stantheman

The Politics DA

I'm curious, how much time do you spend researching politics each week and when do you usually research it? I've found it hard to balance cutting updates with the rest of the research burden.

I'm curious, how much time do you spend researching politics each week and when do you usually research it? I've found it hard to balance cutting updates with the rest of the research burden.

When cutting a whole scenario I'd usually start the week of the tournament, perhaps a little earlier (internals can be very timeframe based depending on the current political climate, so it depends on the scenario). For generic uniqueness updates/aff answers I usually do it sometime in the span of the two days prior to the tournament starting as it provides for the most up to date uniqueness.

In terms of politics vs. other assignments I'd say it depends on your squad. For instance, on my squad there's only two teams that actively read/extend politics, so we generally divide the updating between us. If you go for politics and like having it as an argument, I'd say take the time to do updates for it.

I think the only scenario in which researching politics over doing case neg updates is if your case neg is really outdated, otherwise you can probably find the time to do politics updates alongside your neg work. If you are the 2A, though, prioritize doing aff updates (seems like a no brainer).

• Downvote 1

these files usually take me 3 to 3 and a half hours or so, depending on how focused in am, basically good google alerts help so i can cut some each day really quickly and really specific search terms for all the rest

as for the rest of my burden, i'm a 2ac so I dont do broad files all that often, just exploratory and specific block work, I also run KORUS on the aff so this is like killing 2 birds with one stone

I also run KORUS on the aff

a model for politics debaters everywhere

• Downvote 1

It's all about cutting those deterrence updates ever week. Lol. Tix.

CP: Pass KORUS?

it's an internal politics scenario, so that's doesn't really solve South Korean opposition

Edited by stantheman
  • Upvote 1

cp: south korea passes korus?

opp costs, troops make KORUS ineffective, parliament will hold out unless troops

if you are gonna make files, at least make them half decent. these are god awful.

ba'awwwwwwwwww

God that green text w/ purple highlighting.

Anyways, I'd like an explanation of the focus cards you put in your files. I guess I get the premise of a focus DA- plan shifts focus from something important to plan, shit goes down. Is this really a common disad though? Is it something that time should be dedicated to, on aff and neg? Also, if I'm just completely off the mark as to what a focus DA is, you're welcome to correct me.

• Upvote 1

God that green text w/ purple highlighting.

Anyways, I'd like an explanation of the focus cards you put in your files. I guess I get the premise of a focus DA- plan shifts focus from something important to plan, shit goes down. Is this really a common disad though? Is it something that time should be dedicated to, on aff and neg? Also, if I'm just completely off the mark as to what a focus DA is, you're welcome to correct me.

Green text was because it was St. Patty's Day- I thought it was clever

Focus DAs were pretty common last year and in light of the scant legislation in congress, I thought they might resurface. Your assertion of the disad is correct.

I dont understand your question about "dedicating time" to it- are you asking why it's worth that I cut them or why the scenario is run?

Green text was because it was St. Patty's Day- I thought it was clever

Focus DAs were pretty common last year and in light of the scant legislation in congress, I thought they might resurface. Your assertion of the disad is correct.

I dont understand your question about "dedicating time" to it- are you asking why it's worth that I cut them or why the scenario is run?

I laughed when I opened the doc haha. It just burned when I saw that one purple highlighted card! Your cleverness goes appreciated.

Hmm. I guess like, is it something viable to go for, like politics? Or is it more of a squirrelly position, like riders? Should time be allocated to developing the argument it into a good position with 2nc blocks, diverse impacts, or would that time be better spent elsewhere?