Sign in to follow this  
CRusso

Round: 377: [MILITARY] CRusso (aff) vs. Firewater (neg)

Here's the 1AC. Some of it's highlighted, some isn't. If it's a problem I can highlight it down.http://www.mediafire.com/?7ykud54k89b53a5 Cross-x whenever.

Edited by CRusso
  • Downvote 1

il judge paradime:

t-wont vote unless abusive (voter for fairness and education is cool)

k-explain well

case-i love good impact calc

otherwise im open minded

I'm fine with you.

Yeah I saw that and fixed it. It wasn't letting me upload unless I was logged in for some reason. I just edited the link.

how many PMC's do you actually remove?

What is the timeframe for your economy impact- haven't we been spending billions in various wars for the past few years?

also, in your Stanger 9 evidence, a few questions

- seeing as how long we have been in Afghanistan, why haven't your impacts happened yet in the SQ, if the contractors take up so much of the budget now?

- wouldn't you actually hurt the economy more by taking those jobs away

-as of 2011, what is the percentage of the budget spent on PMC's now?

-who does the plan, directly?

-if there is poor planning and management, as per your Cohen 2/9 evidence, how does removing PMC's change this issue?

-how does removing PMC's stop corruption from occuring?

if it is difficult for civilians to tell the difference between PMC's and the US Military, what assumes that they can tell the difference post plan?

your Senate Armed Forces Committee evidence- it talks about how training is key to prevent the abuses, would the plan solve that problem after plan passes?

are all PMC groups corrupt, or is it only the ones named in your SAFC evidence?

your Murlene 10 evidence talks about how these problems have existed for 7 or 8 years, how do we know if the problems won't be solved post plan?

aren't there other factors to the economic decline in the US other than Military spending?

your Norris and Sweet 10 evidence, where does it say anywhere that the defense spending trades off with other programs or destroys the economy?

your Isenberg 9 evidence, if PMC's already take up 60% of the forces in afghanistan, why hasn't US Hegemony decreased already?

I'll post the 1NC later today, lol.

how many PMC's do you actually remove?

We'll contend that it will be a substantial amount to link into all of your disads and enough to solve for our advantages, because the resolution calls for a substantial withdrawal.

What is the timeframe for your economy impact- haven't we been spending billions in various wars for the past few years?

Owens 08 indicates that when we fund the military industrial complex which is largely made up of PMCs it doesn't go into the economy, which is more harmful then generic defense spending.

also, in your Stanger 9 evidence, a few questions

- seeing as how long we have been in Afghanistan, why haven't your impacts happened yet in the SQ, if the contractors take up so much of the budget now?

I guess this more specifically answers your question above - I'll contend it will take a couple of years for the economy to collapse, but Norris and Sweet indicates that now is a crucial time for changing how we finance the war in Afghanistan.

- wouldn't you actually hurt the economy more by taking those jobs away

Our Stanger evidence indicates that there's also lots of instance in which billions of dollars are wasted in fraud and profiteering, so we'll say that plus the overspending nature of the industry hurt our economy more than the jobs it provides.

Plus Stiglitz indicates an over aggressive military budget is the most harmful thing to our budget.

-as of 2011, what is the percentage of the budget spent on PMC's now?

I can't give you an exact amount, but Obama's done nothing but increase PMCs so probably more.

-who does the plan, directly?

We'll defend normal means on passage but Obama has direct military power as president.

-if there is poor planning and management, as per your Cohen 2/9 evidence, how does removing PMC's change this issue?

A large percentage of our military is dependent on PMCs in Afghanistan, that's Wallace 09 which leads to corruption and poor planning on missions.

-how does removing PMC's stop corruption from occuring?

It doesn't stop it entirely but Senate Armed Services committee and Singer 07 indicate the perception of the government backing PMCs makes any form of reform impossible, and it's in general a majority of corruption in the region.

if it is difficult for civilians to tell the difference between PMC's and the US Military, what assumes that they can tell the difference post plan?

After a couple months they'll realize the U.S. troops have stopped barging into homes and killing civilians.

your Senate Armed Forces Committee evidence- it talks about how training is key to prevent the abuses, would the plan solve that problem after plan passes?

It will allow the Afghani forces to be properly trained which is impossible in a world of PMCs.

are all PMC groups corrupt, or is it only the ones named in your SAFC evidence?

Not all are corrupt, but as of now there's no mechanism preventing corruption, and Mulrine 10/21 indicates it's enough of them to make us lose in Afghanistan.

your Murlene 10 evidence talks about how these problems have existed for 7 or 8 years, how do we know if the problems won't be solved post plan?

There won't be PMCs in Afghanistan, therefor they can't cause problems.

aren't there other factors to the economic decline in the US other than Military spending?

The first sentence in Stiglitz says military spending accounts for the biggest reason of economic decline.

your Norris and Sweet 10 evidence, where does it say anywhere that the defense spending trades off with other programs or destroys the economy

It says we need to shift towards slim defense spending and invest in social programs, and then at the bottom says it's critical to the health of our economy.

your Isenberg 9 evidence, if PMC's already take up 60% of the forces in afghanistan, why hasn't US Hegemony decreased already?

The timeframe is longer then 1 year, but Thayer indicates heg is key for solving everything so conflict will just get worse and worse until heg collapses.

I'll post the 1NC later today, lol.

Cool, should be a fun round.

i can judge if its cool

i default competing interps on t but can be swayed either way

theory is good if its clean but messy theory debates are a nightmare

k's are cool if explained well

disads are cool, good impact calc is a no brainer, same goes for case debate

on cp's, i tend to go neg on theory but do not let that dissuade you, its not a big preference

im pretty tab, nothing is definite, everything goes, off the wall args are fine with me as long as they are well warranted, impact turn anything you want

Edited by anon746

i can judge if its cool

on cp's, i tend to go neg on theory but do not let that dissuade you, its not a big preference

im pretty tab, nothing is definite, everything goes, off the wall args are fine with me as long as they are well warranted, impact turn anything you want

This guy will also vote for The PIC!

i can judge if its cool

You're cool with me. Here's cross-x.

T

1. Where in our plan do we remove Iraqi PMCs?

2. How do you lose politics ground when you run politics with case specific scenarios?

SKFTA

1. What's the warrant behind your Korea Daily card?

2. Your Stein evidence just says PMCs fund 20 million dollars to congress. Where does it say removing them = a politically controversial issue?

3. Your Hill evidence that SKFTA is k2 East Asian stability is from 07. Why haven't we seen collapse in Asia?

4. With recent incidents such as the persistent aggression by North Korea and China and Japan quartering over the Senkaku islands, why hasn't conflict escalated to nuclear?

Afghanistan

1. Will the president have control over ALL foreign policy if we keep pmcs?

2. Your Lansford evidence says sole presidential power solves terrorism. If this is true, why is terrorism and violence increasing in Afghanistan in the squo?

Econ

1. What is the alternative to growth? Do we just sit here and let the econ collapse?

2. How are we supposed to fund programs to help biodiversity in a world without a successful economy?

3. Caldwell says the time is now - that's from 02. Why hasn't this happened?

4. If the judge votes negative, will the U.S. give up searching for resources to help the economy?

Heg

1. What does the international system look like without the U.S. as a hegemon?

2. When do we claim to be imperialist? Or what's the link?

2AC will be up sometime tomorrow.

You're cool with me. Here's cross-x.

T

1. Where in our plan do we remove Iraqi PMCs?

The evidence in the T violation is talking about how PMC's aren't part of the US prescence in any country, so even if the evidence is specific to Iraq, it still states that PMC's aren't considered troops- the definition won't change from country to country.

2. How do you lose politics ground when you run politics with case specific scenarios?

we still lose ground in other areas, not just politics, just because we have a specific link card doesn't mean that ground isn't lost, it's just that exploding ground by allowing cases such as yours would lead to worse debates because of less education

SKFTA

1. What's the warrant behind your Korea Daily card?

Obama's concession has pretty much gained South Korean support, means that it's more likely to pass if he's already giving concessions to South Korea

2. Your Stein evidence just says PMCs fund 20 million dollars to congress. Where does it say removing them = a politically controversial issue?

it's the implications of that funding- if the PMC's have given so much money to congress, they will push the senators who they have given funds to, it'll cause controversy because those senators would be forced to fight against the plan in order to keep the support from their donors, also, it's unlikely that voters, especially in conservative areas would support actions that would appear to not be supporting troops.

3. Your Hill evidence that SKFTA is k2 East Asian stability is from 07. Why haven't we seen collapse in Asia?

a few reasons

1. economy wasn't as terrible then (this was before the crash)

2. SK/NK relations were not as terrible, nor was the economy doing terribly enough to cause any concerns.

3. Other than NK, noone is really trying to start any kind of war or trouble really.

4. With recent incidents such as the persistent aggression by North Korea and China and Japan quartering over the Senkaku islands, why hasn't conflict escalated to nuclear?

Mostly the economy, everyone's economies, are still pretty weak, also, because of the situation in Japan, they (Japan) aren't really in the mood to start a fight, they want to get their own affairs in order first. Also, China really hasn't tried to start anything with any other Asian country for a while because they are fixing their own problems.

Afghanistan

1. Will the president have control over ALL foreign policy if we keep pmcs?

No, it just increases his influence

2. Your Lansford evidence says sole presidential power solves terrorism. If this is true, why is terrorism and violence increasing in Afghanistan in the squo?

because the earlier policies failed, also because of other actions that have happened in the middle east, you know- soldiers killing civilians, abuse, have allowed for terrorists to gain support and power in Afghanistan.

Econ

1. What is the alternative to growth? Do we just sit here and let the econ collapse?

the alt is that the economy collapses, then once everything slows down a bit, aka everyone calms down, then we rebuild from scratch. it's not like we aren't doing anything, we just don't do anything to directly spur any economic growth.

2. How are we supposed to fund programs to help biodiversity in a world without a successful economy?

BioDiversity is helped by reducing emissions, waste, and other biproducts from production, if left alone, aka less emissions or use of resources from production to spur a helpful economy, means that biodiversity recovers on its own.

3. Caldwell says the time is now - that's from 02. Why hasn't this happened?

a few things, one is of course, the economic declines, the economy isn't nearly as strong as it was at the time of the Caldwell evidence, next is that it just hasn't happened yet- this actually magnifies the impact because the longer it takes for the econ collapse, the worst off the effects will be

4. If the judge votes negative, will the U.S. give up searching for resources to help the economy?

not entirely, we'd keep/gather enough resources in order to feed/clothe/shelter/ect, the population, but other than for survival, we wouldn't search for resources until we started rebuilding the economy after the collapse happens.

Heg

1. What does the international system look like without the U.S. as a hegemon?

Multilateral cooperation, the US won't have as much power, but there will be better cooperation, power is spread out so that there is a more equal distribution between nations, NATO, EU, China may gain a bit, but the US will still be influential, just not to the point that will cause our impacts.

2. When do we claim to be imperialist? Or what's the link?

the largest link is your entire Heg advantage, but to be more specific- your Isenberg and Thayer cards, how you try and say that if the US military is strong means that all of these horrible things happen, means that your concept that the only way to stop horrific destruction is by increasing the US Military's power and strength, another example is your evidence about how PMC's supposedly abuse/attack civilians, as an example of how US power has been abused, and that even if you pull these PMC's out of Afghanistan, you justify abuses of some other group in another place in the world.

2AC will be up sometime tomorrow.

necessary characters.

OK just one more question on econ - even if the United States economy crashes and we have this shift, what's to stop other industrial nations like China and Russia from rebuilding the economies and destroying the environment?

OK just one more question on econ - even if the United States economy crashes and we have this shift, what's to stop other industrial nations like China and Russia from rebuilding the economies and destroying the environment?

Since every nation's economies for the most part are intralinked, the crash of the US economy would pretty much destroy/take the rest of the world's economy down with it.

eh, take your time- I've got a couple of questions though before I post the 2NC

-how do you meet either your or my interpretation for T

-what exactly is your C/I

-why is T not a voter

-how do we kill your ground if we don't get any DA's based on removing military troops?

-where in any of your link turns does it specifically mention PMC's anywhere

- on your UNiqueness evidence, what are the Dems rejecting, SKFTA or all of the FTA's passed at once?

eh, take your time- I've got a couple of questions though before I post the 2NC

-how do you meet either your or my interpretation for T

Your interpretation is saying that military presence is USfg soldiers. The first 4 cards, the Ausness 86 card, and the Deflem card are all evidence of why that is true. And Our CI on possession is saying that its still u.S. military presence if it's associated with the U.S., which PMCs are.

-what exactly is your C/I

Its is related to - so as long as our aff removes presence related to the USfg it is U.S. military presence

-why is T not a voter

The above standards - you overlimit the topic, you still have plenty of ground, and we're predictable.

-how do we kill your ground if we don't get any DA's based on removing military troops?

You do have DA ground - PMCs are the biggest form of any kind of military presence in Afghanistan, there's a lot of lit out there that says we need to be using them,

-where in any of your link turns does it specifically mention PMC's anywhere

"Human Rights First concluded that inadequate oversight of private contractors threatens to compromise U.S. national security"

"Sen. Carl Levin, a Michigan Democrat, chair of the Armed Services Committee, said the poor vetting of the 26,000 security contractors jeopardised the U.S. military effort in Afghanistan. "

"serious reevaluation of whether security should be outsourced in war zones"

just a few

- on your UNiqueness evidence, what are the Dems rejecting, SKFTA or all of the FTA's passed at once?

It says specifically in the first sentence, Dems are rejecting the FTA with South Korea.

hmm wonder what the block is going to look like.