Sign in to follow this  
InTheFlesh

GDI 4 week or Whitman 3 week?

I was looking to go to the Gonzaga 4 week camp for Sophomores/Juniors/Seniors, but after talking to my mother about the cost, I'm not so sure anymore. I have a few questions regarding these camps, and I'd really appreciate some feedback

1). How much does Gonzaga normally give out for need-based scholarships?

2). Would I be missing out on a lot by having to cut that 4th week?

3). Is Whitman comparable to Gonzaga in terms of quality, or is one much better than the other?

4). I've heard Whitman is very, very policy oriented, is that true?

5). If I'm looking to get more help with critical positions, would Whitman be the wrong place for me to go?

Once again, I appreciate any feedback.

4). I've heard Whitman is very, very policy oriented, is that true?

5). If I'm looking to get more help with critical positions, would Whitman be the wrong place for me to go?

Not having gone to Gonzaga, I'm unqualified to speak for them or compare them directly. That said...

4. Whitman's college debate team is policy oriented. As a good number of the lab leaders are recruited directly from the team, this means that you will have lab leaders who are equally as policy oriented. However, Whitman makes an effort to get lab leaders from outside of the immediate confines of their team, which means you have a good injection of kritikal debating as well. The lab leaders all produce an equal number of each type of argument (DA, CP, K, Aff, etc.) for the camp, so it's not biased. Furthermore, since lab leaders lecture about the aspects of debate that form their strengths, you don't have to worry about your education on K's or policy being skewed.

5. My own personal experience on this is the most helpful I can give. I went to Whitman last year with one goal, and that was to learn how to be a K-hack. By the end of the camp, I was thinking kritikally, successfully going for the K in 2NR's, and fully understanding the K's I learned at camp. The skills I learned there weren't just specific to K's, either; I was able to start debating on military presence being able to fully understand, and even research and personally compile, K's of all sorts.

• Upvote 1

As a staff member of both camps, I will tell you, you cannot go wrong with either choice.

Go with whichever one works best with your schedule. Both camps offer need and merit based scholarships, and can offer you a diverse range of knowledge.

The K: Both staffs have folks who know the K well, but I'd give the edge to GU.