Sign in to follow this  
Gedi-Knight

exploration of space...

has anyone thought about the philosophical exploration of space beyond earths mesosphere, like religion, philosophy,like a way of life as charlie sheen would say "not of this terrestrial realm"?

Idk any ideas of crazy k affs not really about space but about space?

has anyone thought about the philosophical exploration of space beyond earths mesosphere, like religion, philosophy,like a way of life as charlie sheen would say "not of this terrestrial realm"?

Idk any ideas of crazy k affs not really about space but about space?

I was thinking about "Observing Space Debris for the 'Cultural Signifigance' of it!" and "Do something crazy and pointless in space that will destroy our economy and collapse Capitalism" or "Philosophical explore outer space... Heidegger shit".

"Do something crazy and pointless in space that will destroy our economy and collapse Capitalism" or "Philosophical explore outer space... Heidegger shit".

I actually was thinking about both of these. Space would seem to be the best possible topic to run an aff about relating to others technologically because there's probably some good literature on it. And if you do an aff about sending things into space that don't work, you probably kill most DA links about conflict and you impact turn any spending DAs, which we all know will be the ultimate next year. And since it doesn't matter what the technology actually does, you can pick the least threatening thing of all time based on the literature base to create hyper-specific no-link arguments for perception based disads.

I actually was thinking about both of these. Space would seem to be the best possible topic to run an aff about relating to others technologically because there's probably some good literature on it. And if you do an aff about sending things into space that don't work, you probably kill most DA links about conflict and you impact turn any spending DAs, which we all know will be the ultimate next year. And since it doesn't matter what the technology actually does, you can pick the least threatening thing of all time based on the literature base to create hyper-specific no-link arguments for perception based disads.

I am actually working on a MASSIVE Heidegger file right now with links of space... poetry and all the jazz as alts. There could be a pretty nice K aff worked up... we would just need some hot T cards saying that metaphysics is "beyond the mesosphere"... looking at the definition of Metaphysics, beyond physics, this could be quite plausable... hmmm... I would be willing to cut up a file for both aff and neg and trade with y'all... give me a month or two (AP testing) and I could have some decent work.

I am PUMPED for this one... if someone would help me cut this, I would be DOWN! I love this idea.

Look up the term "The overview effect". The two main authors are White and O'neil. The idea is that when people go beyond our atmosphere they find a new sense of human ontology per say; they think of our relationship as a planet differently, more of an embrace of cosmopolitanism. It's actually backed by studies and research so I'd recommend going that route just because it will probably be the only real K aff that is uber specific to space exploration and has (arguable) merit.

Look up the term "The overview effect". The two main authors are White and O'neil. The idea is that when people go beyond our atmosphere they find a new sense of human ontology per say; they think of our relationship as a planet differently, more of an embrace of cosmopolitanism. It's actually backed by studies and research so I'd recommend going that route just because it will probably be the only real K aff that is uber specific to space exploration and has (arguable) merit.

that's sounds like a great add in for as Heidegger aff and some nice turns to Heidegger itself!!! If you find it post it!

I haven't read or cut it yet... but this talks about how leaving the Earth throughout space explorations changes our view of ontology.. it could be a way in which we break free of technik... TURN HEIDEGGER!!!!!!! I am going to use this for my Heideggerean K aff.

http://books.google.com/books?hl=en&lr=&id=3a2rz-s3JJsC&oi=fnd&pg=PR9&dq=The+overview+effect&ots=3oKHnytaa1&sig=17shF6OfqzkFwGw2x3tNne69JxY#v=onepage&q&f=false

This one just sounds cool.

http://books.google.com/books?id=vzGEQgAACAAJ&dq=The+overview+effect&lr=&source=gbs_similarbooks_s&cad=1

sounds like the shit

• Downvote 2

Has anyone read that Scientific American article, that talked about sending all the old people on Social Security into space? The dude who wrote it says it'd be cheaper since we wouldn't actually have to BRING them BACK. So, a Spending advantage. Idk, just something

to throw around.

This is interesting...any idea on how to answer the neo-liberalism/globalization turns?

I think the aff is certainly an internal link turn of sorts on the root causes of whats wrong with neoliberalism. (aka the root cause of selfishness--both in terms of how you relate to yourself & the other).

It seems this aff fits nicely with Cuomo was well.

I'm curious how how any potential statism/anarchy debates might go down from an impact debate. Also, in that world, do the privates develop space as NASA is basically dissolved?

it will probably be the only real K aff that is uber specific to space exploration and has (arguable) merit.

You've clearly never met a good K debater.

Specificity **may** help with lay judges, but lack of specificity generally means:

1) less likelihood of impact turn

2) higher propensity the aff and neg doesn't have on point answers.

However, as you get better you come to understand that learning how to debate with:

1) framing

2) nuance (include contrast & juxtaposition)

3) using ballot impacts

4) going deeper in terms of analysis and prediction of potential counter-answers

that you can even make the most used Ks on the topic win debates.

This is interesting...any idea on how to answer the neo-liberalism/globalization turns?

I think the aff is certainly an internal link turn of sorts on the root causes of whats wrong with neoliberalism. (aka the root cause of selfishness--both in terms of how you relate to yourself & the other).

You kind of answered your own question there. The "overview effect" defuses the root cause of the impacts of globalization or neo-liberalism since it shifts how people think of the world as a whole and civilization as a whole.

There are going to be a hell of a lot of teams "exploring the debate space," "making debate a safe-space," and stuff like that. By a "hell of a lot," I mean at least one. Probably.

You've clearly never met a good K debater.

I'm talking actual literature and evidence wise. Heidegger doesn't do comparative studies on how outer space affects humans, probable because he stopped writing before we ever went to the moon.

Specificity **may** help with lay judges, but lack of specificity generally means:

1) less likelihood of impact turn

2) higher propensity the aff and neg doesn't have on point answers.

However, as you get better you come to understand that learning how to debate with:

1) framing

3) using ballot impacts

4) going deeper in terms of analysis and prediction of potential counter-answers

This is a TERRIBLE standard for debate. This is the type of k debate that gives the K a bad name. The fact that you used the term "counter-answers" probably hurts your credibility enough I didn't need to point this out.

I'm talking actual literature and evidence wise. Heidegger doesn't do comparative studies on how outer space affects humans, probable because he stopped writing before we ever went to the moon.

Actually there is a book on the ontological impacts of space travel and globalization... It is all about Heidegger and Space exploration... I have it just PM me... also there is a KICK ASS article on the ontological consequences of copernicus I cut up, but have yet to word process... it's amazing. and again... directly Heidegger.

1) framing

3) using ballot impacts

Not withstanding my use of "counter-answers" instead of "answers."

I've never heard the top critique debaters in the country take issue with ANY of these 4--in fact I think most would say they were in the top 10 ways to create great critique arguments & arguments in general. This is debate skills 101 & 201.

Also, if you re-read my post I think you'll find I suggested that they opt for a more middle of the road or core topic/generic strategy (rather than a squirrel-esque one which runs for the margins of the topic).

Edited by nathan_debate

Would you be able to run the send-shit-into-space-and-make-cap-fail Aff as a policy aff instead of as a kritikal aff? To me that is what it seems like.

yup because no one has written k lit since 1969

lolz

Would you be able to run the send-shit-into-space-and-make-cap-fail Aff as a policy aff instead of as a kritikal aff? To me that is what it seems like.

you could. that's what a team in our district did on the poverty topic.

For the do something to collapse capitalism aff, is there a specific plan that would actually boost relations with certain countries? That would be amazing for link turns. Then you would only have to worry about impact turning econ DA's, impact turning heg DA's, and politics DA's. Besides on case, of course.

For the do something to collapse capitalism aff, is there a specific plan that would actually boost relations with certain countries? That would be amazing for link turns. Then you would only have to worry about impact turning econ DA's, impact turning heg DA's, and politics DA's. Besides on case, of course.

If you're reading a cap bad aff I hardly think outweighing DAs will be a problem

I want to run this extremelly badly... I think you'll easily be able to turn all econ DA's, and the rest could be answered... but what if the plan called for sending SHIT LOAD of stuff into helping the with the ISS and building another ISS... this could easily cost enough to crash cap, but also gain foreign diplomacy making DA having to do w/ relations harder. Idk though... imput? and how could I begin this.

I want to run this extremelly badly... I think you'll easily be able to turn all econ DA's, and the rest could be answered... but what if the plan called for sending SHIT LOAD of stuff into helping the with the ISS and building another ISS... this could easily cost enough to crash cap, but also gain foreign diplomacy making DA having to do w/ relations harder. Idk though... imput? and how could I begin this.

Ya, I kind of want to do this aff too. Does anyone have good evidence on how much it would cost to collapse capitalism? That seems like a major issue, because the US has spent so much, but it still hasn't collapsed yet, so our solvency (collapsing Cap) could be empirically denied.

Sign in to follow this