Zachary

Emory

uhm why were there 21 judges?

That's how Emory works. There are a select group of "Key Coaches" who judge the finals, Brian posted the list above, there is more info on the JOT site

And the white people win again.

Though that post was probably made as a joke (which I laughed at), I think the exact opposite happened.

• Upvote 1

Most educational debate I think the BF has ever held as a finals round.

Proud as hell to be a part of it.

Proud as hell to share a spot light with Beacon.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Are there any results from the Pace RR out?

1. Gulliver AT - 10 ballots

2. Lexington CS - 9 ballots

3. College Prep PY - 8 ballots

1st spkr - Damiyr Davis (Beacon)

2nd spkr - Vinay Pai (College Prep)

3rd spkr - Miguel Feliciano (Beacon)

Congrats to Mountain Brook! Barkley Forum is now 49-3 in the final round (49 aff winners, 3 neg winners)

• Downvote 1

Congrats to Mountain Brook and Beacon! Also, to Beacon, you all probably know this, but just ignore people who are hating on you or calling you out/calling you inauthentic for random reasons. There is always jealousy and there are always people who enjoy bringing down others to bring themselves up, and, in the context of debate, they tend to come out anonymously and from the woodwork in cross-x results threads. Not even worth a response or second thought :)

• Downvote 2

ive sorta read through their arguments on the wiki, but can anyone here summarize what Beacon says on aff/neg i guess in lay-mens terms-if thats even possible,

The structure of debate is inherently exclusionary because of economic, institutional reasons that are a result of "whiteness" in debate. The resolution of military/police presence can serve as a way to investigate and interrogate the policing that goes on in debate and in America. Voting for them is advocating a new style of debate that is more inclusive and questions the racist past of America.

In lay terms that's the best I got.

@ Khirn

Only bashing I've seen is against us white people on this thread = P

I suspect Beacon has a pretty wide support on websites like this

• Upvote 1

Lol I can tell you for a fact that it's not. I mean sure it's a high performing public school but all our funding is cut. We can't afford printing paper lol :P

Siding with Eli here. Despite any sort of NCLB "benefits" or high achievement standards, public school funding in New York is pretty screwed. Albany is laying down the budget hammer pretty hard on extra circulars, especially debate.

EDIT: Neg Repper - Which round?

Edited by Mattythekid
  • Downvote 1

Congrats to both final teams. Beacon's accomplishments are truly amazing. You two should be damn proud of yourselves. Doing what you are doing now is larger than debate...the fact that a couple of high school kids can shake things up the way you have is inspiring to watch. I can only wait to see what happens when you are done liberating debate and move on to the rest of society. Mad Love...

I think the post on this forum prove how that round was less winning the judges as it was debating in front of the audience itself.

It was a win/win for Beacon in the end.

did anyone film our semis debate v. beacon, or the finals for that matter? if there's a way to share them online i would be ultra grateful

One of our coaches recorded the audio to semis on his iphone. I can try to see if I can post it or something.

Finals of Blake was also held during the Pace RR

Lexington CS d. Beacon DF; Phillips*, Randall, Hart