens exist.

That would be the easy part. Proving that aliens exist anywhere near us and have the ability to reach us would be the problem.

• Upvote 1

The SPARTAN project isn't intended for space specifically. It's just a super soldier program.

Creating the UNSC, however, would be (debateably) at least somewhere close to the topic.

Is that even a real project?

I also don't see how that is an exploration/development of space considering it just deals with creating super soldiers.

Is that even a real project?

I also don't see how that is an exploration/development of space considering it just deals with creating super soldiers.

UNSC = United Nations Space Command. It would be super soldiers particularly for use in space.

The best topical way to do it would just to create an open project for co-operation in the creation of space marines in general, without the super soldiers particulars, and just read space mil good.

Def not inherent lol

Oh yeah, I forgot about those space stations full of soldiers and food and weapons and starships we have just floatin' around.

My bad.

sug4175_batman-are-you-dense-are-you-retarded.jpg

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

Why not instead of giving it a militarized connotation make it more like *scientific mumbo jumbo* study of humans in space/making humans ready for space life? Then you could access more critical impacts like *this will make little kids want to work hard in school* but y'know still defend policy implications

One that's not true, I have never lost that debate.

Also, you're going to have to have a pretty damn good solvency advocate other than the author of the Halo books which are fiction to say why that is good, let alone possible, because Earth has some AI but not fully functional AI like Halo. I think you could use Halo as an advantage that talks about how we should develop AI similar to Halo in the sense that it protects earth, and is attainable in a short timeframe.

One that's not true, I have never lost that debate.

QFA

Winning aliens exist is easy. Winning the nuance of an aliens debate is not. For example for the advantage you want to have for this aff (a stupid idea btw) you have to win.

• Aliens are real
    • Aliens are intelligent
    • Aliens are not peaceful
    • Aliens wont kill themselves off
    • Aliens have interest in earth (for example winning they have not reached singularity)
    • Aliens have tech to reach earth and win

Losing any one of those sub-debates ruins this advantage.

Wait. You're reading this ironically, right?

Yeah, this would def not be my go to aff. But, I do wanna run something fun this year cuz i think that's what this rez is all about.

QFA

Winning aliens exist is easy. Winning the nuance of an aliens debate is not. For example for the advantage you want to have for this aff (a stupid idea btw) you have to win.

• Aliens are real
    • Aliens are intelligent
    • Aliens are not peaceful
    • Aliens wont kill themselves off
    • Aliens have interest in earth (for example winning they have not reached singularity)
    • Aliens have tech to reach earth and win

Losing any one of those sub-debates ruins this advantage.

Once again, never had a problem beating any of those arguments. I'm a wipeout hack.

Because all the judges out there are just dying to vote on Inherency :)

You'd be surprised.

In Kansas, at least.

EDIT: Just realized X Spike used the forbidden r-word that was supposed banned on March 3 by everyone's usage of green shirts.

• Downvote 1

Aliens exist: plan is cool

Aliens don't exist: We have extra crap for inhabiting planets and having heg on said planets

The only disad against you could run is econ (which is always retarded) or heg bad (also retarded)

The reason such an aff idea is strategic is because it allows the aff to single out an extinction-level event (colonization by ET's) and weigh the magnitude of such an event as quantifiably outweighing the risk and/or impact of a conflict that is terrestrial in nature. Once has aff has won all of the necessary arguments to insulate itself from terrestrial impacts (No GPW, No Global Warming, Impact/link level D to common disads), it's very difficult for aff to not win that - even with ~1% risk of their aff being true - that it outweighs.

The reason such an aff is unstrategic is because of lack of quantifiable timeframes to any alien invasion shit, and the short-term political effects to the plan both internationally and domestically. Not to mention the length of time necessary for space development. A neg needs to win *nothing else* but a disad that results in extinction that happens *not before the aliens attack but before the aff plan's program goes into full effect*.

This is the meta-narrative to this debate that matters. Aliens exist/don't exist is only a miniscule portion of one of the relevant debates.

I think this would be a really fun aff to run but for a round that you know you're not going to break, cus I wouldn't want to lost a break round because I ran my fun/squirrelly aff

I think this would be a really fun aff to run but for a round that you know you're not going to break, cus I wouldn't want to lost a break round because I ran my fun/squirrelly aff

Don't be surprised - *especially* on a space topic, of all things - if aff ideas with this concept or crazier ones become a go-to for some teams. Deployed effectively, it means the neg has to win a slew of meta-level impact arguments concerning the nature of interstate conflict and the chances of aliens existing (and violent aliens, at that). Not to mention that the aff has a structural space militarization good argument that can interact with disads in a host of ways, not to mention that if the only aff contention is "we stop bad aliens overseas", there's a low potential for turns on the case, meaning the aff also has an option of jettisoning case and going for turns on a disad, etc. Bullshit notion, for sure, but when translated into debate-speak: a lot of random things you can do that, if mishandled, translate into aff ballot.

Aliens exist: plan is cool

Aliens don't exist: We have extra crap for inhabiting planets and having heg on said planets

The only disad against you could run is econ (which is always retarded) or heg bad (also retarded)

Yeah, the heg disad is definitely terrible...

That is why so many people win rounds on it.

The other concern that I would have about this AFF is the literature base. I do not think that there are a lot of qualified authors out there writing about the feasibility of creating spartan super soldiers.

The other concern that I would have about this AFF is the literature base. I do not think that there are a lot of qualified authors out there writing about the feasibility of creating spartan super soldiers.

I would look up something from Thomas Bearden's article on the infinite possibilities of vacuum energy, or J.R. Nyquist's strategies to combat the ever-growing communist threat.

Oh, wait... you said qualified authors... er.......