Sign in to follow this  
Vincent7

Curse of the X-1

How do I break it? I always go X-1 in prelims, and not even that I lose the last power-matched round, it can be any random round in the tournament, but at most tournaments that I do well at my record is usually X-1. At first I thought it was just me being a scrub, but after going X-1 five times it's really gotten to be annoying. Anybody have tips on how to break it?

• Downvote 1

How do I break it? I always go X-1 in prelims, and not even that I lose the last power-matched round, it can be any random round in the tournament, but at most tournaments that I do well at my record is usually X-1. At first I thought it was just me being a scrub, but after going X-1 five times it's really gotten to be annoying. Anybody have tips on how to break it?

Go X-0. That should do the trick.

• Upvote 2

Losing 1 random round each tournament as you indicate implies a lack of consistency. This probably means you debate to the level of your opponent, that means you debate well when debating good teams and can beat them. But poor teams who muddle things you probably get sucked in to their muddling instead of clearing things meaning you can lose any debate. This a problem many debaters suffer from.

My first piece of advice is that you need to set in place routines for how you debate each round. I.e. every round this how we approach covering the case well, this is our plan for when the flow gets messy.

Second, look at your loses. Are you losing to the same thing twice? After each debate do you make sure to eliminate that specific debate problem. Many debaters are very concerned about global or generic tips, but they don't cover the 1 thing that is easiest and most immediate make sure you never lose the same way twice. Regardless of what we can tell you if you go and do that eventually you will probably stop losing because you are fixing your most immediate weaknesses.