retired

Checking in from Wisconsin

Those here concerned with labor, protest, struggle, etc. should keep their eyes on Madison and the rest of the state this week.

There is a collective bargaining showdown that is pretty much the blueprint for Republican governors to do the bidding of the Club for Growth.

The plans mock the $100 million in concessions public employees have already made, as well as removes the right to collectively assemble.

Please show your support for our union brothers and sisters. Its hard enough for public employees who make $28k a year, we don't need to cut 6% of their take home.

• Upvote 2

Ed Schultz is here. Dem Senators walked out, possibly fled the state to avoid quorum call.

State police is headed (now) by Daddy Fitzgerald, father of the head of the assembly and the senate (brothers).

I wouldn't be surprised if they Tased Mark Pocan and bring him in flexicuffs to vote on this thing.

If they can drag this thing out til Saturday, expect to see turnout above 60k.

thanks.. we shut down the capitol today, we'll do it again and again until the bill is killed

there are serious talks of general strike

thanks.. we shut down the capitol today, we'll do it again and again until the bill is killed

there are serious talks of general strike

Why is this not on the news? I can't believe I hadn't heard about this... Definitely following it now.

because we dont have tricorner hats and spitting the 'common wisdom' of billionaire front groups

real labor isn't sexy like telling the government to keep its hands off my medicare!

So tell us what's really going on, because the news out on the east coast is making it sound like the governor just wants the teachers, et al., to pay more for their health insurance and for their pensions (pension or 401K?) and a lot of people out here already pay increased health care premiums and for their 401ks, etc....so it's being portrayed as if a bunch of spoiled bums are moaning because they might actually have to pay their way a bit more..what's the real story?

the bill basically removes the collective bargaining power for public unions, afscme, etc. the same bill is also up in ohio right now - there was a much smaller protest here.

So tell us what's really going on, because the news out on the east coast is making it sound like the governor just wants the teachers, et al., to pay more for their health insurance and for their pensions (pension or 401K?) and a lot of people out here already pay increased health care premiums and for their 401ks, etc....so it's being portrayed as if a bunch of spoiled bums are moaning because they might actually have to pay their way a bit more..what's the real story?

1. Ending collective bargaining for ALL municipal and state employees except for certain groups of police officers and firefighters (the EXACT groups that endorsed the republican governor)

2. Eliminating wage negotiations beyond CPI for ALL municipal and state employees: teachers, street crews, garbage peeps, as well as city planners, engineers, county and state medical staff, researchers, TAs, other academic staff

3. Unconstitutional changes to Badgercare/Medicaid that bypass the legislative process

4. REMOVING THE FLAGSHIP UNIVERSITY FROM THE UNIVERSITY OF WISCONSIN SYSTEM WTF!

5. Over $1 billion cuts to public education

AND FINALLY

FINALLY

The whole budget crisis is INVENTED. In walkers first week in office he gave out $140 million in tax breaks to multinational, non wisconsin companies.

Then turns to the unions and says: we are short $137 million! (We had a $121 million surplus). Its your fault! The 6-12% cut in take home is just icing on the cake. These could have easily been part of good faith labor negotiations.

Its an obvious union busting ploy. Its all politics. This isn't even a budget, its a budget REPAIR bill. Its the biggest fuck you to the middle class a governor can do.

Edited by retired

Huh..that other stuff isn't really being reported..the stories just talk about the wage stuff, and the way the collective bargaining is being reported is that "it would end all bargaining EXCEPT for wages and health benefits" which I'm guessing isn't the truth? Thanks for providing the missing details, I now know why everyone is angry!

Seems to be a common occurrence these days where teachers and public workers bite the bullet on pay raises year after year in exchange for keeping benefits packages (because they have families.) Then a couple years later they yank the benefits and say "what's the big deal? They had a sweet package anyway." So, basically, these folks are back to 2001 pay levels and have crappy insurance to show for it.

From the other side...

Absolutely disgusting.

LOL, teachers "selfishly" refused to show up to work when the deal they worked out was reversed, and the right to bargain with their employer was being threatened. Wow. Hey Sean, they aren't slaves...they have rights too. What a jackass.

"Well, I think that's why, I think this is going to back fire. Especially now that we see the president, and organized labor, and, you know, this unholy alliance between the Democratic Party and labor."

Christ. Particularly disturbing is his call to just fire all the teachers like Reagan did with the air traffic controllers. That's definitely the best solution for the children, Sean!

WI_Solidarity.PNG

‎"You have to give Gov. Walker of Wisconsin and his wealthy patrons credit. Here we have a situation where Wall Street fat cats wrecked the economy - and they've somehow managed to blame schoolteachers and the highway patrol." ~Dean Baker

• Upvote 2

because we dont have tricorner hats and spitting the 'common wisdom' of billionaire front groups

real labor isn't sexy like telling the government to keep its hands off my medicare!

whatevs. yall are hella sexy. keep us updated!

Of course, unions also end up protecting very, very shitty teachers. VERY SHITTY.

Although, the bill at hand hurts the good teachers.

I guess I'd say this bill should go die

I was at the protests last Thursday and no one was even talking about the cuts (Including signs and the public hearing). It was pretty much only about collective bargaining. In addition, yesterday the union talked to Walker and said they would accept the cuts if he canceled the collective bargaining part, but he said the state couldn't afford that... Lol.

wayne krammer (mc5)

tom morrello (and the nightwatchmen [ratm])

rise against

dropkick murhpys

monday at the capitol

we are going to win this thing

• Upvote 1

wayne krammer (mc5)

tom morrello (and the nightwatchmen [ratm])

rise against

dropkick murhpys

monday at the capitol

we are going to win this thing

At least musically.

As a son of two educators in Texas, y'all have our full support. Texas Governor Perry is cutting around $5 billion in public education, eliminating funds that help pay for pre-kindergarten, arts education, teacher incentive pay and technology. He also plans to cut about $1.8 billion in higher education. Rich school districts won't have a problem, but poor ones (like mine) will have to cut programs (like debate) or possibly even layoff teachers. I hope this does not happen, but we too have a crisis like Wisconsin.

And the protesters have our full support, give 'em hell.

• Upvote 1