Sign in to follow this  
robllawrence

Anyone remember blue-green lasers?

Back in 91 when a similar topic was being debated, one of the cases that was wildly untopical was blue green lasers. It didn't get far, because it wasn't exploration. However, with the wording of the topic including development, I think it might be viable now.

As I recall, the story was that blue green lasers from space would allow direct constant communication with submarines. Currently, they come up to receive periodic communication and the rest of the time, they are unreachable. This creates a risk of miscalculation scenarios for launch, because if they don't hear anything when they surface, they assume the worst. It's possible technology has made this obsolete in the last 20 years, but it's worth a look.

Mmm...Low cost, bad ass military implications, cool stuff like anti-submarine warfare and fairly high risk nuclear scenarios....sounds like a pretty good case.

Back in 91 when a similar topic was being debated, one of the cases that was wildly untopical was blue green lasers. It didn't get far, because it wasn't exploration. However, with the wording of the topic including development, I think it might be viable now.

As I recall, the story was that blue green lasers from space would allow direct constant communication with submarines. Currently, they come up to receive periodic communication and the rest of the time, they are unreachable. This creates a risk of miscalculation scenarios for launch, because if they don't hear anything when they surface, they assume the worst. It's possible technology has made this obsolete in the last 20 years, but it's worth a look.

'91 was before I was born, but it sounds interesting does anyone have a 1AC that they could upload?

I don't, sorry. But I was doing some quick research and found a few passing comments about using blue green laser systems for submarine detection as well. This would make SURTASS (or Low Frequency Active Sonar) obsolete. Anyone who has heard that case knows the impacts on ocean life (whales, dolphins, anything that uses sonar) are pretty immense.

This would be a nice advantage OTHER than miscalc, heg, ASW type impacts.

http://www.behindbluelines.com/2009/07/22/what-is-state-of-the-art-in-submarine-detection/

Sign in to follow this