Sign in to follow this  
txag15

NCFL Nationals

It might be easier for them if they'd instead release a list of teams that did not qualify. I first heard of that league when I was a high school senior in the 1969-1970 school year. We were told that our "district" - which was our small state - was entitled to send three representatives in the policy debate category.

Only three schools entered teams in the qualification tournament. Each brought two, two man teams. Unbeknownst to us, the tournament director had arranged for the other two school to bring weak "B" teams so that all three "A" teams would be 4-0 after the first two rounds. They didn't need to tell us to do that because our varsity, second team was no threat to upset anybody.

Unfortunately, because we didn't know about the favor they were doing for us, we designated our weaker team to be our "A" team and our stronger to be our "B" team. You should have seen the looks on our first opponent's faces when we entered the room!

At this rinky-dink little qualification tournament, our first round opponent, instead of being the patsy team we were supposed to be facing, was a very strong team that included David Berube, who needs no further introduction, and our second round opponent included the son of a former national collegiate Coach of the Year.

Fortunately, all three of us qualified as planned, but we couldn't raise the money to go to the national tournament.

A decade later I met a high school debater who was unexceptional and he told me he had participated in the NCFL tournament. I recently visited their web site and saw that their policy debate tournament has a field of over 200 teams, and that over 5,000 total students compete in all the various categories. It looks to me like it is about as exclusive as summer break.

Edited by CouldaBeenaContenda

If you check out threads after qualifiers, there is normally an attempt to post Diocesean qualifers made on an individual basis from each Diocesean league.

Coulda: Actually, the policy field has been about 150 over recent years, and the number of kids taking part is closer to 3,500 than 5,000. But you still must qualify out of your Diocese. Qualifying limits are aportioned to each Diocese based on the number of schools in each League. For instance, the Diocese of Arlington is afforded 6 slots per event, while a smaller League might only get 3. 6 is the maximum you can send in each event. Last year, in Omaha, schools from 57 Diocesian Leauges took part in the tournament. NCFL is now a truly national tournament, with teams coming last year from Washington (Seattle), Alaska (Anchorage), and California.

While I do not have the 1970 booklet, the 1969 tournament booklet lists schools from 34 Dioceses taking part in the tournament, so there has definitely been growth in the field. The 1974 booklet lists 37 Dioceses taking part. The addition of PF expanded the tournament as well, adding about 225 teams or 450 kids to the tournament. (It may be worth noting that in 1962, schools from 24 Diocesean Leagues took part in the tournament, so it is clear that NCFL is experiencing steady growth decade-by-decade.)

ON a side note - WACFL is collecting NCFL Tournament booklets for use this year at the NCFL Tournament (the 60th Anniversary tournament). We have 1962, 1969, 1974, 1975, 1976, 1978, 1979, and all of the booklets from the 80', 90', and 2000 on. If anyone can fill in 1955-1961, 1963-1968, 70-73, or 77, I'd love to hear from you.

Duane

Edited by hylanddd

Coulda: Actually, the policy field has been about 150 over recent years, and the number of kids taking part is closer to 3,500 than 5,000.

And every year, I have fewer neurons to work with than I did the year before. I now see that when I had previously "observed" that the policy debate field was typically well over 200 contestants, I was actually just taking the highest team number as the size of the field, when in fact, the lowest numbered entrant is assigned 101.

But you still must qualify out of your Diocese. Qualifying limits are aportioned to each Diocese based on the number of schools in each League. For instance, the Diocese of Arlington is afforded 6 slots per event, while a smaller League might only get 3.

The only three participating schools were Bishop Guertin, Bishop Bradley and us (Dover High), and all are in New Hampshire, so I had incorretly assumed that New Hampshire was the district for which this qualification tournament was being held. It still puzzles me that Massachusetts powerhouse schools such as Catholic Memorial, St Johns Prep and Boston College High did not attend. I believe that the Amherst (Massachusetts) High School team featuring Sandy Darrity, whose name has been mentioned elsewhere in these forums, made it to the finals of the NFL Tournament that year.

"Felix! Felix! What happens when you assume?"

...I do not have the 1970 booklet... WACFL is collecting NCFL Tournament booklets for use this year at the NCFL Tournament (the 60th Anniversary tournament). We have 1962, 1969, 1974, 1975, 1976, 1978, 1979, and all of the booklets from the 80', 90', and 2000 on. If anyone can fill in 1955-1961, 1963-1968, 70-73, or 77, I'd love to hear from you.

Someone who debated in New England once told me that the winner of the 1970 tournament was Xavier of Connecticut. If you do a search for Everett Rutan, I think he is still involved in Connecticut debate and may be able to furnish you with a 1970 booklet.

Edited by CouldaBeenaContenda

Hey, thanks for that information, I will see if mr. Rutan is out there and if he can help! NCFL is its own tourney, that's for sure, but a really good one!

Does NCFL release a team list of those that have qualified to nationals?

If you wanted to compile a list, I could tell you the Kansas qualifiers.

Kansas City, KS CFL

Blue Valley Southwest --- Arney/Marine

Blue Valley West --- Birzer/Saiedian

Blue Valley West --- Oatman/Richey

Shawnee Mission East --- Carey/Hill

Shawnee Mission East --- Kenney/Towster

St. Thomas Aquinas --- Bernard/Gress

Wichita, KS CFL

Buhler --- Boor/Steffen

Buhler --- Honeycutt/Janzen

El Dorado --- Fowler/Provo

Hutchinson --- Blake/Torrez