Sign in to follow this  
Chaos

Japan

This thread totally links to the sterile laboratory model of debate Mitchell criticizes, but what are the implications of the earthquake for the topic?

can this issue be turned into a CP or a Time frame CP like it could say the USFG should first help Japan recover from the 8.9 earthquake and stabilize it 5 nuclear reactors and when it done then (insert Plan here)

• Downvote 1

can this issue be turned into a CP or a Time frame CP like it could say the USFG should first help Japan recover from the 8.9 earthquake and stabilize it 5 nuclear reactors and when it done then (insert Plan here)

Yes, timeframe CPs are uber legit.

But unless the aff withdraws the exact military forces needed to stabilize those reactors, I don't see how this is competitive.

I'm thinking more of a perception of commitment. Probably supercharges the brink for a relations/alliance DA; essentially, that the US is perceived to be abandoning Japan through a withdrawal- makes our troop presence there the litmus test. And, I'd even venture far enough to say that post-disaster relief, more Japanese will recognize the importance of US troops or at least be indebted to them, alleviating tensions and relations.

Not too sure if this applies to Okinawa specifically though- I'd feel the evidence is out there.

• Downvote 1

I'm thinking more of a perception of commitment. Probably supercharges the brink for a relations/alliance DA; essentially, that the US is perceived to be abandoning Japan through a withdrawal- makes our troop presence there the litmus test. And, I'd even venture far enough to say that post-disaster relief, more Japanese will recognize the importance of US troops or at least be indebted to them, alleviating tensions and relations.

Not too sure if this applies to Okinawa specifically though- I'd feel the evidence is out there.

QFA

I remember seeing a Disaster Relief PIC floating on the wiki somewhere--I feel like this will be a much stronger argument in the coming weeks.

And yeah, Okinawa is really south of the epicenter. I haven't seen anything yet on how they've been affected by the quake/wave.

New aff: God is angry at the Japanese, abandoning our support for them is key to avoiding eternal damnation.

You know that the literature is out there, somewhere.

New aff: God is angry at the Japanese, abandoning our support for them is key to avoiding eternal damnation.

You know that the literature is out there, somewhere.

Robertson, '11

• Downvote 1

I run a Japan case, basically remove all mil presence from Japan. We're tossing it for an upcoming tournament though because of the quake. Good or bad idea?

I run a Japan case, basically remove all mil presence from Japan. We're tossing it for an upcoming tournament though because of the quake. Good or bad idea?

This may help:

Literally the only part of our military helping in relief is the part we leave—All military in Futenma that will help has already been moved and the earthquake happened hundreds of miles away from Okinawa which means we still get to weigh our public internal links

Marine Times 11 (“Marines assist after disaster strikes”; Japan Staff report; Posted : Sunday Mar 13, 2011 13:32:56 EDT http://www.marinecorpstimes.com/news/2011/03/marine-corps-assists-after-disaster-strikes-031311w/)AB

Marine forces in Japan are delivering food, water and other supplies to assist in disaster-relief efforts following the massive earthquake and tsunami that devastated the region Friday. The first personnel and equipment to arrive include command-and-control and logistics assets, plus CH-46E transport helicopters and KC-130J cargo aircraft, officials said in a news release. Those assets have moved from Marine facilities in Okinawa and are now operating out of mainland Japan. They will be joined shortly by elements of the Japan-based 31st Marine Expeditionary Unit, who are returning from exercises in Cambodia. Aviation assets from Marine Corps Air Station Futenma were quickly dispatched to areas on the mainland where the need was greatest, Lt. Col. Karl C. Rohr, a spokesman for III Marine Expeditionary Force, said in a news release.“ In a matter of hours,” Rohr said, “supplies, gear and manpower began flowing into mainland Japan with more to follow. CH-46 Sea Knights from Marine Medium Helicopter Squadron 265 were among the first assets to leave Futenma. They’re now operating out of Naval Air Facility Atsugi, according to the news release. The helicopters “provide commanders with the greatest flexibility of options,” said Lt. Col. Damien M. Marsh, HMM-265’s commander. They can handle the “full spectrum of rescue operations,” including rescue ashore, casualty transfer, and troop and cargo transport, he said, calling the 46s “extremely maneuverable, versatile and environmentally friendly in urban areas.” The KC-130J Super Hercules are assigned to Marine Aerial Refueler Transport Squadron 152. Additional aircraft and supplies will continue to be moved during the next several days, officials said. Elements of the 31st MEU, embarked aboard the amphibious ships Essex, Harpers Ferry and Germantown, are currently transiting toward Japan, according to the unit’s Facebook page. The MEU includes Battalion Landing Team 2nd Battalion, 5th Marines, out of Camp Pendleton, Calif.; HMM-262, another CH-46 squadron based at Futenma; Marine Attack Squadron 211, an AV-8B Harrier squadron out of Marine Corps Air Station Yuma, Ariz.; and Combat Logistics Battalion 31. Based at Yokota Air Base, Japan, U.S. Forces Japan is the lead military command for coordinating all humanitarian-assistance and disaster-relief efforts on the mainland. It’s been dubbed Operation Tomodachi, which means “friendship” in Japanese, officials said. What is being called Japan’s largest earthquake in 100 years struck the country’s main island Friday afternoon, but the effect on Marine installations was minimal, with no reports of any Marine casualties, officials at the Pentagon told Marine Corps Times. All major Marine installations are located on the southern island of Okinawa, hundreds of miles away from the epicenter of the 8.9 magnitude quake that originated off the coast of northern Japan. Base residents were evacuated from low-lying areas at Camp Foster, Camp Lester and Camp Kinser as a precautionary measure.

which units do you leave? because it seems to me that card says everyone in japan is doing or is about to be doing disaster relief.

We leave the 31st MEU and all of the naval/air installations. The card says that any resources that are being used to help in the relief efforts that used to be based in Futenma are now in other bases. The card also says that the 31st MEU is heading the relief campaign.

We leave the 31st MEU and all of the naval/air installations. The card says that any resources that are being used to help in the relief efforts that used to be based in Futenma are now in other bases. The card also says that the 31st MEU is heading the relief campaign.

leaving the 31st MEU is a good idea right now, but i don't think the card indicates that units have been rebased. it says they're operating relief efforts from the mainland, but they are almost certainly still technically stationed at futenma (and i'm assuming the aff applies to troops stationed there, not just troops that happen to be in the base at the moment).

Apparently theres an article somewhere that says the Japanese still hate our soldiers despite them providing aid.

If anyone needs a new affirmative for the end of year tournaments, this is what they should read: Plan - USFG should end all disaster relief efforts in Japan.

Advantages are Japan US relations bad, Japanese overpopulation, and nuclear backlash with a casualties based link argument.

Apparently theres an article somewhere that says the Japanese still hate our soldiers despite them providing aid.

http://edition.cnn.com/2011/WORLD/asiapcf/03/12/japan.us.okinawa/?hpt=T2

--

Also...

Rogin, staff writer for Foreign Policy, 3/14/11 [Josh, "Embattled State Department Japan Hand Key Part of Earthquake Response", Foreign Policy, http://thecable.foreignpolicy.com/posts/2011/03/14/embattled_state_department_japan_hand_key_part_of_earthquake_response]

Ironically, Maher's experience as consul in Okinawa from 2006 to 2009 might also come in handy. Maher's alleged remarks to the AU students spoke to the frustration of both U.S. and Japanese officials about the plan to relocate the Marine Corps air base in Futenma to a different part of Okinawa's main island. Many Okinawans oppose having a base on the island at all.

But as it turns out, the Futenma air base has been active in supporting the earthquake relief response, including deploying helicopters to aid in search and recovery of victims of the devastating tsunami.

This thread totally links to the sterile laboratory model of debate Mitchell criticizes

Also...this

Perm.

Sign in to follow this