Unico

Egypt Crisis?

What does everyone think about the events happening in Egypt right now? Do you think Obama needs to get involved, why or why not?

Aljazerra is doing a dy-no-mite job of covering it. Their interviewers have really raked some Egyptian government spokesmen over the coals.

I am astounded that no one is burning any US or Israeli effigies. I mean, even if the anti-US or anti Israel population is small, it is still too good an opportunity for any Anti US/Israeli faction to pass up.

I think that, because of the internet, more of the Egyptian population realizes that the US is not the bogeyman here. What concerns me is that after this revolution succeeds, it will inspire one in Saudi Arabia, where the next regime will be anti-US.

So here's a crazy thought. Maybe they're not burning effigies because the unrest has nothing to do with us, and is about Egyptians fighting for freedom for themselves from an oppressive regime that has subverted democracy for three decades! And your largest concern is that it will lead to the overthrow of the Saudis, which is important because they would be anti-US?

Not every event needs to be filtered through the lens of US power posturing.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Mubarak will have to cede some control and maybe even all of it with the knowledge that the Army isn't going to back him up.

This could make things in the ME very interesting. Have to thank Tunisia for this one.

I am curious to see how this will shake up the topic as well. Does our presence in the middle east have any sort of internal strain on the Egypt public?

I am curious to see how this will shake up the topic as well. Does our presence in the middle east have any sort of internal strain on the Egypt public?

Closest effect i can think of is any Israel expansion in the region, but that is a far stretch.It's more about our overall global strategy and diplomacy than a specific country or anything.

One of the people who run the3nr had an idea about a regime overthrow resolution, which I really liked. I think this shows why the education that resolution would provide is useful and is relevant.

MUST. ENGAGE. IN. MORE. COUNTER-INSURGENCY. What better way to spread hegemony and kill more turrurists!

coin=/=regime overthrow

Not every event needs to be filtered through the lens of US power posturing.

such a true statement. Pos rep.

For my dual credit English class I am having to write about revolution and respond to the following website:

http://www.ushistory.org/us/7.asp

As I write my paper, I springboard a lot of my thoughts from the Egypt revolution. And honestly, it has a lot that coincides with American history around the times of the American Revolution.

مصر حرة

Mubarak stepped down today. I think he pulled a fast one one the military last night (they had indicated before the speech that he was going to step down, and then we got... that) and they finally exerted the pressure necessary to bring him down.

The question is, where does it go from here?

Edited by Screech