Sign in to follow this  
Mister Sulu

Major League Baseball 2011

Can't believe there's not a thread for this yet.

I suppose I'll start one.

I'm wondering how long it takes before the Royals start acting like the Royals.

I'm wondering how long it takes before the Royals start acting like the Royals.

May. Their April schedule is weak. I'm crossing my fingers though. My boy Alex Gordon is finally starting to hit the damn ball. Inevitably, though, the Royals will be the Royals: Jason Kendall will start playing every game, Milky Cabrera and Frenchy (the two most overcoveted players in GMDM's history) will be staples of the lineup, and after a couple of weeks of struggling Kila Monster or Alcides Escobar will end up in Papillion (the O-Royals moved a few miles southwest).

At least we're probably better than the Indians.

Probably.

• Downvote 1

Alcides is here to stay. We saw flashes of his defensive skill tonight. Did you see that throw-out at first in the 12th (or was it 11th?)? Absolutely sick. Kila will find his groove, but I imagine he'll be around. I don't think it's a huge stretch to say that he's a better defensive 1st baseman than Butler is.

I'm just excited for the next couple of years. Moustakas comes up, Aviles moves to second, Getz moves to utility/pinch running. Little bit longer, Colon comes up, moves to second, Aviles moves to super utility. Perez comes up, Royals never need another catcher. Hosmer comes up, GMDM has to make a decision about whether he'd rather have Butler or Ka'aihue in the DH. Myers comes up, Melky (or Francouer [though Frenchy has a nice arm, so defensively, he may be the guy to keep], whatever) disappears, etc.

I just can't help but be impressed by the way the bullpen's played, particularly in comparison to last year. Watching Aaron Crow pitch relief is fun. Jeffress has some gas, and I'm curious about Tim Collins.

Alcides is here to stay. We saw flashes of his defensive skill tonight. Did you see that throw-out at first in the 12th (or was it 11th?)? Absolutely sick. Kila will find his groove, but I imagine he'll be around. I don't think it's a huge stretch to say that he's a better defensive 1st baseman than Butler is.

I'm just excited for the next couple of years. Moustakas comes up, Aviles moves to second, Getz moves to utility/pinch running. Little bit longer, Colon comes up, moves to second, Aviles moves to super utility. Perez comes up, Royals never need another catcher. Hosmer comes up, GMDM has to make a decision about whether he'd rather have Butler or Ka'aihue in the DH. Myers comes up, Melky (or Francouer [though Frenchy has a nice arm, so defensively, he may be the guy to keep], whatever) disappears, etc.

I just can't help but be impressed by the way the bullpen's played, particularly in comparison to last year. Watching Aaron Crow pitch relief is fun. Jeffress has some gas, and I'm curious about Tim Collins.

Dude. The bullpen. Yes. Aaron Crow is a BEAST, which is hard for me to say because he's a Misery alum. Tim Collins is a nice back-up option for whenever the Mexicutioner becomes trade bait. This bullpen if it keeps performing well could easily be the best in a relatively weak AL central bullpen. I'd like to see Jeffress or Crow eventually land in a starting role, though that may be unnecessary with Danny Duffy and Mike Montgomery coming up hopefully soon. Vin Mazzaro should also be in a starting role IMO.

I don't think that the Royals roster needs Frenchy, Milkman and Maier at the same time. Maier is a better defensive outfielder than Milkman and will put up similar offensive numbers (with a probably higher OBP and UZR than Cabrera). Frenchy I'm not quite as bleh about as Cabrera, but I'd much rather see Gregor Blanco or Lorenzo Cain in the outfield than him. But if he has a good year I guess he'll be decent tradebait.

edit: Also, yes, that play was amazing. Betancourt would've screwed that up.

Edited by rjk

Alex Gordon warrants a double post. Double and a couple of good defensive plays. Dear Major League baseball: you're welcome. Regards, the state of Nebraska

Dodgers vs Giants games are going to be a blast this year!

Yes, also I lived in Claremont till i was 16, so you get pos rep everytime I see you.

• Upvote 1

We wanna do predictions?

AL:

1. Red Sox

2. Rangers

3. Tigers

WC. Yankees

NL:

1. Philies

2. Reds

3. Rockies

WC. Braves

I can't imagine anything but a red sox-phillies world series

im planning on going to the tigers royals game sunday in detroit. thoughts on who i should watch and be interested in for the royals?

im planning on going to the tigers royals game sunday in detroit. thoughts on who i should watch and be interested in for the royals?

Outside of the usual Billy/Kila/Soria stuff:

Melchy Cabrera - just kidding

Alex Gordon - he's playing great defense and driving the ball. Will either be big part of 2012/2013 world series run or excellent trade bait

Alcides Escobar - stud defensively, what can his bat do?

Aaron Crow - Mizzou alum (lame), but beast of a fastball and he's been total money out of the bullpen.

We wanna do predictions?

AL:

1. Red Sox

2. Rangers

3. Tigers

WC. Yankees

NL:

1. Philies

2. Reds

3. Rockies

WC. Braves

I can't imagine anything but a red sox-phillies world series

Funny, because I don't even see the Sox making the playoffs.

AL:

1. Yankees (East) -- because there is no God

2. Rangers (West) -- because there is no competition

3. Tigers (Central) -- because there is little competition

4. Orioles (WC) -- because, just because.

NL:

1. Phillies (East) -- because there is no God

2. Brewers (Central) -- because of Zack Greinke

3. Giants (West) -- because the national league is boring and you don't need offense

4. Braves (WC) -- because I'm a secret Braves homer

ALDS: Yankees over Orioles (no God); Tigers over Rangers (meh)

ALCS: Yankees over Tigers (no God)

NLDS: Braves over Phillies (because my hatred of Philadelphia impairs my judgment); Brewers over Giants (Zack Attack)

NLCS: Brewers over Braves (Zack Attack)

WS: Yankees over Brewers (because there is no God)

Edited by rjk
  • Upvote 3

Position players: Butler, Gordon, Escobar

RP: Tim Collins, Jeremy Jeffress (he's got some gas), Aaron Crow (sick slider), and Joakim Soria (though this one's pretty obvious).

For the lulz--Marvel at what an offensive failure Chris Getz looks like, and then be dumbfounded at his inexplicable ability to get hits.

From there... eh.

re: above predictions--the NL Central will be a tight race between Milwaukee and Cincinnati.

Edited by BenR
  • Upvote 1

The Os are 6-3 despite being down over half the rotation and the offense being much worse than it should be going forward. We're probably not winning anything this year, but a playoff game at Camden Yards would be incredible. 85 or so wins seems reasonable unless Matusz comes back and teams up with Britton to go into super-GOD mode in the rotation.

I was there Friday, which was the only game against the Royals that they won. Proving my theory that my presence in the stands helps the home team win (fucking dodgers NEVER win at busch when im there).

So if anyone wants there team to win the World Series, simply buy me season tickets and well be set.

The Os are 6-3 despite being down over half the rotation and the offense being much worse than it should be going forward. We're probably not winning anything this year, but a playoff game at Camden Yards would be incredible. 85 or so wins seems reasonable unless Matusz comes back and teams up with Britton to go into super-GOD mode in the rotation.

The AL East and in fact the AL in general is down this year. 85 wins would be enough for the wild car this year; the AL Central will be awful as usual (and the games for the Tigers and White Sox against the Royals that used to be guarantees wins will not be this year), the AL West is laughable, and the AL East is legitimately down -- Tampa lost a lot and is melting down, Boston is overrated, and the Yankees will probably crank out 88-90 wins because there is no God. Also, Toronto, lol. Baltimore will be a legit contender in the AL East and wild card this year.

The Orioles are FOR REAL, y'all. Wieters is legit, they have good speed and offense in the outfield, and a lot of young talented pitchers in their starting rotation. Reminds me a lot of the Rays team that made the World Series run a few years ago.

Just for fun, my predictions (within a few games), these are probably not all mathematically possible:

National League -- who cares

AL East:

1. Yanks, 92-70

2. Orioles, 89-73 (WC)

3. Red Sox, 84-78

4. Rays, 79-83

5. Blue Jays, 75-87

AL Central:

1. Tigers, 85-77

2. White Sox, 82-80

3. Royals, 78-84

4. Twins, 69-93 (I'm talking epic meltdown)

AL West:

1. Rangers, 93-69

2. Angels, 79-83

3. Athletics, 76-86

4. Mariners, 66-96

The Orioles are FOR REAL, y'all. Wieters is legit, they have good speed and offense in the outfield, and a lot of young talented pitchers in their starting rotation. Reminds me a lot of the Rays team that made the World Series run a few years ago.

Idk about speed. Adam Jones and Brian Roberts are the only 2 real base stealing threats in the lineup. And Felix Pie whenever he gets in. The season comes down to pitching. I think Britton will be fine, Matusz will be great, and Guthrie will be solid. The last 2 spots need to be solid and I'm not sold we're gonna get solid performances from them. Tillman is losing a lot of velocity and doesn't really have a true out pitch at this point, Bergeson has been lolbad and really needs to start pitching regularly to see if he can give us something, I like Arrieta going forward but I don't see his ceiling as any better than a solid 3/4 type starter and finally Duke is hurt and has been since he was born. If we get solid performances from that group of 4, then the Os are back in business. But I barely remember the 96/97 teams and have only been hurt by the Orioles in the past so I choose to believe that nothing good will happen and may be be pleasantly surprised in the future.

NL:

East: Phillies

Central: Reds

West: Giants

WC: Rockies

AL:

East: Red Sox (Despite the God awful start)

Central: Tigers

West: Rangers

WC: Yankees

NLDS:

Phillies over Rockies

Reds over Giants

NLCS:

Phillies over Reds

ALDS:

Rangers over Yankees

Redsox over Tigers

ALCS:

Rangers over Red Sox

WS:

Rangers over Phillies (in 7)

• Upvote 1

I think that the Rockies will be tough to beat if Jimenez gets back to the way he was in 2010. So far he has not pitched that way, but when he is on he is on. Also they are hitting better this year with tulo not being hurt. As well as now having a solid pitching staff. I think that this team can make a deep run, especially because they are a second half team.

• Upvote 1