cmcnulty126

Best Three Week Camps?

Our school was looking at three weeks camps, and I was looking for any recommendations that you may have. We would prefer that the camps do not include the first two weeks of July.

I was looking at the Stanford camp and it looked nice, but I could not really find any info on its quality. Does anyone have any experience with it, or any other recommendations for camps? Price and distance are both non-factors.

Thanks!

Our school was looking at three weeks camps, and I was looking for any recommendations that you may have. We would prefer that the camps do not include the first two weeks of July.

I was looking at the Stanford camp and it looked nice, but I could not really find any info on its quality. Does anyone have any experience with it, or any other recommendations for camps? Price and distance are both non-factors.

Thanks!

sdi i heard is pretty good and has a three week program, as well as georgetown. i would also recommended utnif, but it is during the first two weeks of july, i think (someone correct me if i am wrong). If you have an extra week, you could try northwestern.

If you go to session 2 (of UTNIF), you can just make it (it starts July 16).

Edited by jgorman
clarification

You can't beat Wyoming Forensics institute. http://www.uwyo.edu/COJO/Debate/WFI.html

The timing might not totally work out (July 10th - 30th). But if your school is going then the pricing is incredible for the quality of the camp. They've got this referral discount and with a bunch of people you guys could save TONS.

Whitman and Gonzaga both have very good three week programs that I would recommend looking into. I don't know personally when the Gonzaga camp is, but Whitman seems to fit your schedule requirements perfectly.

I've done the SDI 3-week program twice, and it's great if you want to learn how to debate hard-core policy (read: anti-critical). I would highly recommend it if you like that kind of approach to debate.

On the topic of 3-week camps, I myself have found 4 that fit around my schedule. If you were to rank these camps from 1 being the worst to 10 being the best, how would you rank them?

Kentucky National Debate Institute

California National Debate Institute

Michigan National Debate Institue

Univeristy of Northern Texas Debate Camp

The only one I'm iffy on is KNDI because it's the day after Nationals ends.

I am unaware of the other camps, but UNT is a great camp. It has decent food, dorms, and great staff (except for Kirsch, but you get used to him after a while [jk]). I hear Jairus Groves and Louie Petite are hosting the top lab again and they were phenomenal last year. If you can get into the top lab (which it seems like it since you are going to nationals) then these are probably the best lab leaders you will get in a 3 week camp/

• Downvote 1

Obviously, I would recommend Georgetown -

It's worth noting that 4/6 of the freshmen in NDT elims went to the Georgetown Debate Seminar.

The dates may not be compatible - I think it's in your range, Vincent7, and at least merits your consideration.

If that's not your cup of tea, I have previously worked at the University of North Texas workshop, and would recommend it very highly to any student.

On the topic of 3-week camps, I myself have found 4 that fit around my schedule. If you were to rank these camps from 1 being the worst to 10 being the best, how would you rank them?

Kentucky National Debate Institute

California National Debate Institute

Michigan National Debate Institue

The only one I'm iffy on is KNDI because it's the day after Nationals ends.

MNDI

UNT

CNDI

KNDI

I'd recommend Georgetown for 3 weeks, it condenses a lot of knowledge and practice into a short period. Stanford swing would be the lab you should consider if you want to go there but its required that you go to a camp before attending so that may not be an option

Yeah, I already researched Georgetown and it didn't fit my schedule. I can only go from June 19th to July 15th, so only things in that range are fine for me. I guess UNT would be good seeing as how it's like less than an hour away from nationals. And Banana, I don't think I'd make it into scholars, I've only qualified to nationals in Congress, haha.

Thanks everyone.

Whitman and Gonzaga both have very good three week programs that I would recommend looking into.

I did the GDI 3 week debate track when i was a freshman, and it was a very good experience. You don't cut any cards though, you just write blocks from cards cut by the 4 weekers and have a ton of practice debates, so it's definitely a good option if you're fairly new to debate and would like to get in a lot of practice.

The MNDI plus plus plus is fantastic as well

As another biased party, the UTNIF session 1 does fit into the dates you specified above. Skills intensive focuses primarily on your skills in both making coherent and persuasive arguments in a debate round and the acumen of delivery. I think it is one of the best program designs for those who are looking for major improvement in speaking. There is a research component as well, but the majority of your time is spent debating. All the labs are usually under 15 people with a minimum of 2 lab leaders, so individual attention is high. The lab leaders skew older than most other camps, but that's because there is a premium placed on the ability to teach debate, not just knowledge how to debate.

Topic intensive is more research oriented, so there are fewer practice debates, but you are still highly encouraged in the development of skills. You learn how to put together an aff from beginning to end and are in, again, an extremely small lab setting.

This is a camp with an extremely strong kritikal component. You also learn all the nuances of policy debate, but you can also get a lot of practice both debating innovative kritiks and learning how to answer critical arguments with much more finesse.

Edited by South-X
Advertising
  • Upvote 1

Yeah, I already researched Georgetown and it didn't fit my schedule. I can only go from June 19th to July 15th,

Not to quibble, but Georgetown does, in fact, fit those dates precisely.

(6/19 - 7/10)

If you need to come a day late, let us know.

My email address is mja72@georgetown.edu - feel free to contact me personally if you need some scheduling flexibility.

Good luck!

I was really happy with my 3-week experience at the GDI (debate track). It's definitely not geared towards those who want to learn how to research to be nationally competitive but you do do a bunch of block writiing, ev analysis, and practice debates so if that's what you want, this is the camp. It's also just a lot of fun.

From the site, it looks like the leaders this year are: Cameron Ward, Paul Kanellopoulos, and Beth Mendenhall.

I don't know about that Paul Kanellopawhatever guy, but everyone else seems legit.

Hm, UTNIF seems interesting as well, but the Kritikal component doesn't quite interest me. I'm in a circuit where Kritiks are frowned upon for the most part, so I'm more interested in learning how to beat most kritiks than I am for running them.

And thanks for pointing out the part about Georgetown being available in those time slots, I must have missed that. Unfortunately, I don't see how well Georgetown can compete with UNT on getting to the actual camp, seeing as how UNT is willing to pick people up from nationals and take them to the camp. But still, I'll consider it. Thanks for clearing that up.

Hm, UTNIF seems interesting as well, but the Kritikal component doesn't quite interest me. I'm in a circuit where Kritiks are frowned upon for the most part, so I'm more interested in learning how to beat most kritiks than I am for running them.

And thanks for pointing out the part about Georgetown being available in those time slots, I must have missed that. Unfortunately, I don't see how well Georgetown can compete with UNT on getting to the actual camp, seeing as how UNT is willing to pick people up from nationals and take them to the camp. But still, I'll consider it. Thanks for clearing that up.

Yeah, we don't pick people up from nationals. UNT is definitely a strong camp and you should consider it; the staff is really good. If you have any specific questions about Georgetown, feel free to email me.

The Cal National Debate Institute offers 2, 3, and 4 week camps from June 19 - July 16. The 3 week camp is June 19- July 9

Please visit our website at http://cndi.wikispaces.com/home

Feel free to send me an e-mail if you have any questions - jonahfeldman@berkeley.edu

Faculty this year includes:

Matt Fisher - Current NDT Champion

Greta Stahl - Former Director of Debate at MSU, and NDT Champion as both a debater and a coach

...plus many more brilliant debate minds!