Sign in to follow this  
TejaVepa

Speed Poll

I don't want this thread to become a speed good/ speed bad discussion. I've seen the discussion here many times before, and I don't care to beat a dead horse or lower the drawbridge for the horde of trolls waiting beyond the moat.

I just want to ask y'all a few questions regarding this speed stuff. Thankfully they will be Yes/No, but feel free to elaborate

1. Do you have/keep a Speed K/ Speed Theory file?

2. Do you keep answers to said Speed K/ Speed Theory?

3. Would you ever/ Have you ever run a speed K?

4. Have you ever had one run against you?

That is all.

To answer them myself:

1. Yes

2. Yes

3. No

4. No

and let me add, as a coach, I don't want my debaters running this argument. The only time I legitimately endorse this file is for freshmen debaters who are facing either JV or Open competition. I think it's a good way to introduce them to Kritiks, Theory, Meta-Issues, and the concept that they can compete with anyone at any level no matter how outclassed they feel.

This is especially true near the start of the season when they might enter a tournament in Novice/JV category and face sophomores who want to spread them out.

I don't understand the argument that running a speed K will "make debate for fair to novices" - first

a) if the kids are spreading the judges can probably understand it

B) the speed 'k' isn't a good argument

c) if subpoint a is true, then answers will still be read at the "spreading" speed, seeing as most answers are going to be stuff like "no brightline" or "we'll just win this shit is good", which would make it impossible for the novice debaters to probably comprehend sophomores or the sophomore can just vertically spread them.

Edited by Skirtsteak

No

Yes

No

No

Don't read a speed k. Teach novices how to debate right even if they lose a couple rounds at first.

1. No.

2. Yes.

3. No.

4. No.

No

Yes

No

No

1. No

2. Yes

3. No

4. No

this

Can I have somebodies Speed K and AT: Speed K file?

pleaseimaninja(at)yahoo.com

joncookdebate(at)gmail.com