BHS_debater

Round 386: [MILITARY] BHS_debater (aff) vs. jsmith36 (neg)

1. Was the CBCRA voted into law?

clean up after base closure. This card actually plays in perfectly. Says we should reduce by at least 50% and then clean up bases.

2. Why are "terms of art" good?

It'd be like someone asking you what type of debate you do and you replying "debate." Versus "policy debate." Its not just a reduction. Its a substantial reduction. ITs good because it lets us view things in the context that they were intended by the framers to be used

3. Can you explain what "And textuality subsumes other arguments like ground since the text is the only predictable basis for argumentation" means further?

The only predictable basis for argumentation in debate is that which stems from the textuality of the language. Aka, if i mean get rid of completely i say eliminate. If i mean get rid of some but not all, i say reduce. This subsumes ground because by following the textuality of the language we both gain the same, equal ground.

4. How is "shift[ing] U.S. strategy and force posture" as per your Long 10 card "one action"? Can you describe your last point on T more in depth?

Long 10 is just saying that one of the hottest debates right now is over CT vs COIN. What i'm saying is that you're whining about "predictability" and "ground" is nonsense because our case is so popular and well known.

5. What is the link between potential abuse and spec arguments?

We all know there is no actual abuse with the spec arguments and teams shouldnt win on them, but allowing potential abuse means teams will run them every round just because there is always something that could be "potentially" abusive.

6. Can you describe your legal training and experience in courtrooms that leads you to conclude that "judges in courtrooms don’t throw cases out because they might unbalance something in the future."

If there is evidence that someone committed murder, the judge isnt going to rule not guilty just because in a future case there might not be good evidence for a murder. Judges judge on a case by case basis, only referring to PAST cases for guidance. Not potential things in the future.

7. Why does dispo discourage you from making perms and defensive arguments if I still have to answer any offense?

1. You just proved my "euphemizes conditionality" and "strategy skew" arguments.

2. Because for me, the most strategic option is to have you go for everything. By running dispo and allowing yourself to spike out if i make even one defense arg, you're essentially making me choose to allow you to be conditional, or killing my strat by trying to straight turn everything.

8. Why aren't permutations "multiple worlds"?

Because we can do both at the same time...?

9. Where in any of your CT cards does it say environmental cleanup?

"good projects could continue to be undertaken in electricity, water, irrigation, health, education, agriculture, rural development and in other areas favoured by development agencies" - Stewart of 9. Its a heck of a lot more conclusive on the issue than all of your ev.

10. If the CP does the plan once environmental damage is cleaned up,why doesn't that solve the case?

1. If this is true, no reason why the perm wont solve.

2. Cleaning up could take awhile. As per our advantages, we cant wait any longer. Everyday we wait, our internal link scenerios to hard power gain steam, and our diplomacy is shredded even more.

11. What are Tom Krebsbach's qualifications to speak on international law?

He's stating the obvious fact that what we did was against i-law. I dont think author cred is a debate you want to get into...

12. Can you pick out the part of the card where Kretkowski says COIN causes inevitable withdrawal? I understand he says "fatigue" and "abandon foreign policy leadership" - but does he say "withdrawal"?

Abandon foreign policy leadership sounds alot like withdrawing and leaving to me. Also, our stewart 9 indicates that if we dont start shrinking now we wont be able to maintain any presence.

13. If I win that Kretkowski doesn't say we'll withdraw, is the moral imperative argument a reason to vote Aff?

No.

1. if we win the CP or the net bens, you dont access moral imperative

2. We have multiple warrants and authors arguing we'll end up withdrawing completely if we dont leave. You wont win it

14. Why isn't your Stewart 10 card enough of a "military says Yes" card?

You can make the argument, but in doing so you'll be conceding an internalt to heg, as well as disproving your CMR disad by proving that we wont piss the military off.

15. Where in C-X did I say I'm not defending multiple realms?

You asked me what it was. Just kinda guessing that means you arent defending it...

16. My uniqueness card on CMR is from September 2010. Yours is from March 2010. Why doesn't my card assume the developments in your card?

1. Ours has better warrants, so it should still be given more weight.

2. If thats the case it proves we can go through high and low CMR and not have any impacts

17. Why don't developments that happened after your card was written, such as the McChrystal Rolling Stone article, mean your card doesn't accurately describe the world of CMR today?

Once again, ours is pretty warrant packed, and we'd see the impacts already. A non-unique just means its already been low before and no impacts happened.

18. Can you explain the warrants behind your Kohn 10 card?

"Civil-military relations under Democratic administrations, from Truman to Kennedy to Johnson to Carter to Clinton, became more toxic with each. The leading Democratic contenders today have no military experience or feel for military culture" - democrats suck at maintaining CMR. History proves this

19. The non-highlighted section of your Lubold 10 card says "Mullen said it’s time to invest in other departments, such as homeland security, intelligence, and the State Department, whose budget pales compared to massive Pentagon funding."

Does your plan invest in those departments?

We dont have to to access it. The ev talks about how military leaders support more civ control. Thats the key point made by the card.

20. Who is Huntington and why is he relevent?

He basically says that the military is best fit. This is flawed because the military doesn't know the politics of war. We cant leave the civilian control out of it.

Maybe more later.

Sweet

Sweet

Alright. I'm not going to ask any follow up questions. There a 99% that you're a nice guy, and I don't think I can ask any questions without sounding like a jerk.

2NC will be up by tomorrow.

Sorry about the delay man. Between work and a bunch of big projects due at school this week and registration for college, i'm kinda low on spare time. Dont worry we will finish this for sure. Just be patient with me. To be fair and not give myself extra time or whatever, i wont even look at the speech until i'm ready to CX.

Sorry about the delay man. Between work and a bunch of big projects due at school this week and registration for college, i'm kinda low on spare time. Dont worry we will finish this for sure. Just be patient with me. To be fair and not give myself extra time or whatever, i wont even look at the speech until i'm ready to CX.

Any guess on when it may happen?

Any guess on when it may happen?

It could be happening right now but the mediafire link takes me to a page that says the file was deleted..

1) You concede CMR was low before the Mcrystal events, right?

2) You defend multiple realms/worlds?

3) How do you access heg better than the aff.

1Nr can go up after you answer these

1) You concede CMR was low before the Mcrystal events, right?

No. CMR was LOWER before the McChrystal event, but not LOW.

2) You defend multiple realms/worlds?

I don't know what "multiple realms" are. It sounds like something from World of Warcraft or Dungeons and Dragons.

But seriously, there is no interaction between the two CP's. They exist in "multiple worlds".

3) How do you access heg better than the aff.

Because the CP does 100% of the AFF, so it solves at least as good as the AFF, plus the risk of the heg turn on CMR means you'll always prefer the CP's access to heg.

1Nr can go up after you answer these

1NR will be up in a minute.

Sweet. I'm workin on the 1ar, bout halfway done. I have to go to work for the night so i'm hoping to have it up tomorrow.

Sweet. I'm workin on the 1ar, bout halfway done. I have to go to work for the night so i'm hoping to have it up tomorrow.

Are we still on?

Yes. I told you i would finish. I've just got alot going on right now man. I do my final presentation of the project i've been working on tomorrow, so hopefully i will have time to wrap this debate up after that.