Sign in to follow this  
joehamaker

[DEAD] [M] Round 354: [MILITARY] gcoope(blazin') (aff) vs. joehamaker (neg)

Can I judge, pleaz?

Overview: I think clash is key to any debate. Putting specific warrant and author indicts the line-by-line make for an excellent debate.

K’s: I always prefer a K debate. I read extensive lit (Foucault, Baudrillard, Zizek, Lacan, Marx, Nietzsche, and beyond) but you will almost always need to explain it to me anyways. I think too often the link part of a kritik needs more analysis. If the neg fails to go for that link analysis, then I’m almost 95% guaranteed to vote on the perm. “Do you try to make the world a better place?” is a boring way to get your Nietzsche links and I probably won’t want to vote on the K if I don’t have to if you run a K in that manner. Another problem with K’s is that a lot of time, there’s an argument to make with a warrant indict that for some reason is never caught. I’m totally cool with a 1-off kritik, just make it interesting.

D/A’s: I’ll give you a nickel if you can avoid a nuke war impact and go for biowar or something.

CP’s: CP’s are fine to run. I love hearing word picks and I also love creative perms.

Performance/Kritikal Teams: I don’t believe debate can be defined or shaped by any normative standards, so you’re good to run whatever you want. Performance aff’s are always interesting. I’ve run irony a couple times myself.

Framework: I like more evidence-based framework. I’m willing to vote for anything with the proper framework.

Theory: Theory dumps are boring. If you can avoid them, please do so. If the other team really is being abusive, then I’m totally cool with theory. Just don’t run your condo bad block because you don’t have anything else to read.

T & Procedurals: Contrary to theory, ironically, I love T & Procedurals. I’m even willing to vote on an RVI.

Impact calc: Weigh Timeframe vs. Magnetude, please.

Edited by Nokumura

This looks like an interesting round, so I'll judge. Im tabs, though I prefer straight up debate and good theory debate. If you have any questions, just ask away.

Here are some thoughts:

1. An argument is something that has a claim that I understand, an extended warrant and an impact. Anything that does not meet this threshold will be entirely disregarded, even if conceded.

2. It's hard to convince me that Affirmative's shouldn't be topical

3. I'll vote on theory, but I'm willing to do work for the other team with both cross-applications and disregarding a theory shell due to a missing internal link

4. There can be a zero-risk of something unless there is an argument for offense-defense. That being said, it is hard for me to give a sensical argument (see above for my definition of an argument) a zero-risk unless completely droppped

5. I go for ptx and case almost every round on the neg

6. I'm a lot more willing to see something as abusive than other judges.

1. Post-plan, is there a war in the Korean peninsula?

2. Why hasn't NK used its bioweapons/nukes yet?

3. What specifically is occurring in the Korean Peninsula that is emboldening the North?

4. How many/what kind of bioweapons does the NK have?

5. Why would the US strike NK with nukes?

6. How is regionalism in Asia in the squo?

7. Why doesn't SK want to participate in East-Asian multilateral institutions?

more later, probably

Grayson, post the full text you bastard

Cross-x

No. Withdrawal solves escalation of war and regionalism

Only in case of conflict escalation/big war would they use them.

3. What specifically is occurring in the Korean Peninsula that is emboldening the North?

They are becoming more aggressive I hope that is what you are going for. This is because the tension in the region with the United States presence there.

4. How many/what kind of bioweapons does the NK have?

"that North Korea has developed anthrax, plague, and botulism toxin and conducted extensive research on smallpox, typhoid and cholera. "

"Unclassified estimates of the chemical weapons (CW) arsenal are imprecise, but the consensus is that the Korean People’s Army (KPA) possesses 2,500-5,000 tons, including mustard, phosgene, blood agents, sarin, tabun and V-agents (persistent nerve agents). " those are lines from Levy 7 and ICG 9

treaty with south korea and they have to maintain a credible deterrent force if North Korean used Nuke or cbw. They'd be forced to by the role of the deterrence. To uphold the commitment President will have to retaliate.

US bilateral alliances.

SK obstructionism is occurring in the squo. w/d forces them to cooperate with others in the region and make a multilateral institution.

Cross-x

Ok, the conflicts wouldn't escalate, but would there be conflict?

Why hasn't conflict escalated?

They are becoming more aggressive I hope that is what you are going for. This is because the tension in the region with the United States presence there.

So the US and SK are becoming more aggressive? How?

treaty with south korea and they have to maintain a credible deterrent force if North Korean used Nuke or cbw. They'd be forced to by the role of the deterrence. To uphold the commitment President will have to retaliate.

If Korea used CBWs, why would that prompt nuclear retaliation, as opposed to a traditional war-fighting force?

US bilateral alliances.

Who does the US have bilateral alliances with and why do they prevent overall regional cooperation?

SK obstructionism is occurring in the squo. w/d forces them to cooperate with others in the region and make a multilateral institution.

Ok, but WHY isn't SK being obstructionist? Also, how does this completely undermine regionalism?

1NC will be up tomorrow-ish

1NC will be up tomorrow-ish

Bump. What's the status on the 1NC?

Cross-x

Ok, the conflicts wouldn't escalate, but would there be conflict?

No. if any it'd be contained though.

Why hasn't conflict escalated?

Small indicators right now.

So the US and SK are becoming more aggressive? How?

Like taking larger measures to try to put rigors on the north. also the north is pretty pissy

If Korea used CBWs, why would that prompt nuclear retaliation, as opposed to a traditional war-fighting force?

The card is actually pretty sweet on that. The mpx of cbw is comparable to that of a nuclear attack so it's like an eye for an eye in some ways. but also obama would be forced to.

US bilateral alliances.

Who does the US have bilateral alliances with and why do they prevent overall regional cooperation?

We are talking about SK-US alliance. Because it encourages sk to just trade with us and that causes lots of pissed off people in the region. it also makes US be a player in that region and that looks like we are just a foreign occupier.

Ok, but WHY isn't SK being obstructionist? Also, how does this completely undermine regionalism?

because they have US at there backs. they don't need to work within the region That's a pretty direct response.