InTheFlesh

7 coworkers win the lottery, one chose not to play because he, "wasn't feeling lucky"

http://guyism.com/humor/man-misses-out-on-319-million-office-pool-due-to-not-feeling-lucky.html

A team of seven IT coworkers won the New York State Mega Millions jackpot totally $319 million. Awesome for them. But the depressing part? There were usually eight coworkers who pooled money together for lottery tickets. And one opted to sit this one out.

According to a New York Post interview with the owner of the Albany deli who sold the winning lottery ticket, when the coworkers went around the office went around asking who wanted into the pool, the unlucky eighth man (whose identity is unknown) told them he was going to pass this time around since he “wasn’t feeling lucky.”

The deli owner, Jill Cook, says the entire IT team of new lottery winners came into her shop for lunch daily though, as far as she knew, the number of players in the pool could vary wildly from week to week.

Reports have said that the IT workers have yet to show up to work — though it’s still unclear if they just deserted their jobs — after winning the enormous jackpot.

The unlucky would-be pool participant stood to take home about $16 million after taxes had he chipped in.

Money isn’t everything in life, they say. And that’s true. Money is nothing without the other things that come with it like time to enjoy it and love and blah blah. That said, I’d have to say that having $16 million in the bank and banging out dozens of unscrupulous women on my new yacht would probably be better than working in IT in Albany while all your friends are gone. Hell, getting $20 and a cab ride would be better than living in Albany. Have you ever been there? There’s more joy and promise in snuff films than there are in that city.

Do you still cut the 8th guy into the pool, or just leave him out? Justifications?

If the normal practice of the group was to cover people who opted-out of individual drawings, then he should be entitled to share the winnings. But if (as seems more likely given the deli owner's statement) they did not cover for absent colleagues, then he didn't pay, so he didn't play.

I would give him like 10K so he didn't feel horrible. Then I would swim in piles of gold coins like Scrooge McDuck.

• Upvote 8
  • Downvote 1

I would give him his cut of the money minus the cost of a ticket.

Nah... I'd just confiscate all the money and put it in my evidence locker of a wallet