South-X

Comprehensive Harvard Coverage

Am I the only person who can't see the video on the link? I just get a blank screen with some Cross-x ads and stuff, and "broadcasting live with UStream.TV" at the bottom.

Thanks for doing this by the way; it's really useful.

It is apparently now against Harvard policy to record and stream debate rounds. We're stopping coverage. Hoping to do this at later tournaments.

Scott

Edited by madc0de8

Just got a clarification. It is a Harvard campus policy to restrict video taping on campus. The debate team doesn't want to cause any conflict with their campus or administration, and at their polite request we were happy to comply.

I am glad we demonstrated the technical feasibility of this, and hope that in the future we can use the technology as a helpful tool.

Try the (same) streams here: http://www.cross-x.com/harvardstream/

Dustin, do you have Flash installed and enabled? The UStream.tv viewer requires it.

Worst case, stream 1 on the link above uses QuickTime so it might work for you without any hassle (assuming QT is installed/enabled).

More for reference for future instances when this is used, I do have flash (the most recent version) installed and quicktime, but the videos still weren't working.

This time it won't - I don't stalk them I go to the same school as them there's a difference...

No, I was talking about the person with the ATTN Eli Gold thread. I know you go to Beacon.

No, I was talking about the person with the ATTN Eli Gold thread. I know you go to Beacon.

It was a joke. Talk shit get hit.

The round robin is about to begin the final prelim, I will post all the results as I hear them, I will also try to live blog finals here.

It is apparently now against Harvard policy to record and stream debate rounds. We're stopping coverage. Hoping to do this at later tournaments.

Scott

Just a clarification: Harvard University requires a film permit to film anything on Harvard property. This has been their policy for years. While the Harvard Debate Council recognizes the educational value of videotaped rounds, we can't do anything that violates university policy. Our hands were tied on this issue. In the future, I would suggest checking with the team running the tournament/round robin before announcing that you are going to live stream rounds. Had you asked, we would have told you it was prohibited and prevented any confusion.

Gabrielle Tandet

Harvard Debate Council

Just a clarification: Harvard University requires a film permit to film anything on Harvard property. This has been their policy for years. While the Harvard Debate Council recognizes the educational value of videotaped rounds, we can't do anything that violates university policy. Our hands were tied on this issue. In the future, I would suggest checking with the team running the tournament/round robin before announcing that you are going to live stream rounds. Had you asked, we would have told you it was prohibited and prevented any confusion.

Gabrielle Tandet

Harvard Debate Council

Will do, this makes sense. If there is a video policy, most tournaments put it in the actual invite, which might also be useful in the future.

The only frustration I have is that I counted at least 4 other teams at the Round Robin video taping rounds before and after I was told to stop. Were they told to stop or was this policy just enforced to live streaming? There were multiple times where I even saw tournament personnel walk into rooms where video taping was going on after I was told to stop and nothing was said to them.

Thanks

Scott

well the warm room has all the teams going into round 7 that were 5-6

i know

lex ve

beacon df

and westminster AT

would meet that criteria but i have not scoured the list to see other teams.

in terms of 4-2s that won i don't know..

i know bcc beat Stratford so bcc is 5 right now.

is there a consensus that all 5's will break b/c that what i heard?

Results I know:

MCA AE d. Beacon DF

Carrollton DU d. GBS HS

Beacon BB d. Greenhill BU

Greenhill PP d. Brother Rice HC

Pembroke HV d. Gulliver MZ

St Mark's MB d. Carrollton CV

Results I know:

MCA AE d. Beacon DF

Carrollton DU d. GBS HS

Beacon BB d. Greenhill BU

Greenhill PP d. Brother Rice HC

Pembroke HV d. Gulliver MZ

St Mark's MB d. Carrollton CV

The MCA vs. Beacon debate must've been epic. What went down in the round?

Also, congrats to Eleanor and Evelyn on the bid.

The MCA vs. Beacon debate must've been epic. What went down in the round?

Also, congrats to Eleanor and Evelyn on the bid.

Damiyr and Miguel forfeited.