rjk

Obama's 2012 campaign

I voted for Obama in 2008, but I'm not that happy with where things have gone since then. I look forward to a robust and competitive campaign season next year.

I voted for Obama in 2008, but I'm not that happy with where things have gone since then. I look forward to a robust and competitive campaign season next year.

A++, would LOL again

Chances are good I will be voting "No Contest" as a write-in again. Was disappointed when I found out it's not an option on the ballot.

Chances are good I will be voting "No Contest" as a write-in again. Was disappointed when I found out it's not an option on the ballot.

It's on there under different spellings, like "Green," "Libertarian," and "Communist,"

• Upvote 2

I wrote in "Richard Feynman" in 2008. Yep, dead Nobel prize-winning physicist/philosopher.

I look forward to doing it again next year.

• Upvote 2

out of curiosity-whats the point of doing that?

I can't speak for Ankur, but I don't trust politicians in general, and the ones running for president tend to be totally unqualified for the job (mostly because there doesn't seem to be anyone out there qualified for such a job that wouldn't become corrupt or crack under the pressure). On top of that, I think the voting process in the United States is absolutely horrendous and discourages anyone from running who a) doesn't have $10,000 to pony up just for the running fee (ignoring campaigning costs) and B) isn't a party whore. However, I still want to express my dissatisfaction, and not voting seems like the lazy option; thus, for me, it's no contest.

I can't speak for Ankur, but I don't trust politicians in general, and the ones running for president tend to be totally unqualified for the job (mostly because there doesn't seem to be anyone out there qualified for such a job that wouldn't become corrupt or crack under the pressure).

Douglas Adams put it best:

One of the many major problems with governing people is that of whom you get to do it; or rather of who manages to get people to let them do it to them. To summarize: it is a well known fact, that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it. To summarize the summary: anyone who is capable of getting themselves made president should on no account be allowed to do the job. To summarize the summary of the summary: people are a problem.

so in your guys' opinions, who is someone who would never run but would make a good president? Is it better to avoid engagement in politics because we would simply chose the less of two evils?

so in your guys' opinions, who is someone who would never run but would make a good president? Is it better to avoid engagement in politics because we would simply chose the less of two evils?

i think one of the key points that many of us are making is that a bit of cynicism is healthy.

out of curiosity-whats the point of doing that?

Micropolitical resistance? Apathy towards the partisan politics of the current political climate? Dissatisfaction with a corrupt two-party system? Does it really matter?

Obama is ill suited for the job, so was McCain. I insisted on voting for neither because I think American citizens have a right to demand a REAL leader, a visionary for guiding America forward through the next term - not just the lesser of two evils.

George Carlin famous commented (not verbatim) "that all the smartest, most talented individuals shy away from public service because they can provide the most value in the private sector. As such, you're already looking at 2nd class citizens when it comes to government and politics. Furthermore, if you have a society of greedy, narcissistic, self-indulgent, self-righteous individuals, then your government is going to be filled with greedy, narcissistic, self-indulgent, self-righteous politicians. Garbage in-garbage out."

My faith in American democracy wanes with the realization that the politicians in this country stopped serving the people's interest many decades ago. Its further complicated by my increasing discomfort with the average American's degree of political awareness and lack of political participation. In a world in which compared to Sarah 'Hockeymom' Palin, the average 12th grade debater is more politically aware of global concerns, and could present a litany of policy changes for the better, its shocking that millions of Americans blindly follow her Pied Piper soundbites like children to the pipe. As the adage goes, think of how dumb the average American is... and then realize that 50% of people are dumber still. As quaintly said immediately above, the problem is people.

If you would like to see a small taste of the policy positions I take (which are a grand mixture of conservative and liberal), see this thread. But nothing I say or advocate, nor that of other policy hacks, would ever come to fruition because the leadership lacks the political will and the impetus for real, meaningful change.

For example, the bulk of the Bush era tax cuts went to upper income earners (i.e. people least affected in the recession). Furthermore, US corporate tax rate of 35% encourages offshoring of operations. But loopholes exist whereby companies like Coca Cola can simply lock up their recipe in a Swiss vault and claim that their operations are based in Switzerland, pay lower Swiss taxes and avoid much of the American tax despite the fact that the overwhelming bulk of their operations are still here in America. The end result is that consumers in America spend money on products giving American corporations profits which they then park overseas or invest internationally in countries like Brazil, Russia, India and China. This is an exportation of not only investment dollars but jobs as well, and its all due to the corporate tax structure and associated loopholes. Exporting jobs for cost-lowering endeavors is a capitalist reality and ultimately beneficial, but encouraging it via tax structure is especially damaging. Taxes inherently create inefficiency and loss, but they are a necessary evil which is why it behooves me to wonder why the leadership can't manage to minimize the deleterious effects of taxes on the economy. I would be in favor of a one time tax holiday on offshore profits followed by a lowering of the overall corporate tax to 20-25% (which is more competitive with the other 1st and 2nd world nations and would combat exporting profits) and changes to the tax policy such that profits measured locally are taxed locally regardless of destination. The tax holiday would provide 1 trillion dollar influx of capital into the private sector (the sector which needs it most). This would spur corporate capital investments and accelerate hiring to combat the outrageous unemployment problem persistent in post-recession. A mere 10% tax rate on the re-import of profits would provide an immediate $100 billion to federal coffers to help combat the deficits. Prevention of exporting profits would result in hundreds of billions more in tax revenue through downstream effects of reinvestment in America. And repeal of the Bush era tax cuts for the rich would provide an instant boost of $500 billion to the budget. The win-win is that if a true recovery begins as it would with the above policy changes, there would be significantly lower government outlays as less citizens would be accepting social services, further lowering the deficit. I would guess that given these changes, we would be nearing revenue neutral in five years. Couple that with ending the wars abroad and eliminating pork projects would lead us on a path to surplus which could be used to pay down our mountain of debt.

But do you think that would ever occur in this political climate? Of course not. Real solutions escape government because government has every interest in screwing hard working Americans as long as they can convince citizens that they are really trying.

Edited by Ankur

Obama has a J.D. from Hahvahad Law, where he was editor of the law review. Whether or not you think he's an effective leader, I'm willing to bet he's quite intelligent overall.

Obama has a J.D. from Hahvahad Law, where he was editor of the law review. Whether or not you think he's an effective leader, I'm willing to bet he's quite intelligent overall.

I didn't say he was a dumbass a la Bush Jr. I said "ill suited for the job"

tl;dr: i think im smarter than all the candidates, i'd vote for myself if i wasn't a minority?

;)

Of course I'm smarter. I'm a master debater. And heck no, I don't want the job. I'm one of the people whose talents are best served in the private sector! Hello pharma, here I come! :wavey:

Edited by Ankur

Did you just say that being editor of the law review shows that youre an effective leader.

Did you just say that being editor of the law review shows that youre an effective leader.

Did you forget how to read? He said that being editor of the Hahvahd law review makes him intelligent.

IMO, the cartoon just proves we have a system that makes it nearly impossible to accomplish any specific agenda. We made it hard for one person to force their will on the public, and that's why we have watered down, incremental change.

Anyone really believe Obama wanted the HC bill that actually passed as is? Anyone really believe he could have gotten the bill he campaigned on without serious compromise?

Did you forget how to read? He said that being editor of the Hahvahd law review makes him intelligent.

Or, at the very least, intelligence and law review are correlated...

I'm gonna vote for Sarah Palin for teh lulz

"The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter."

Sir Winston Churchill