my_legs_hurt

Wyoming Forensics Institute 2011

The dates and tuition for the 2011 Wyoming Forensics Institute have finally been set. We will offer policy, lincoln douglas, public forum and forensics events as we always have.

We will offer two-week and three-week sessions this year. Dates and tuition are as follows:

2 week: July 10 through July 23. $900 Tuition (includes board, food, t-shirt and lab fees)

3 week: July 10 through July 30. $1250 Tuition (includes board, food, t-shirt and lab fees)

Unfortunately, there was a slight tuition increase compared to last year because food prices especially have risen and the University has started charging sales tax for room and board. However, we are still the lowest priced camp in the region, cheaper than nearly every single full two or three week institute in the country, often by several hundred dollars.

We will also be offering a coaches workshop during the camp for coaches in the region wishing to learn more about the year's topic, debate arguments and strategy, and administrative/management issues.

More details will be made available as they are set. With this being my first year as director, please be patient as we set down details for the camp in more concrete terms. If you have any questions, please feel free to get in touch with me at traviscram@gmail.com

• Upvote 1

This is a excellent camp. I went there during the 2007 topic/judged during 2009. For the money there is no place quite like it. There is great instructing, and plenty of skill building. The camp is also scheduled around the most beautiful time to be in Laramie.

• Upvote 1

Here is a short bio of several of the staff members that will be at this years WFI. And we will be adding two or three more as well.

Travis Cram: University of Wyoming, Camp director.

Travis Cram is the Director of Forensics at the University of Wyoming. Travis debated for Cheyenne East where he won 3 consecutive Wyoming State championships and a 10th place finish at NFL Nationals. In college, Travis debated for Macalester College and the University of Wyoming. His list of accomplishments includes speaker awards and elimination round appearances at Kentucky, Wake Forest, Northwestern, UT Austin and USC, CEDA Nationals and the National Debate Tournament. After assisting the University of Kansas in their 2009 National Championship, Travis assumed head coaching responsibilities at UW.

Will Mosley Jensen: University of Georgia, Curriculum director.

Will Mosley Jensen is an assistant debate coach at the University of Georgia. Will also debated for Cheyenne East, qualifying for the TOC and achieving a 7th place finish at NFL Nationals his senior year. Will was a four-time qualifier to the National Debate Tournament for the University of Wyoming. His list of competitive achievements includes winning the 2007 Weber Round Robin and elimination round appearances and speaking awards at Georgia State, Kentucky, Harvard, Northwestern, UT Austin, USC, CEDA Nationals and the National Debate Tournament. Will has coached at the University of Georgia for the last three years where the squad has secured multiple first round bids to the NDT and had deep elimination appearances at nearly every national tournament.

RJ Giglio: University of Oklahoma, Lab leader.

RJ Giglio is currently a debater for the University of Oklahoma. RJ debated for Caddo Magnet High School in Louisiana and was a three-time qualifier to the TOC. His senior year included speaker awards in the top 3 at 7 major national tournaments. As a debater for Oklahoma, RJ has been a dominant force on the college circuit, earning three first round bids to the National Debate Tournament and qualifying a fourth time as a freshman. He has had top 10 speaker awards, deep elimination appearances and tournament victories at some of the most prestigious college tournaments, including Wake Forest, Texas, Harvard and Kentucky. RJ is also the defending two-time CEDA National Champion.

Mike Bausch: University of Wyoming, Lab leader.

Mike Bausch is actively finishing his final semester of debate for the University of Wyoming. Mike debated for Centennial High School in Boise, Idaho. Mike is a four-time qualifier to the National Debate Tournament and has had one of the most dominating years in Wyoming Debate history. His significant accomplishments include winning the 2010 Weber Round Robin, three consecutive final four appearances at the Las Vegas Classic, the sweet 16 of Wake Forest and speaker awards at nearly every tournament he has appeared at.

Chris Loghry: University of Wyoming, Lab leader.

Chris Loghry is joining the University of Wyoming as an assistant coach after a long and successful debate career at Emporia State University in Kansas. Chris also debated for Cheyenne East in high school, winning the Wyoming State tournament his senior year. As a college debater for Emporia, Chris qualified to the National Debate Tournament two times and was also in the elimination rounds of countless tournaments. Elimination appearance and speaker awards occurred at the University of Northern Iowa, Central Oklahoma, Wake Forest, Georgia State, Gonzaga and CEDA Nationals.

Matt Struth: Liberty University, Lab leader.

Matt Struth is a coach for Liberty University. As a debater at the University of Mary Washington, he received a first-round bid to the National Debate Tournament, was a quarter-finalist at the NDT, and was the winner of the 2009 American Debate Association National Championship. He also was the top speaker at ADA Nationals and twelfth speaker at the NDT. He has coached college debate for the past two years and has worked with high school debate for the past six.

Risha Bhattacharjee: University of Texas, Lab Leader

Risha Bhattacharjee debated at Coppell High School for four years, where she qualified for the TOC with 4 bids her junior year and was in the elimination rounds of every major tournament of the season. She is also a two-time qualifier to the NFL National tournament. Risha currently debates for the University of Texas at Austin, where she has cleared at several tournaments, including both portions of the Texas Swings, Cal-Berkeley, and the University of Nevada-Las Vegas. She has been an assistant coach for Hendrickson High School in Pflugerville Texas for 1.5 years, helping a team become the first from their school to clear at a national tournament.

Paul Montreuil: University of Nevada- Las Vegas, Lab leader.

Paul began his debate career at Eagle High School where he was the Idaho state champion and a TOC bid winner. Paul continued his career at Idaho State University where he was a first round to the NDT. Paul has been in the deep elimination rounds at Harvard, USC, CEDA and cleared at every major national tournament, most notably the NDT. Paul was 9th speaker at CEDA his senior year. Paul coached at Idaho State University for one season and currently coaching at the University of Nevada Las Vegas and has qualified teams to the NDT at each school.

Donny Peters: Illinois State University, Lab leader.

Donny Peters was an All American debater at Ball State University. He has had over ten years of coaching experience, coaching successful teams at Ball State University, Illinois State University, Wayne State University and West Virginia University. Donny has had coaching success at all levels of debate. At Wayne State, he was part of a coaching staff that led the team to two consecutive semifinal appearances at the National Debate Tournament and won the American Debate Association Nationals. At both Wayne State and West Virginia, Donny coached teams into the elimination rounds at novice and junior varsity national tournaments. Donny has also contributed to team success in public style debates. At Ball State University, Donny was part of 2 national championship teams.

Edited by my_legs_hurt
updates
  • Upvote 1

The staff is largely finalized and it is an exceptionally strong staff representing every spectrum of debate, both regionally and argumentatively.

We are almost ready to start accepting registrations. My IT person is building the website as we speak. If you have questions, please shoot us an email at wyomingforensicsinstitute@gmail.com

Also, if you are considering WFI or are an alum or friend of the camp, check us out on facebook: http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Wyoming-Forensics-Institute/128727390534519

• Upvote 1

I would love to recommend this camp to debaters who aren't just in the Wyoming, Colorado, and Rocky Mountain area.

I have attended the Wyoming Forensics Institute for the past two summers, and benefited greatly from my experience. Debaters with all levels of experience in policy were given equal attention and the opportunity to advance their debate skills. The lectures, lab work, and practice rounds on the topic accommodated all skill levels in advancement. I am highly satisfied with my own progression, starting from first year novice and progressing to a potential debater in college. The WFI staff is highly qualified and has taken many young debaters and advanced them to high levels.

Matthew Wittrock, a debater from my school and fellow WFI attendee, also started as a slightly better than average debater from a primarily communications based circuit. His attendance to the Wyoming Forensics Institute was the basis of his improvement, which lead to his successes which include being Idaho State debate champion and picking up a TOC bid at Alta with an undefeated record on the neg.

The main point I want to make about the WFI is the price - you can get the same high quality debate education as larger camps for almost two grand less. These cheap prices are what allowed Wittrock, myself, and many policy debaters attend a debate camp. Hopefully it will allow other debaters to attend camp as well this summer.

• Upvote 2