kpucci

Spreading

This is my first year at debating and right now i read at about 300 words per minute but i would like to get that up to 350 words per minute. I tried the pen drill and it sort of worked but i was wondering if there were any other good drills

focus on enunciation for five minutes

read backwards for five minutes.

put 'a' between every word for five minutes

then pen drill for five minutes

Then spread however long you want to feel the difference

This is my first year at debating and right now i read at about 300 words per minute but i would like to get that up to 350 words per minute. I tried the pen drill and it sort of worked but i was wondering if there were any other good drills

http://www.cross-x.com/topic/51005-introducing-spreading/page__p__838429__hl__speed__fromsearch__1#entry838429

http://www.cross-x.com/topic/50698-speaking-drills-other-stuff/page__p__834898__hl__speed__fromsearch__1#entry834898

These threads should give you some ideas.

I've always found that the enunciation and pen drill didn't do a lot for me. For me, i'ts usually best to put a word between words (I don't particularly like A, so I use watermelon) and the backwards drill. It helps to do these before your rounds start as well.

Try this: http://www.spreeder.com/

It plays stuff back at an adjustable rate, allowing you to slowly increase your speed. As a novice though, there are two things you should keep in mind (you may know these already, but they're important if you don't).

On some circuits, at least in LD, novices judges are often inexperienced; parents, janitors, music/art teachers, etc. Don't spread in front of these people. This should seem fairly obvious, but you'd be surprised by how many do.

WPM is utterly irrelevant. What matters is IAPM (intelligible arguments per minute), since your opponent responds to your arguments, not your individual words. These arguments also have to be intelligible, meaning that if extra arguments come at the price of coherency, they seldom are worth it. Finally, they should be quality arguments. At least in my (LD) opinion, loads of blippy, unwarranted arguments aren't helpful. Whether you win with them on paper doesn't matter if the judge isn't convinced.

• Upvote 1

Smooth rate of delivery drill

3 minutes- accelerating into full speed

2 minutes- decelerating to a smooth rate of delivery that you can still go fast, but won't say "Uh" or pause as much

5 minutes- at your smooth rate reading shit.

could someone explain pen drill?

Put a pen in your mouth so that the end with the nib is on the left and the clicky-button-thing is on the right. Now read out loud.

• Upvote 1

oh thanks.... do you bite down while its in your mouth? and should it be toward the front or back?

Keep it in the front; I've found that just behind the canines works best. Bite down enough to keep from swallowing/dropping the pen but don't overdo it.