choopa

LD TOC 2011 - Jalon Alexander discussion

For those of you that don't know - Jalon Alexander was admitted to the TOC (not even on the waiting list) without getting a single bid. The rules clearly state, as I'm sure all of you know, that it is mandatory to have 1 TOC bid to apply for the at large. This post isn't about hating on Jalon, its just about how fucking disgusting the TOC advisory commitee is for 1) Even thinking about allowing someone with no bids into the TOC and 2) Even if they found some justification for it, allowing the applicant to skip over ALL of the people on the wait-list that HAVE Earned TOC Bids. The Tournament of Connections has blatantly disregarded its own rules twice now. I'm sure there are a lot of deserving applicants that didn't have a bid that would love to apply, but unfortunately thats just not how reality works. The official explanation is that Jalon had tabulation errors that put a judge he preffed a "4" into the first outround of some tournament against a debater who preffed that person a "1", thus he was "screwed" by the tournament director and deserves to go to TOC.

Aside from that situation happening all the time, I just find it sick that the TOC would blatantly break its own rules for qualifying - My teammate is sitting on the wait list right now, furious that someone that has not earned a single bid is now going to the TOC ---- And I understand why.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

For those of you that don't know - Jalon Alexander was admitted to the TOC (not even on the waiting list) without getting a single bid. The rules clearly state, as I'm sure all of you know, that it is mandatory to have 1 TOC bid to apply for the at large. This post isn't about hating on Jalon, its just about how fucking disgusting the TOC advisory commitee is for 1) Even thinking about allowing someone with no bids into the TOC and 2) Even if they found some justification for it, allowing the applicant to skip over ALL of the people on the wait-list that HAVE Earned TOC Bids. The Tournament of Connections has blatantly disregarded its own rules twice now. I'm sure there are a lot of deserving applicants that didn't have a bid that would love to apply, but unfortunately thats just not how reality works. The official explanation is that Jalon had tabulation errors that put a judge he preffed a "4" into the first outround of some tournament against a debater who preffed that person a "1", thus he was "screwed" by the tournament director and deserves to go to TOC.

Aside from that situation happening all the time, I just find it sick that the TOC would blatantly break its own rules for qualifying - My teammate is sitting on the wait list right now, furious that someone that has not earned a single bid is now going to the TOC ---- And I understand why.

tl;dr

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I am fairly sure he graduated last year, didn't he? He's listed on the faculty list for a LD camp out in Texas, can't remember which one. But the bio talks about him debating in 11th and 12th grade, as if it were in the past.

Victory Breifs deleted the page with the Jalon Discussion and left this in its place:

"

UPDATE: We have always strived at VBD to provide a forum where the debate community can engage in a constructive dialogue. This thread, unfortunately, has strayed beyond the appropriate norms for community discussion and arguably legal propriety. Going forward, we are going to develop explicit guidelines for discussion on the site and hope people will engage in a thoughtful and constructive dialogue in the future. Thanks. "

WE WILL NOT BE SILENCED!

Well, aside from the profanity-laden posts that admins already deleted, this thread has been in-line with forum rules. Carry on.

I didn't remove it, Ross did, but I suspect it was because your post quoted a profane post that he also deleted.

Ahh.

In that case:

Why is he going to the TOC but OPMC isn't?

What is this I don't even...

• Upvote 1

While I personally have chosen not to participate in this discussion to any extant other than commenting on the poor discourse I see (on VBD) the last venue remaining for discussing this issue is Cross-X, Lddebate.org and VBD have blocked posting privileges so I feel it is our duty to do our best to ensure that for those that want the discussion to continue moderate this thread to protect its integrity.

I think there's a rule that disqualifies hybrid teams from bidding. But I guess "rules" are flexible these days.

Yeah, I remember this rule. We tried to get around it, but that didn't work.

And so a movement began...

Their out of this is that they said that "the letter said to consider all no bid debaters with exceptional circumstances." Lol, no other 0 bid debaters applied, nor was this letter publicized (even now it hasn't been published.) It's as if they're reading Hosni Mubarak's press releases in a debate style.

why are comments being deleted because of profanity? i dont know the context as these posts have been deleted, but assuming the posts are not "threatening" what is the justification for removing them?

• Upvote 1

Yeah, I remember this rule. We tried to get around it, but that didn't work.

And so a movement began...

I guess it won't succeed unless you challenge it on the molecular level, amirite? :)

why are comments being deleted because of profanity? i dont know the context as these posts have been deleted, but assuming the posts are not "threatening" what is the justification for removing them?

Ross (South-X) deleted the posts. Since he's an admin, his decisions trump my forum rules, contact him for specifics. However, the posts, in addition to containing profanity, were also generally irrelevant/dilatory to the discussion. I would have deleted them under my forum rules had I seen them first.

I will say profanity in all its forms isn't allowed as per the small paragraph you see when you sign up for the site. The purpose of this is to try and encourage at least in the forums about debate a willingness of coaches to participate in discussions because of the value they can add, profanity certainly only helps to narrow the potential users willing to comment.

Additionally I believe those posts were mostly tied to an original post that was problematic, I just deleted the following posts as part of cleaning up that original part.

For instance if someone comes in with an inappropriate comment I usually just delete the whole line of commentary related to that so the original discussion can continue.

Has there always been a profanity rule, or was it just not really enforced before?

I lol'd

Has there always been a profanity rule, or was it just not really enforced before?

The rule is the same, but the site was having problems functioning before much less being moderated. As people have said here though we are willing to let people discuss and even criticize decisions like this one openly, and that alone makes a lot of coaches try and deter their students from coming here.

• Downvote 3

I guess it won't succeed unless you challenge it on the molecular level, amirite? :)

Resonance negro. It's how we jam.