Sign in to follow this  
Beastwick

Bataille

I created a new thread for those who wanted Bataille.

THere's multiple levels of Bataillen thought but most will have to do with death. Not even necessarily in the literal sense but in ideological death...He does this in a few ways but the most common almost always has to do with opening oneself. His metaphors for this is synonomous with sacrifice -- that one ought to continously "destroy" oneself to make life worth living and to stave away corruption. (if you need a reference to this check out our use of Bataille in our Van Gogh argument...). Another thing that Bataille was obsessed with was extasy. But he did this in non-traditional ways. Glorious Expendature -- enjoyment absent form or mode, meaning absent this sort of structure that attempts to put things to work (that's a phrase that he'll use a lot..just means that managing things is bad because it disrupts its worth and often leads to 'bad' forms of violence, contrary to good forms of violence, such as pain, emotion, falling and criticism.). He believed that enabling and embracing a sort of destruction allowed us to see life for not only what it is but also its worth.

Idk id like to think that i know some Bataille...that's just a general intro...and my 2 cents -damattster007

Feel free to continue the discussion here.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I am interested in running this K, but want to read some of the lit first. What readings are recommended for a good understanding of Bataille?

I am interested in running this K, but want to read some of the lit first. What readings are recommended for a good understanding of Bataille?

Don't.

visions of excess, story of the eye, the accursed share, the solar anus, blue moon and theory of religion is a good starting point... also look into alan stokel"s works about bataille

I am interested in running this K

LOL-.jpg?imageSize=Medium&generatorName=lol-guy

Bataille K makes me giggle. I'm not one to talk with any authority [i'm in first year of debate, a mere 8th grader ;_;], but I'd suggest not running it, as it's kinda stupid. It legitimately states that we shouldn't worry or care about ANYTHING. ._______.

I'm a novice, so I'm not the best person to answer this stuff, but I think "To witness the Spectacle of Pain: The Hypermorality of Georges Bataille" by Kenneth Itzkowitz could be pretty good to read if you're running Bataille.

• Downvote 1

Bataille K makes me giggle. I'm not one to talk with any authority [i'm in first year of debate, a mere 8th grader ;_;], but I'd suggest not running it, as it's kinda stupid. It legitimately states that we shouldn't worry or care about ANYTHING. ._______.

I'm a novice, so I'm not the best person to answer this stuff, but I think "To witness the Spectacle of Pain: The Hypermorality of Georges Bataille" by Kenneth Itzkowitz could be pretty good to read if you're running Bataille.

lol, is that what you really think? i could spend days disproving everything you just said and tell you your wrong but i'll try to sum it up in this one statement... the philosophy is mainly about expressing yourself as a means of preserving your own value to life. no it doesn't say that we shouldn't worry or care about anything, it is about finding your own personal justifications for doing it... but your right about not knowing much about this.

lolwhat?

Bataille definately does not say that we should not care about anything, but in fact just the opposite. His entire literature base talks about how we ought to care about the things often ignored in the face of tragedy or fear or morality. Things like enjoyment, extasy, growth and even life itelf...just because Bataille said that things like predictions of the future are impossible to predict and fascist beacue it attempts to perfectly map out how things ought to happen does not mean he advocates doing nothing or not caring about anything.

Further, Bataille is pretty amazing and unique, and is a pretty legit argument and has won us plenty of rounds.

Kay thanx bye

Edited by mattcasas

Wait what

OH

See, this just proves how stupid I am. If I'm still totally wrong, correct, me, but I think that I just mixed Bataille and Baudrillard up. :f

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Wait what

OH

See, this just proves how stupid I am. If I'm still totally wrong, correct, me, but I think that I just mixed Bataille and Baudrillard up. :f

Lol maybe. Boudrillard says some stuff but doesn't usually provide an alternative. That still doesn't mean that he doesn't think that you shouldnt care about some things...like he thinks that the War On Terror is fucked up, also warmongering...so he himself probably cares about stuff...so he probly isn't like "don't care 'bout nothin', pals"

To anyone who's not familiar with his stuff and just looking to cut answers:

DO NOT Google search Solar Anus. There is a picture of a man with a sword IN HIS ANUS with a sun tattoo around the sword. I think it was Lady MacBeth who said "What is seen cannot be unseen."

• Upvote 2

Read millard south's wiki. Although you'll have to wade through about 6 minutes of random analogies, some of his underlying premises are there.

Lol maybe. Boudrillard says some stuff but doesn't usually provide an alternative. That still doesn't mean that he doesn't think that you shouldnt care about some things...like he thinks that the War On Terror is fucked up, also warmongering...so he himself probably cares about stuff...so he probly isn't like "don't care 'bout nothin', pals"

Baudrillard does not provide alternatives, but is always, immanently, implicitly and constantly promoting a strategy for dealing with the things he describes.

Also to others, while he does make claims about how "we shouldnt care about anything" this is part of a strategy to show how those that constantly claim "we should care about things!" are the true cynics. Once understood baudrillard's strategy is in fact one that affirms life.

Edited by Lemur

I read 'the Story of the Eye' by Bataille. George Bataille is one of the most f***ed up individuals in the history of philosophy. Did someone say there were 8th graders reading Bataille?

Yikes.

Edited by Hephaestus

I don't have the Story of the Eye any more. Pretty lurid stuff as I recall.

Story of the Eye was pretty great piece of literature. It's up there with The Anarchist Cookbook and the Catcher in the Rye and Cat's Cradle...

Story of the Eye was pretty great piece of literature. It's up there with The Anarchist Cookbook and the Catcher in the Rye and Cat's Cradle...

And "Cat in the Hat."

• Upvote 1

To anyone who's not familiar with his stuff and just looking to cut answers:

DO NOT Google search Solar Anus. There is a picture of a man with a sword IN HIS ANUS with a sun tattoo around the sword. I think it was Lady MacBeth who said "What is seen cannot be unseen."

millard south apologizes if while researching strats for our stuff you came across this...we will however admit that it is kinda funny

• Upvote 1

I read 'the Story of the Eye' by Bataille. George Bataille is one of the most f***ed up individuals in the history of philosophy. Did someone say there were 8th graders reading Bataille?

Yikes.

oops just don't tell our administrators lol jk they already think we're fucked up after they watched us go over a lecture on non human coupling ;)

so does the K operate through fiat and just say even if we die it's better than living a shitty life, but their way of life ends in extinction anyway?

not exactly it is more of a rejection of fiat to show that we need to ground these discussions in the world we are currently living in rather than a new world we create in a debate round

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

not exactly it is more of a rejection of fiat to show that we need to ground these discussions in the world we are currently living in rather than a new world we create in a debate round

OK, so is this where Bataille's criticism of international relations come into effect, ie The aff focuses on the benefits of hege but ignores the benefits we the debaters have?