Sign in to follow this  
halfasianinvasion

What do I bring to debate camp (SNFI)?

Hi, I'm going to debate camp this summer at SNFI (Sophomore Scholars program). What do I need to bring (debate-wise)? Tubs? Expandos? How do you get your tubs to camp? Via mail or airline?

Thanks

Hi, I'm going to debate camp this summer at SNFI (Sophomore Scholars program). What do I need to bring (debate-wise)? Tubs? Expandos? How do you get your tubs to camp? Via mail or airline?

Thanks

Dunno what the camp is, but you should find out if they'll let you go paperless. Would save time/effort/annoyance.

One tub filled with expandos

Pens

Flow Paper

Extra Timers (you'll probably lose the one they give you)

Laptop (with charger)

Tons of Condoms.

Pens

Flow Paper

Laptop (with charger)

Tons of Condoms.

Don't forget mayonnaise and baby oil ;)

Thanks pals

If you get a chance, ask Parag or Winston from West. They went to camp. You will probably see them at Marquette and Districts.

• Downvote 1

Hey, I'm also from the St. Louis region. When I've gone to camp I've brought an expando or two, some flow paper, pens, and my laptop. Any necessary files that I used a lot I would print off(so maybe my aff and some major off case) and put in the expandos. And the rest I would read off of my laptop. Works well so you don't have to bring too much if you are flying cause you can just stick it into your backpack/carry on.

• Downvote 2

Hey, I'm also from the St. Louis region. When I've gone to camp I've brought an expando or two, some flow paper, pens, and my laptop. Any necessary files that I used a lot I would print off(so maybe my aff and some major off case) and put in the expandos. And the rest I would read off of my laptop. Works well so you don't have to bring too much if you are flying cause you can just stick it into your backpack/carry on.

My bad, I forgot that Marquette also sent kids to camp :)

and you could probably ask David on your team for advice. I think you guys have also sent other debaters to camp as well.

In addition, PSouth sent two debaters to camp. They would also be helpful.

Pens

Flow Paper

Laptop (with charger)

Tons of Condoms.

lol, you arent paperless

lol i went to the exact same lab at SNFI

last yr it was butler/schy/zavell, i heard itll be butler/sharp this year

judy <3 paper, bring a tub if you want

if you need to know anything tell me

Sending tubs by mail/air would cost a fortune due to their size and weight. My coach mentioned in years past for nationals, they've put the tubs on a greyhound and then flew down there and met the greyhound as it arrived in the city to get the tubs. I drove to camp last year so that's how I brought my tubs, but I actually ended up going paperless at camp.

laptop

flash drive

extension cords

a power strip

pens to write with (around 90 because your roommate/judges/partners/opponents will end up "borrowing" half of them)

pens to do speed drills with (try to make sure they "borrow" the used ones)

Do you find a partner at camp if your current partner isn't going?

What camps do is they partner you up with someone, usually in your lab, that's at about the same skill level as you. There are occasions where there's an odd number of people, but they always work it out. Because lab leaders are badass like that.

You can't choose one? Lab leaders match you?

Sometimes they let you have a preference sheet and then they decide, but in the end it is the lab leaders choice.

FYI, SNFI isn't a good camp if you want to get better. I went last year, and its chill and relaxed, but not much gets done. There are only 5 practice debates the whole tournament and you get too much free time. Next time choose UTNIF or UNT or Dartmouth or something.

Next time choose UTNIF or UNT or Dartmouth or something.

That^

and for what to bring. You probably shouldn't take more than what you can carry with you. Flow/pens/timer and a laptop would be the only necessities.

No way in hell will Butler let you go paperless, by the way. Bring a tub.

Defs true.

It was really annoying debating with paper at Stanford. Especially with making the switch to paperless this year - would've been so much easier.