Sign in to follow this  
LSDebater

K books

For the next few months, I was thinking about studying Ks before next years resolution. Unfortunately, I dont know much about Ks, so I wanted to know 10 or so good books on philosophy that I could buy and study to get a good grasp on Ks

For the next few months, I was thinking about studying Ks before next years resolution. Unfortunately, I dont know much about Ks, so I wanted to know 10 or so good books on philosophy that I could buy and study to get a good grasp on Ks

The Anti-Oedipus and A Thousand Plateaus, both by Gilles Deleuze and Felix Guattari are both good books to get into philosophy

The Anti-Oedipus and A Thousand Plateaus, both by Gilles Deleuze and Felix Guattari are both good books to get into philosophy

Well that's just mean.

WOah, slow down there everyone--

A cursory anthology is best, THEN read the list above that has Plato, Marx, Engels, and Nietzsche.

Try this one, it's designed as a broad introduction to most western philosophy:

http://www.amazon.com/Socrates-Sartre-Philosophic-Quest/dp/0553251619/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1300767664&sr=8-1

EDIT: This type of book (trust me, this one specifically) is better because it helps you contextualize philosophy and its progression through time and Philosophical eras.

First, every debater should read the foundational texts of Liberalism (Rousseau, Hobbes, Locke, Mills). It is the dominant world-view in American politics.

Then, If you have a good handle of philosophy and actually want to begin studying Kritiks you should read Kant, Marx, and Freud first.

WOah, slow down there everyone--

A cursory anthology is best, THEN read the list above that has Plato, Marx, Engels, and Nietzsche.

Try this one, it's designed as a broad introduction to most western philosophy:

http://www.amazon.com/Socrates-Sartre-Philosophic-Quest/dp/0553251619/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1300767664&sr=8-1

EDIT: This type of book (trust me, this one specifically) is better because it helps you contextualize philosophy and its progression through time and Philosophical eras.

this is probably true. I do however think that reading plato's allegory of the cave a few times and spending a few hours thinking about it will make understanding most K's exponentially easier.

of course there are also a lot of kritiks that come more from the comm studies tradition (i.e. language or discourse Ks) that don't require a philosophical background, just a couple readings of the doty evidence.

Ditto on the Plato and Engels and Marx, but I'd also add Kant, Machiavelli, Rousseau, Hobbes, Mills, Bentham, Smith, and Locke. Also, Aristotle's Politics.

Then again, those are just things you should read regardless =p