LSDebater

paper vs laptop flowing

I love the flowing template in Synergy, the send to speech function the numbering macro are both must have functions I wish I had my whole debate career. That being said I also flowed on paper during most negative rounds, and think on the whole it can be easier in some ways with paperless debate if you aren't integrating your flow into your speech document.

Paper flowing isn't really my favorite between the two.

I like being able to type a lot for my rebuttals, so there being pretty much infinite space to type on a computer is good. And I like being able to save my flows so I can review them and reference them to incorporate certain arguments into blocks. I've tried filing paper flows, but it just doesn't work for me.

I mean, I can see the advantages to paper, since it would be faster to write with a specific shorthand, but I find it easier to just flow on my laptop.

It all really comes down to what you're comfortable with and what you feel like is good for you and how you like to do things.

I used to flow on paper, when I debated that is but I decided to start using my laptop. It is so much more convenient because the flow becomes so much more clear because the computer allows near perfect lining up of arguments when compared to paper flowing. Not only that, if you screw up spacing on a laptop, you can fix it, on paper, you're screwed.

Also, my handwriting absolutely sucks so I switched so my partner could actually read my flows in round.

Flow on paper.

The thing is, if anything happens like your computer crashes in round etc. you will ALWAYS have your paper flow. Judges will let you take prep to reconstruct your speech document, but probably not to reflow the 2AC.

Also, flowing on paper makes you think about arguments much more conceptually, improving arg interaction and stuff like that.

Flow on paper.

The thing is, if anything happens like your computer crashes in round etc. you will ALWAYS have your paper flow. Judges will let you take prep to reconstruct your speech document, but probably not to reflow the 2AC.

Also, flowing on paper makes you think about arguments much more conceptually, improving arg interaction and stuff like that.

The notion that flowing on paper makes you "think more conceptually" is non-falsifiable. And this is just stupid, all good debaters learn to think about debate through the lens of argument interaction. I would like to know what about physical paper you think improves that portion of a debater.

And for the backup issues, you can save your flows to a jump a drive, or you can use dropbox. Additionally all the people who worry about their computer suddenly crashing must not take good care of their computer for debating. Keep crap off your computer, run virus protection, keep the computer updated, you won't have problems.

I prefer to flow on paper, partially because the law of the land here requires it. However, when I'm at camp, I still choose to flow on paper, not just because that's what I'm used to, but because it works better for me. I'm able to visualise the round better and see where the main focus areas are. Of course, I'm sure this can be done just as well on a laptop with a skilled user.

Also, at the end of the season, you can't light your case flows on fire unless they're on paper. (Kidding. Kinda.)

• Upvote 1

The notion that flowing on paper makes you "think more conceptually" is non-falsifiable. And this is just stupid, all good debaters learn to think about debate through the lens of argument interaction. I would like to know what about physical paper you think improves that portion of a debater..

Maybe it's just me, but I actually do feel more involved in the round when I'm flowing on paper. I think it has to do with how I personally handle memory (writing something does help me), but I doubt this is true of everyone.

Even so, as a judge, I typically flow on a laptop, though I couldn't when I debated.

I was thinking of switching to paper flowing, just wanted to hear peoples' opinions on both.

hey bro flowing on CPU aint so great when u r speeding and hit your face on the screen...

flow on paper bro..............

3min T 5 min Inherency

• Downvote 1

Flowing on paper helps you conceptualize the debate as a whole an see things you can drop that would be beneficial to you. When you're flowing on a laptop you can't spread out the flows on the table and see how each argument interacts with each other. Too many times have I flowed on a laptop and then later when I printed out my flows to do redos realized the flows interacted where it would have been beneficial to kick an advantage, etc.

Also I think it screws you up really bad trying to flow and construct a speech off your laptop, just too many things on the laptop. Also you can use shorthand on your paper but on the laptop even with synergy you're pretty limited on shorthand.

Excel isn't meant for flowing, until there is a program that is way better for flowing, or meant for flowing, go with paper, you'll be able to make more strategic actions in round.

• Upvote 1

It is so much more convenient because the flow becomes so much more clear because the computer allows near perfect lining up of arguments when compared to paper flowing. Not only that, if you screw up spacing on a laptop, you can fix it, on paper, you're screwed.

Also, my handwriting absolutely sucks so I switched so my partner could actually read my flows in round.

QFA. Plus, I type way faster than I write.

I was a hard sell, but I definitely prefer laptop flowing now. Changes to the flow are easier, lining up arguments, seeing the round, sharing the flow (later with teams, or with a partner for example) there are a lot of advantages. The only disadvantage is the risk of computer failure, so make sure you have a reliable computer, plugged in and/or with battery backup.

I use excel with a template (there are a few really good ones available, or you can make your own pretty easily.) I also use the Debate Countdown timer (I think it's Synergy's, but I can find it if you want.) Both together are amazing. Much easier.

When I was debating I preferred flowing on paper, if only because, when I was in high school, laptops weren't allowed period (except in champs division, but only because nobody gives a shit what happens there...). This carried over to when I debated in college. We only really used 3 expandos on a regular basis, so we didn't need to go paperless. I still prefer it while having practice debates with my debaters (read: minions).

That said, when I judge rounds I prefer to flow on my laptop. It's easier and more convenient for me instead of carrying around a bunch of paper. Besides, if it's one of those rounds that's so bad I can decide after the 2NC (which, in our district, happens more than I would care to admit...) I can find ways to keep myself from killing one of the debaters. Or I can cut answers to arguments being read in the debate during prep time...

I don't have my own laptop so I don't have the option, but I would definitely pick computer flowing for pretty much the same reasons as everyone else cited. It's easier to save flows, I type way faster than I write, it's probably just more convenient if you're doing paperless for everything else, and it's much cleaner and more legible.

Maybe it's just me, but I actually do feel more involved in the round when I'm flowing on paper. I think it has to do with how I personally handle memory (writing something does help me), but I doubt this is true of everyone.

Even so, as a judge, I typically flow on a laptop, though I couldn't when I debated.

but chu aint never judge me on paper??? does this mean you don't care in being involved? - jk