Screech

I stand with Planned Parenthood

House Republicans have voted to ban Federal funding for abortions. Not only does this destroy the fragile consensus we've reached around abortion in Roe and the Helms-Biden amendment over the last 30 years, it prevents many (especially the poor) from accessing other essential health services, like mammograms and contraception. It is reckless and cruel and should be opposed with all our might.

Sign the petition here.

https://secure.ppaction.org/site/SPageServer?pagename=pp_ppol_ws_I_Stand_with_PP&s_src=standwithppfeb2011_taf

EDIT: I re-read this post today and it's wrong; federal funding for abortions is already banned. I meant "federal funding for Planned Parenthood."

Edited by Screech
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

House Republicans have voted to ban Federal funding for abortions. Not only does this destroy the fragile consensus we've reached around abortion in Roe and the Helms-Biden amendment over the last 30 years, it prevents many (especially the poor) from accessing other essential health services, like mammograms and contraception. It is reckless and cruel and should be opposed with all our might.

Sign the petition here.

https://secure.ppaction.org/site/SPageServer?pagename=pp_ppol_ws_I_Stand_with_PP&s_src=standwithppfeb2011_taf

What portion of that legislation defunds mammograms and contraception access?

Sign the petition here.

Oh! A petition, wonderful, this is exactly what we need to show congress how serious we are. It's totally going to work, I can feel it.

• Downvote 2

Here is the Pence Amendment to H.R. 1 with his remarks from the Congressional Record.

AMENDMENT NO. 11 OFFERED BY MR. PENCE

Mr. PENCE. Mr. Chairman, I have an amendment at the desk.

The Acting CHAIR. The Clerk will designate the amendment.

The text of the amendment is as follows:

At the end of the bill (before the short title), insert the following:

Sec. __. None of the funds made available by this Act may be made available for any purpose to Planned Parenthood Federation of America, Inc. or any of the following affiliates of Planned Parenthood Federation of America, Inc.:

(1) Planned Parenthood Southeast in Atlanta, Georgia.

(2) Planned Parenthood of the Great Northwest in Seattle, Washington.

(3) Planned Parenthood Arizona in Phoenix, Arizona.

(4) Planned Parenthood of Arkansas and Eastern Oklahoma in Tulsa, Oklahoma.

(5) Planned Parenthood of Greater Memphis Region in Memphis, Tennessee.

(6) Planned Parenthood Affiliates of California in Sacramento, California.

(7) Planned Parenthood Los Angeles in Los Angeles, California.

(8) Planned Parenthood Mar Monte in San Jose, California.

(9) Planned Parenthood of Orange & San Bernardino Counties, Inc. in Orange, California.

(10) Planned Parenthood Pasadena and San Gabriel Valley, Inc. in Pasadena, California.

(11) Planned Parenthood of the Pacific Southwest in San Diego, California.

(12) Planned Parenthood of Santa Barbara, Ventura & San Luis Obispo Counties in Santa Barbara, California.

(13) Planned Parenthood: Shasta-Diablo in Concord, California.

(14) Six Rivers Planned Parenthood in Eureka, California.

(15) Planned Parenthood of the Rocky Mountains in Denver, Colorado.

(16) Planned Parenthood of Southern New England, Inc. in New Haven, Connecticut.

(17) Planned Parenthood of Delaware in Wilmington, Delaware.

(18) Planned Parenthood of Metropolitan Washington, D.C., Inc. in Washington, District of Columbia.

(19) Florida Association of Planned Parenthood Affiliates in Sarasota, Florida.

(20) Planned Parenthood of Collier County in Naples, Florida.

(21) Planned Parenthood of Greater Orlando, Inc. in Orlando, Florida.

(22) Planned Parenthood of North Florida in Jacksonville, Florida.

(23) Planned Parenthood of South Florida and the Treasure Coast, Inc. in West Palm Beach, Florida.

(24) Planned Parenthood of Southwest and Central Florida, Inc. in Sarasota, Florida.

(25) Planned Parenthood of Hawaii in Honolulu, Hawaii.

(26) Planned Parenthood of Greater Washington and North Idaho in Yakima, Washington.

(27) Planned Parenthood of Illinois in Chicago, Illinois.

(28) Planned Parenthood of the St. Louis Region in St. Louis, Missouri.

(29) Planned Parenthood of Indiana, Inc. in Indianapolis, Indiana.

(30) Iowa Planned Parenthood Affiliate League in Des Moines, Iowa.

(31) Planned Parenthood of East Central Iowa in Cedar Rapids, Iowa.

(32) Planned Parenthood of the Heartland in Des Moines, Iowa.

(33) Planned Parenthood of Southeast Iowa in Burlington, Iowa.

(34) Planned Parenthood of Kansas and Mid-Missouri in Overland Park, Kansas.

(35) Planned Parenthood of Kentucky, Inc. in Louisville, Kentucky.

(36) Planned Parenthood Southwest Ohio Region in Cincinnati, Ohio.

(37) Planned Parenthood Gulf Coast, Inc. in Houston, Texas.

(38) Planned Parenthood of Northern New England in Williston, Vermont.

(39) Planned Parenthood of Maryland, Inc. in Baltimore, Maryland.

(40) Planned Parenthood League of Massachusetts in Boston, Massachusetts.

(41) Planned Parenthood Affiliates of Michigan in Lansing, Michigan.

(42) Planned Parenthood of West and Northern Michigan in Grand Rapids, Michigan.

(43) Planned Parenthood Mid and South Michigan in Ann Arbor, Michigan.

(44) Planned Parenthood of South Central Michigan in Kalamazoo, Michigan.

(45) Planned Parenthood of Minnesota, North Dakota, South Dakota in St. Paul, Minnesota.

(46) Planned Parenthood of Southwest Missouri in St. Louis, Missouri.

(47) Tri-Rivers Planned Parenthood in Rolla, Missouri.

(48) Planned Parenthood of Montana, Inc. in Billings, Montana.

(49) Planned Parenthood of the Heartland in Omaha, Nebraska.

(50) Planned Parenthood Affiliates of New Jersey in Trenton, New Jersey.

[Page: H1156] GPO's PDF

(51) Planned Parenthood Association of the Mercer Area in Trenton, New Jersey.

(52) Planned Parenthood of Central New Jersey in Shrewsbury, New Jersey.

(53) Planned Parenthood of Greater Northern New Jersey, Inc. in Morristown, New Jersey.

(54) Planned Parenthood of Metropolitan New Jersey in Newark, New Jersey.

(55) Planned Parenthood of Southern New Jersey in Camden, New Jersey.

(56) Planned Parenthood of New Mexico, Inc. in Albuquerque, New Mexico.

(57) Family Planning Advocates of New York State in Albany, New York.

(58) Planned Parenthood Hudson Peconic, Inc. in Hawthorne, New York.

(59) Planned Parenthood Mohawk Hudson in Utica, New York.

(60) Planned Parenthood of Mid-Hudson Valley, Inc. in Poughkeepsie, New York.

(61) Planned Parenthood of Nassau County, Inc. in Hempstead, New York.

(62) Planned Parenthood of New York City, Inc. in New York, New York.

(63) Planned Parenthood of the North Country New York, Inc. in Watertown, New York.

(64) Planned Parenthood of South Central New York, Inc. in Oneonta, New York.

(65) Planned Parenthood of the Rochester/Syracuse Region in Rochester, New York.

(66) Planned Parenthood of the Southern Finger Lakes in Ithaca, New York.

(67) Planned Parenthood of Western New York, Inc. in Buffalo, New York.

(68) Upper Hudson Planned Parenthood, Inc. in Albany, New York.

(69) Planned Parenthood Health Systems, Inc. in Raleigh, North Carolina.

(70) Planned Parenthood of Central North Carolina in Chapel Hill, North Carolina.

(71) Planned Parenthood Affiliates of Ohio in Columbus, Ohio.

(72) Planned Parenthood of Central Ohio, Inc. in Columbus, Ohio.

(73) Planned Parenthood of Northeast Ohio in Akron, Ohio.

(74) Planned Parenthood of Northwest Ohio in Toledo, Ohio.

(75) Planned Parenthood of Southeast Ohio in Athens, Ohio.

(76) Planned Parenthood of Central Oklahoma, Inc. in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma.

(77) Planned Parenthood Advocates of Oregon in Eugene, Oregon.

(78) Planned Parenthood of Southwestern Oregon in Eugene, Oregon.

(79) Planned Parenthood Columbia Willamette in Portland, Oregon.

(80) Planned Parenthood Pennsylvania Advocates in Harrisburg, Pennsylvania.

(81) Planned Parenthood Association of Bucks County in Warminster, Pennsylvania.

(82) Planned Parenthood of Central Pennsylvania, Inc. in York, Pennsylvania.

(83) Planned Parenthood of Northeast and Mid-Penn in Trexlertown, Pennsylvania.

(84) Planned Parenthood of Western Pennsylvania in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.

(85) Planned Parenthood Southeastern Pennsylvania in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.

(86) Planned Parenthood of Middle and East Tennessee, Inc. in Nashville, Tennessee.

(87) Texas Association of Planned Parenthood Affiliates in Austin, Texas.

(88) Planned Parenthood Association of Cameron & Willacy Counties, Inc. in Brownsville, Texas.

(89) Planned Parenthood Association of Hidalgo County, Inc. in McAllen, Texas.

(90) Planned Parenthood Association of Lubbock, Inc. in Lubbock, Texas.

(91) Planned Parenthood of Central Texas, Inc. in Waco, Texas.

(92) Planned Parenthood of North Texas, Inc. in Dallas, Texas.

(93) Planned Parenthood of the Texas Capital Region in Austin, Texas.

(94) Planned Parenthood of West Texas, Inc. in Odessa, Texas.

(95) Planned Parenthood Trust of San Antonio and South Central Texas in San Antonio, Texas.

(96) Planned Parenthood Association of Utah in Salt Lake City, Utah.

(97) Planned Parenthood Advocates of Virginia in Charlottesville, Virginia.

(98) Planned Parenthood of Southeastern Virginia, Inc. in Hampton, Virginia.

(99) Virginia League for Planned Parenthood in Richmond, Virginia.

(100) Planned Parenthood Public Policy Network of Washington in Seattle, Washington.

(101) Mt. Baker Planned Parenthood in Bellingham, Washington.

(102) Planned Parenthood of Wisconsin, Inc. in Milwaukee, Wisconsin.

The Acting CHAIR. The gentleman from Indiana is recognized for 5 minutes.

(Mr. PENCE asked and was given permission to revise and extend his remarks.)

Mr. PENCE. Mr. Chairman, I believe that ending an innocent human life is morally wrong. But I rise tonight because I also believe it's morally wrong to take the taxpayer dollars of millions of pro-life Americans and use it to fund organizations that provide and promote abortion--like Planned Parenthood of America. The American people deserve to know that Planned Parenthood is not only the largest abortion provider in America, Planned Parenthood is also the largest recipient of taxpayer funding under title X.

According to their latest annual report, Planned Parenthood received more than $363 million in taxpayer money while boasting of having performed an unprecedented 324,008 abortions during the same period.

The amendment that I bring to the floor tonight would deny any and all funding to Planned Parenthood Federation of America and its affiliates for the rest of the fiscal year. But let me be clear. This amendment would not cut funding for health services. It would simply block those funds already in the bill from subsidizing America's largest abortion provider.

Now I am aware that title X family planning funds are eliminated in this bill. But eliminating title X funding has never been my goal. I support the important work of title X clinics across the country. The reality is that Planned Parenthood receives hundreds of millions of taxpayer dollars from Federal funding sources other than title X, and our effort tonight is specifically to focus on denying any and all Federal funding to the largest abortion provider in America.

The reasons for doing so are many. The case for defunding Planned Parenthood has made headlines for years. In 2002, Planned Parenthood was found civilly liable in Arizona for failure to report statutory rape. Since that time, Planned Parenthood affiliates have been found violating reporting laws in Indiana and California, and found to have violated statutory reporting laws in places like Ohio. Recently in California, Washington, New Jersey and New York, Planned Parenthood clinics have been accused of fraudulent accounting over billing practices. And, of course, last week as the Nation watched in horror, new undercover videos were released that showed Planned Parenthood employees in multiple States apparently willing to aid human sex traffickers by coaching them on how to falsify documents to secure secret abortions for underage prostitutes. As the father of two teenage daughters, there are not words strong enough to portray my contempt for this pattern of fraud and abuse against young women by Planned Parenthood, and that's what brings us here today.

Now I know that some consider this amendment to be something of a war on Planned Parenthood. But this is not about Planned Parenthood's right to be in the abortion business. Sadly, abortion on demand is legal in America. This is about who pays for it. Nobody is saying that Planned Parenthood can't be the leading advocate of abortion on demand in America, but why do I have to pay for it? Nobody is saying that Planned Parenthood can't continue to be the largest abortion provider in America. But why do tens of millions of pro-life American taxpayers have to pay for it?

[Time: 21:00]

Let me be clear as I come to the floor.

I long for the day that Roe v. Wade is sent to the ash heap of history, when we move past the broken hearts and the broken lives of the past 38 years. But as this debate rages on, I call on my colleagues in both parties:

Let's at least respect what has been the historic and overwhelming consensus of the American people: that we ought not use their taxpayer dollars to provide or promote abortion at home and abroad. Let's end taxpayer support for abortion providers, specifically Planned Parenthood, once and for all.

I urge my colleagues to take a stand for taxpayers and to take a stand for life, to take a stand against a pattern of corruption, and to take a stand for young women in crisis pregnancies, who deserve access to unbiased and compassionate health care services.

Let's end the taxpayer support of Planned Parenthood. The Pence amendment's purpose is to do simply that and, in so doing, to stand with the American people, to stand with the American taxpayer, and to stand without apology for the sanctity of human life.

I yield back the balance of my time.

The Amendment takes away federal funding in H.R. 1 that would otherwise have gone to Planned Parenthood clinics, so to the extent those clinics provide mammograms and other services, they are de-funded. But saying that the amendment "prevents many (especially the poor) from accessing other essential health services, like mammograms and contraception" is simply hyperbole.

The Amendment takes away federal funding in H.R. 1 that would otherwise have gone to Planned Parenthood clinics, so to the extent those clinics provide mammograms and other services, they are de-funded. But saying that the amendment "prevents many (especially the poor) from accessing other essential health services, like mammograms and contraception" is simply hyperbole.

Thank you. Much appreciated.

• Downvote 1

In the status quo, many people living in poverty have access to essential health services exclusively, or almost exclusively through Planned Parenthood clinics. The amendment removes federal funding from Planned Parenthood. Federal funding is 1/3 of Planned Parenthood's budget. Less money means fewer services. So the amendment results in less Planned Parenthood, and thus the essential services they provide.

I'm sorry, what about "prevents many (especially the poor) from accessing other essential health services, like mammograms and contraception" was hyperbolic? It's not like I said LOLDEATHPANELZLUL.

EDIT:

Oh! A petition, wonderful, this is exactly what we need to show congress how serious we are. It's totally going to work, I can feel it.

Defense.

Edited by Screech

By law, federal funds haven’t paid for abortions since the 1970s, so the House hasn’t voted to cut abortion funding. They’re cutting funding for the entire Title X program — funding for contraception, cancer screening, STI tests, sex education, mammograms, HIV testing and diagnosis, and pregnancy screening and counseling

• Upvote 1

yeah man. everything is meaningless and all forms of resistance fail and are stupid. lets go do drugs and play halo. thats not at all how we got here.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

yeah, that would probably be my response, too, were I stupid enough to think a petition would do anything.

Okay, one, an ad hominem isn't even defense. Two, I'm not saying you should JUST sign a petition. The petition is step one. Of ten.

If you really want an action item list, I'd say

1. Vote

2. Volunteer (for PP, for a pro-choice political candidate, or for whatever else)

3. Hand out flyers

4. Attend a rally or a march

5. Write/phone/call/e-mail your political representative

6. Write a letter to the editor of your local newspaper/newsrag/corporate shill paper/alternative zine

7. Make a donation to a political lobbying group whose ideals you can support.

8. Talk to friends and family

9. Put a sign up on your lawn

10. Run for office yourself

11. Stage a protest yourself

12. Found a political party

13. Pull pranks on elected officials and the media

14. Write for your local newspaper/newsrag/alternative zine or Indymedia

15. Have a reasonable political discussion with someone whose views you respectfully disagree with

16. Stand up to someone who's a mendacious liar

17. Publish (or self-publish) a book on your politics

18. Start a blog (they're free!)

19. Stick up for victims of oppression in everyday life

20. Submit Freedom of Information Act requests

21. Start a campaign or a secondary boycott of businesses supporting politicians you disagree with

22. Two words: Graffiti campaign.

23. Engage in civil disobedience

24. Create a work of propaganda

25. Start a revolution.

Edited by Screech
  • Upvote 1

Okay, one, an ad hominem isn't even defense. Two, I'm not saying you should JUST sign a petition. The petition is step one. Of ten.

If you really want an action item list, I'd say

1. Vote

2. Volunteer (for PP, for a pro-choice political candidate, or for whatever else)

3. Hand out flyers

4. Attend a rally or a march

5. Write/phone/call/e-mail your political representative

6. Write a letter to the editor of your local newspaper/newsrag/corporate shill paper/alternative zine

7. Make a donation to a political lobbying group whose ideals you can support.

8. Talk to friends and family

9. Put a sign up on your lawn

10. Run for office yourself

11. Stage a protest yourself

12. Found a political party

13. Pull pranks on elected officials and the media

14. Write for your local newspaper/newsrag/alternative zine or Indymedia

15. Have a reasonable political discussion with someone whose views you respectfully disagree with

16. Stand up to someone who's a mendacious liar

17. Publish (or self-publish) a book on your politics

18. Start a blog (they're free!)

19. Stick up for victims of oppression in everyday life

20. Submit Freedom of Information Act requests

21. Start a campaign or a secondary boycott of businesses supporting politicians you disagree with

22. Two words: Graffiti campaign.

23. Engage in civil disobedience

24. Create a work of propaganda

25. Start a revolution.

You must be a commie or something, acting like you have a voice, jeez, get with the picture man.

In the status quo, many people living in poverty have access to essential health services exclusively, or almost exclusively through Planned Parenthood clinics.
Cite?

The amendment removes federal funding from Planned Parenthood. Federal funding is 1/3 of Planned Parenthood's budget. Less money means fewer services. So the amendment results in less Planned Parenthood, and thus the essential services they provide.
Actions have consequences. Rep. Pence argued that his amendment was appropriate given that Planned Parenthood has been caught lawbreaking multiple times. I don't think most people would approve of their tax dollars going to companies that break the law. If the organization is so dependent on federal funding that it can't operate its essential services without it, then shouldn't we be blaming the people who run Planned Parenthood for jeopardizing their key funding source?

Cite?

(1) Planned Parenthood Southeast in Atlanta, Georgia.

(2) Planned Parenthood of the Great Northwest in Seattle, Washington.

(3) Planned Parenthood Arizona in Phoenix, Arizona.

(4) Planned Parenthood of Arkansas and Eastern Oklahoma in Tulsa, Oklahoma.

(5) Planned Parenthood of Greater Memphis Region in Memphis, Tennessee.

(6) Planned Parenthood Affiliates of California in Sacramento, California.

(7) Planned Parenthood Los Angeles in Los Angeles, California.

(8) Planned Parenthood Mar Monte in San Jose, California.

(9) Planned Parenthood of Orange & San Bernardino Counties, Inc. in Orange, California.

(10) Planned Parenthood Pasadena and San Gabriel Valley, Inc. in Pasadena, California.

(11) Planned Parenthood of the Pacific Southwest in San Diego, California.

(12) Planned Parenthood of Santa Barbara, Ventura & San Luis Obispo Counties in Santa Barbara, California.

(13) Planned Parenthood: Shasta-Diablo in Concord, California.

(14) Six Rivers Planned Parenthood in Eureka, California.

(15) Planned Parenthood of the Rocky Mountains in Denver, Colorado.

(16) Planned Parenthood of Southern New England, Inc. in New Haven, Connecticut.

(17) Planned Parenthood of Delaware in Wilmington, Delaware.

(18) Planned Parenthood of Metropolitan Washington, D.C., Inc. in Washington, District of Columbia.

(19) Florida Association of Planned Parenthood Affiliates in Sarasota, Florida.

(20) Planned Parenthood of Collier County in Naples, Florida.

(21) Planned Parenthood of Greater Orlando, Inc. in Orlando, Florida.

(22) Planned Parenthood of North Florida in Jacksonville, Florida.

(23) Planned Parenthood of South Florida and the Treasure Coast, Inc. in West Palm Beach, Florida.

(24) Planned Parenthood of Southwest and Central Florida, Inc. in Sarasota, Florida.

(25) Planned Parenthood of Hawaii in Honolulu, Hawaii.

(26) Planned Parenthood of Greater Washington and North Idaho in Yakima, Washington.

(27) Planned Parenthood of Illinois in Chicago, Illinois.

(28) Planned Parenthood of the St. Louis Region in St. Louis, Missouri.

(29) Planned Parenthood of Indiana, Inc. in Indianapolis, Indiana.

(30) Iowa Planned Parenthood Affiliate League in Des Moines, Iowa.

(31) Planned Parenthood of East Central Iowa in Cedar Rapids, Iowa.

(32) Planned Parenthood of the Heartland in Des Moines, Iowa.

(33) Planned Parenthood of Southeast Iowa in Burlington, Iowa.

(34) Planned Parenthood of Kansas and Mid-Missouri in Overland Park, Kansas.

(35) Planned Parenthood of Kentucky, Inc. in Louisville, Kentucky.

(36) Planned Parenthood Southwest Ohio Region in Cincinnati, Ohio.

(37) Planned Parenthood Gulf Coast, Inc. in Houston, Texas.

(38) Planned Parenthood of Northern New England in Williston, Vermont.

(39) Planned Parenthood of Maryland, Inc. in Baltimore, Maryland.

(40) Planned Parenthood League of Massachusetts in Boston, Massachusetts.

(41) Planned Parenthood Affiliates of Michigan in Lansing, Michigan.

(42) Planned Parenthood of West and Northern Michigan in Grand Rapids, Michigan.

(43) Planned Parenthood Mid and South Michigan in Ann Arbor, Michigan.

(44) Planned Parenthood of South Central Michigan in Kalamazoo, Michigan.

(45) Planned Parenthood of Minnesota, North Dakota, South Dakota in St. Paul, Minnesota.

(46) Planned Parenthood of Southwest Missouri in St. Louis, Missouri.

(47) Tri-Rivers Planned Parenthood in Rolla, Missouri.

(48) Planned Parenthood of Montana, Inc. in Billings, Montana.

(49) Planned Parenthood of the Heartland in Omaha, Nebraska.

(50) Planned Parenthood Affiliates of New Jersey in Trenton, New Jersey.

[Page: H1156] GPO's PDF

(51) Planned Parenthood Association of the Mercer Area in Trenton, New Jersey.

(52) Planned Parenthood of Central New Jersey in Shrewsbury, New Jersey.

(53) Planned Parenthood of Greater Northern New Jersey, Inc. in Morristown, New Jersey.

(54) Planned Parenthood of Metropolitan New Jersey in Newark, New Jersey.

(55) Planned Parenthood of Southern New Jersey in Camden, New Jersey.

(56) Planned Parenthood of New Mexico, Inc. in Albuquerque, New Mexico.

(57) Family Planning Advocates of New York State in Albany, New York.

(58) Planned Parenthood Hudson Peconic, Inc. in Hawthorne, New York.

(59) Planned Parenthood Mohawk Hudson in Utica, New York.

(60) Planned Parenthood of Mid-Hudson Valley, Inc. in Poughkeepsie, New York.

(61) Planned Parenthood of Nassau County, Inc. in Hempstead, New York.

(62) Planned Parenthood of New York City, Inc. in New York, New York.

(63) Planned Parenthood of the North Country New York, Inc. in Watertown, New York.

(64) Planned Parenthood of South Central New York, Inc. in Oneonta, New York.

(65) Planned Parenthood of the Rochester/Syracuse Region in Rochester, New York.

(66) Planned Parenthood of the Southern Finger Lakes in Ithaca, New York.

(67) Planned Parenthood of Western New York, Inc. in Buffalo, New York.

(68) Upper Hudson Planned Parenthood, Inc. in Albany, New York.

(69) Planned Parenthood Health Systems, Inc. in Raleigh, North Carolina.

(70) Planned Parenthood of Central North Carolina in Chapel Hill, North Carolina.

(71) Planned Parenthood Affiliates of Ohio in Columbus, Ohio.

(72) Planned Parenthood of Central Ohio, Inc. in Columbus, Ohio.

(73) Planned Parenthood of Northeast Ohio in Akron, Ohio.

(74) Planned Parenthood of Northwest Ohio in Toledo, Ohio.

(75) Planned Parenthood of Southeast Ohio in Athens, Ohio.

(76) Planned Parenthood of Central Oklahoma, Inc. in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma.

(77) Planned Parenthood Advocates of Oregon in Eugene, Oregon.

(78) Planned Parenthood of Southwestern Oregon in Eugene, Oregon.

(79) Planned Parenthood Columbia Willamette in Portland, Oregon.

(80) Planned Parenthood Pennsylvania Advocates in Harrisburg, Pennsylvania.

(81) Planned Parenthood Association of Bucks County in Warminster, Pennsylvania.

(82) Planned Parenthood of Central Pennsylvania, Inc. in York, Pennsylvania.

(83) Planned Parenthood of Northeast and Mid-Penn in Trexlertown, Pennsylvania.

(84) Planned Parenthood of Western Pennsylvania in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.

(85) Planned Parenthood Southeastern Pennsylvania in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.

(86) Planned Parenthood of Middle and East Tennessee, Inc. in Nashville, Tennessee.

(87) Texas Association of Planned Parenthood Affiliates in Austin, Texas.

(88) Planned Parenthood Association of Cameron & Willacy Counties, Inc. in Brownsville, Texas.

(89) Planned Parenthood Association of Hidalgo County, Inc. in McAllen, Texas.

(90) Planned Parenthood Association of Lubbock, Inc. in Lubbock, Texas.

(91) Planned Parenthood of Central Texas, Inc. in Waco, Texas.

(92) Planned Parenthood of North Texas, Inc. in Dallas, Texas.

(93) Planned Parenthood of the Texas Capital Region in Austin, Texas.

(94) Planned Parenthood of West Texas, Inc. in Odessa, Texas.

(95) Planned Parenthood Trust of San Antonio and South Central Texas in San Antonio, Texas.

(96) Planned Parenthood Association of Utah in Salt Lake City, Utah.

(97) Planned Parenthood Advocates of Virginia in Charlottesville, Virginia.

(98) Planned Parenthood of Southeastern Virginia, Inc. in Hampton, Virginia.

(99) Virginia League for Planned Parenthood in Richmond, Virginia.

(100) Planned Parenthood Public Policy Network of Washington in Seattle, Washington.

(101) Mt. Baker Planned Parenthood in Bellingham, Washington.

(102) Planned Parenthood of Wisconsin, Inc. in Milwaukee, Wisconsin.

Actions have consequences. Rep. Pence argued that his amendment was appropriate given that Planned Parenthood has been caught lawbreaking multiple times.

Pence's argument basically refutes itself. As he points out, in cases where PP employees have been found breaking the law, they've been prosecuted or held civilly liable. And the case he cites from "just last week" about PP employees coaching people with underage sex trafficking victims are heavily edited videos from Certified Fucking Lunatics, Live Action. What's typically omitted from the story is that Planned Parenthood employees promptly called shenanigans, reported them to the FBI, and released an open letter about the person attempting to entrap them into criminal behavior several days before the heavily edited videos were released, most of which showed members of Planned Parenthood fulfilling their legal obligations. If that's your evidence, keep trying.

Organizations should only be held accountable for the actions of their members when there's widespread, systemic abuse, not for a few isolated (or fabricated) instances where the perpetrators have already been punished.

I don't think most people would approve of their tax dollars going to companies that break the law. If the organization is so dependent on federal funding that it can't operate its essential services without it, then shouldn't we be blaming the people who run Planned Parenthood for jeopardizing their key funding source?

I don't want my tax dollars going to defense contractors who contractually deny their female employees legal recourse after they've been raped and locked in a box for 24 hours, but hey, some Republican Senators disagree.

• Upvote 1

I don't want my tax dollars going to defense contractors who contractually deny their female employees legal recourse after they've been raped and locked in a box for 24 hours, but hey, some Republican Senators disagree.

Which senators condoned and/or encouraged suppressing/dismissing this case? From what I've read on the subject, the only senator truly involved was Poe(R-TX) who contacted the U.S. Embassy in Baghdad resulting in State Department agents recovering her tampered rape kit and freed her. Blame seems to fall on the DOJ...but hey, maybe I forgot the caveat that gave the GOP complete control over the DOJ.

• Downvote 2

No. That's not what I asked for. You said:

In the status quo, many people living in poverty have access to essential health services exclusively, or almost exclusively through Planned Parenthood clinics.

Giving a list of Planned Parenthood clinics affected by the amendment does nothing to prove your claim. Namely, you claimed that a Planned Parenthood clinic is the exclusive or almost exclusive provider of "essential health services" to many poor people. Citation please.

Organizations should only be held accountable for the actions of their members when there's widespread, systemic abuse, not for a few isolated (or fabricated) instances where the perpetrators have already been punished.

I'm not defending the amendment on its merits, I don't know the details or truth of the charges that Pence made. But here, I don't understand why you draw this line. The government doesn't have to give money to anybody, so why shouldn't it be allowed to deny funding requests to lawbreaking organizations even if the violations are not "widespread" and "systemic"?

1. But that amendment also passed, so what's the issue?

2. Is there not a significant difference between accusing a company of direct lawbreaking compared to accusing a company of requiring that certain legal claims against it be resolved in binding arbitration instead of more expensive court action?

• Downvote 1

No. That's not what I asked for. Giving a list of Planned Parenthood clinics affected by the amendment does nothing to prove your claim. Namely, you claimed that a Planned Parenthood clinic is the exclusive or almost exclusive provider of "essential health services" to many poor people. Citation please.

It was a rhetorical device to illustrate the extent of the services Planned Parenthood provides.

http://www.hhs.gov/opa/familyplanning/toolsdocs/fpar_2009_national_summary.pdf

http://web.archive.org/web/20080430033247/http://www.plannedparenthood.org/issues-action/birth-control/family-planning-6553.htm

http://www.guttmacher.org/pubs/fulfill.pdf

I'm not defending the amendment on its merits, I don't know the details or truth of the charges that Pence made. But here, I don't understand why you draw this line. The government doesn't have to give money to anybody, so why shouldn't it be allowed to deny funding requests to lawbreaking organizations even if the violations are not "widespread" and "systemic"?

Okay, one, they DON'T have this authority, because that's called a bill of attainder and it's unconstitutional. A legislative declaration of guilt and imposition of punishment - even merely withdrawing federal funds - is a violation of the seperation of powers. We already covered this ground on the ACORN debate. There needs to be a substantial legislative non-punitive purpose to the bill.

Two, I'm not even arguing that defunding PP shouldn't be allowed but that it shouldn't happen. I think PP provides a valuable service and should not be held responsible for the actions of the few, especially when (by and large) the organization has done their due diligence.

1. But that amendment also passed, so what's the issue?

Um, thirty Republicans sided against rape victims and aligned themselves with the military-industrial complex for transparently specious reasons?

2. Is there not a significant difference between accusing a company of direct lawbreaking compared to accusing a company of requiring that certain legal claims against it be resolved in binding arbitration instead of more expensive court action?

The court case is not the issue here. It's the members of both Planned Parenthood and KBM are accused of having broken the law (KBR members should be tried, as should Planned Parenthood members). In response, the Congress has attempted to place restrictions on the ability of these organizations to access federal funds. The analogy holds, you're just intentionally focusing on the wrong part of it.

Pence's argument basically refutes itself. As he points out, in cases where PP employees have been found breaking the law, they've been prosecuted or held civilly liable. And the case he cites from "just last week" about PP employees coaching people with underage sex trafficking victims are heavily edited videos from Certified Fucking Lunatics, Live Action. What's typically omitted from the story is that Planned Parenthood employees promptly called shenanigans, reported them to the FBI, and released an open letter about the person attempting to entrap them into criminal behavior several days before the heavily edited videos were released, most of which showed members of Planned Parenthood fulfilling their legal obligations. If that's your evidence, keep trying.

So there's Planned Parenthood, which in the video is enabling prostitution, the exploitation of minors, the encouragement of illegal medical practices, and the illegal use of taxpayer money, among many other illegitimate and otherwise ethically compromising activities, and Live Action, the group trying to stop all of that, are the Crazy Ones? Are you retarded?

Next up: making assertions on a video you haven't even seen. Damn dude, them's balls. Let's make a checklist: Shenanigans calling...no. Report to the FBI...no(FBI lolwut?). Releasing an open letter about the person...no. Entrapment? Do you even understand how entrapment works in the US? Protip: the kind you see on TV doesn't exist. The video was a single shot, the chick in the video again and again makes the comments on assisting the illegal activity, as well as comments acknowledging things like the girls being underage. If they knew it was a sting, they really fucked up.

KBR:

1) Doesn't have systemic corruption

2) Took actions to protect themselves from potential litigation and to avoid a major scandal, both which they were justified in doing.

PP:

1) Has systemic corruption

2) Has been repeatedly shown to aid in illegal activities to which there has been no national mandate or education or otherwise. From the moment PP was made aware of the actions of its employees, it should have done a national self-edification. It would be as simple as "Hey, if there's a pimp wanting to know how to get his underage prostitutes STD screens and abortions, you should tell him to GTFO." Wow, look, no video of a sting.

That Planned Parenthood repeatedly neglected to modify its behavior indicates apathy. If an organization receiving federal funding is apathetic toward the stopping of parts of its system encouraging illegal activity, they can go fuck themselves.

One more thing:

Um, thirty Republicans sided against rape victims and aligned themselves with the military-industrial complex for transparently specious reasons?

You do not understand how defense contracting works and their role in the Middle East. Please, please, please, stop.

Please specifically cite the HHS statistics, as listening to Planned Parenthood (lol) and the Guttmacher Institute (double lol) is like saying "Sure, I don't care about the truth."

Okay, one, they DON'T have this authority, because that's called a bill of attainder and it's unconstitutional. A legislative declaration of guilt and imposition of punishment - even merely withdrawing federal funds - is a violation of the seperation of powers. We already covered this ground on the ACORN debate. There needs to be a substantial legislative non-punitive purpose to the bill.

Please stop bringing the law up as a part of your arguments.

1) Planned Parenthood is shown to have empiric systemic corruption

2) USFG removes funding

No attainder. Not even relevant.

Edited by Dr. McNinja
  • Downvote 2

Okay, one, troll. Most of your claims are ad hominems or requests for additional clarification on things that are already pretty clear, which I'm going to ignore.

I don't think the issue of bills of attainder is irrelevant here, on my understanding of the issue. Here's the Congressional Research Service, finding that "it appears that a court may have a sufficient basis to overcome the presumption of constitutionality, and find that the proposed Defund ACORN Act violates the prohibition against bills of attainder."

Gotta remember to justify those claims, bud.

Finally, you're missing the point at issue, which is that I don't think you've provided enough evidence to prove that that Planned Parenthood, the organization with a billion-dollar budget that runs over eight hundred health centers around the country, is engaged in systemic (rather than sporadic corruption). To the extent that illegal activity has occurred, of course it should result in charges being filed against the individuals in the organization who are responsible for it, or at least people losing their jobs. But you've presented, at most, one example. I believe that finding some kind of collective responsibility for these actions has a high burden of proof. There either needs to be substantial evidence of high-level corruption among the leadership of the organization or widespread and persistent low-level corruption among its members amounting to administrative failure, and that's not even on the table yet.

I don't have time to read through all of those and do your work for you. Give me a direct citation to evidence that clearly shows that Planned Parenthood is the exclusive (or almost exclusive) provider of essential health services to many people living in poverty. This is the third time I've had to ask, it's getting ridiculous and I'm starting to think you've been bullshitting from the start.

You don't really understand the law here. First, the ACORN bill you're using as an analogy was, in the CRS's eyes, a close call, not definitively a punishment but possibly. That bill went far farther than this Amendment does. The ACORN bill not only denied funding for one budget cycle (as this one does), but for indefinite cycles in the future. The ACORN Bill also applied to all federal expenditures, while this only only applies to the expenditures in H.R. 1. The ACORN Bill also disallowed the organization from contracting with the government in any way, while the Pence Amendment does not, it only affects direct federal outlays.

So if the ACORN Bill is a close call, the Pence Amendment is much closer to constitutional.

Two, I'm not even arguing that defunding PP shouldn't be allowed but that it shouldn't happen. I think PP provides a valuable service and should not be held responsible for the actions of the few, especially when (by and large) the organization has done their due diligence.
Great, write to Mike Pence and your Senators.

The court case is not the issue here. It's the members of both Planned Parenthood and KBM are accused of having broken the law (KBR members should be tried, as should Planned Parenthood members). In response, the Congress has attempted to place restrictions on the ability of these organizations to access federal funds. The analogy holds, you're just intentionally focusing on the wrong part of it.

Again, you have no idea what the Franken Amendment did. It was never about going after the "members" (I assume you mean employees) of KBR who allegedly committed the rapes. The Franken Amendment dealt with whether an employee could sue KBR when a co-worker committed a tort against him or her. KBR put in the employment contract that such disputes against the company had to be arbitrated and the Franken Amendment undid that.

At no time was there any debate about whether the employees could sue each other or report crimes to the proper authorities for criminal proceedings.

The 30 republicans who voted against the Franken Amendment sided against government interference with the right to contract to binding arbitration in employer-employee duty of care suits. They did not "side against rape victims."

Edited by Fox On Socks

You're not reading what I'm saying, Fox.

Sec. 8104. (a) None of the funds appropriated or otherwise made available by this Act may be used for any existing or new Federal contract if the contractor or a subcontractor at any tier requires that an employee or independent contractor, as a condition of employment, sign a contract that mandates that the employee or independent contractor performing work under the contract or subcontract resolve through arbitration any claim under title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 or any tort related to or arising out of sexual assault or harassment, including assault and battery, intentional infliction of emotional distress, false imprisonment, or negligent hiring, supervision, or retention.

The issue that I'm getting at is restrictions placed on these organizations' ability to access federal funds as a result of allegations of criminal behavior on the part of the members. I'm fully aware of what the amendment actually did. The analogy was this: when members of Planned Parenthood are implicated in lawbreaking, Congressional Republicans defund them and remove their ability to access federal grants. But when employees of defense contractors commit rape and unlawful imprisonment, Congressional Republicans oppose even a basic level of oversight and restrictions on federal funds to prevent these companies from abusing the power of contract. You are correct in pointing out a difference; it's just not an importantly relevant difference.

In very simple terms: Republicans support notions of "collective guilt" and wielding the budget like a weapon to prevent illegal behavior for healthcare service providers and not for Defense contractors.

Edited by Screech

The analogy was this: when members of Planned Parenthood are implicated in lawbreaking, Congressional Republicans defund them and remove their ability to access federal grants. But when employees of defense contractors commit rape and unlawful imprisonment, Congressional Republicans oppose even a basic level of oversight and restrictions on federal funds to prevent these companies from abusing the power of contract. You are correct in pointing out a difference; it's just not an importantly relevant difference.

Well sure, the difference isn't important if you ignore the sleight-of-hand you pulled there.

The key difference is that nobody accused KBR of wrongdoing. To the extent that the rape allegations are accurate, it's pretty clear that the employees who committed the sexual assaults were acting outside the scope of their employment for the purposes of agency law. That doesn't mean that KBR is off the hook from a lawsuit, but it does mean that it's ridiculous to claim that KBR directly raped anyone. KBR also didn't avoid liability, it just avoided lawsuits. It could still be held liable in binding arbitration and have to pay damages.

Conversely, the employees accused in the Planned Parenthood cases do appear to have had actual or apparent authority. So their actions can be imputed on their employer directly. Further, unlike with KBR, there is no alternate way of achieving a similar result against Planned Parenthood. The only way to deny funding is to deny funding; while KBR could be taken to arbitration even if lawsuits were unavailable.

So yeah, apart from the critical differences of substance vs. procedure, agent liability, and alternate remedies, the situations are exactly alike and represent republican lawmakers prioritizing killers over health clinics.