birdman

K ground

Nietzsche and Cap

How original.

But seriously, this next year is going to turn into a cap hack's wet dream and a rational debater's worst nightmare. Heidegger, Nietzsche and Zizek/cap are going to be running rampant. Please, for the love of Flying Spaghetti Monster, someone needs to come up with an original K for next year.

could sumone explain to me how to answer the doubling kritik, Heidegger, Schopenhauer, and Zizek?? please..

could sumone explain to me how to answer the doubling kritik, Heidegger, Schopenhauer, and Zizek?? please..

Make a separate thread for this on the K board. Don't side-track this thread with questions that don't directly relate to K ground on the space topic.

Please, for the love of Flying Spaghetti Monster, someone needs to come up with an original K for next year.

Well, I know my favorite affirmative deont impact is going to be the moral obligation to explore. Maybe some kind of critique of manifest destiny? Like colonialism or imperialism, except a more specific critique of a certain kind of attitude towards the unexplored as presenting a unique responsibility, rather than implying the domination of others (who we are almost certainly not going to find near enough to us to dominate according to any probable values of the free variables Drake Equation).

Response: I think I'd probably just extend case and get into a massive card war Space exploration demands existential humility (Sagan 94)! Discovery of extra-terrestrial life revolutionizes human conceptions of the universe (every sci fi author ever)! Space exploration is our cosmic destiny! The warrants may be thin, but the rhetoric will be AWESOME.

Also, a critique of tech focusing on the infinite deferment of our moral obligation to help others - "tomorrow we'll have the technology, just wait and see." This could probably be meaningfully and contextually extracted from literature critical of post-humanism and futurism, incorporating stuff about the Digital Divide and critical of the concentrated ownership of capital (but not primarily focusing on it). On this interpretation, space is just the latest and greatest in a series of great experiments that were supposed to save humanity but ultimately just ended up redistributing wealth and resources and especially power to a select few.

Response: A hell of a lot more people have internet access now than did 50 years ago (that is to say, all of them) and the majority of new internet users are not in the upper class. Even if relative inequality persists, absolute living standards (length of life, lower child mortality rates, etc) continue rising inexorably upwards for most of the globe. While probably true, this response won't be too hard to beat back in CX-world because everyone's so skeptical of cap and the K lit reads really well.

Obviously, on the more militaristic affs a straight-up militarism K is going to have better impacts and links, but for more benign-seeming affs that use a national space agency you could do a critique of power-posturing and "national greatness"-fostering tech initiatives. A K of nationalism and patriotism would be easy to cut (just get some critical history guy ranting about the space race) and the internal links would be phenomenal (war, genocide, etc).

Response: You'd have to beat back some pretty good defensive arguments that economic or scientific competition is significantly less nationalistic now (ISS, OST, etc). Also, that it's at least a healthier way of competing than bombing dudes (which I think is probably true).

• Downvote 1

Well, I know my favorite affirmative deont impact is going to be the moral obligation to explore. Maybe some kind of critique of manifest destiny? Like colonialism or imperialism, except a more specific critique of a certain kind of attitude towards the unexplored as presenting a unique responsibility, rather than implying the domination of others (who we are almost certainly not going to find near enough to us to dominate according to any probable values of the free variables Drake Equation).

Response: I think I'd probably just extend case and get into a massive card war Space exploration demands existential humility (Sagan 94)! Discovery of extra-terrestrial life revolutionizes human conceptions of the universe (every sci fi author ever)! Space exploration is our cosmic destiny! The warrants may be thin, but the rhetoric will be AWESOME.

This is one of the reasons why I wish I could debate this topic. I, personally, am fond of exploration and would love to engage someone in a card war about how securing the frontier is absolutely necessary for humankind. I don't have any authors in mind at the moment (because I was never in purely kritikal rounds), but I'm glad you took the time to post this.

Dude, I hope I get to hear a debate like this in my lifetime. Space (aside from black holes and gamma ray bursts) is so romantic.

I don't have any authors in mind at the moment

Well, Dolman's (Astropolitik)discussion of geopolitics talks about the sociological importance of the frontier to the development of communities (to cite a cliche: "go West, young [wo]man"), and he cites some classical geopolitics authors that may be of interest. Carl Sagan in Pale Blue Dot and Billions and Billions would be a great aff author, as would many professional astronomers, astrophysicists, and members of space exploration programs, both public and private. There's probably an entire discourse community of futurists out there talking about space exploration, what effect it will have on humankind, and the best way to implement it.

I'm also extremely excited and may cut cards just for fun on next year's topic.

I'm feeling an Empire K. I'll cut some Hardt and Negri...some Spanos...even though there are a million Empire Ks out now there is always something uniquely satisfying about cutting your own .

I'm not sure if I've already said this but I want to see if I can cut a link from the Bostrom cards to reproductive futurism / edelman.

Nobody's mentioned deep eco yet?

The desire to colonize space is obviously just a new phase in humanity's quest to conquer nature.

Nobody's mentioned deep eco yet?

The desire to colonize space is obviously just a new phase in humanity's quest to conquer nature.

This.

Edelman might be a good way to answer the "future generations" argument.

This.

Edelman might be a good way to answer the "future generations" argument.

Turn: radiation in space kills babies.

FUCK BABIES.

Or just Baby Saad.

I only finished my second year of debate, and im a 2A....but I was thinking of critique like manifest destiny. Like our human obsession with going beyond and controlling everything out there. (not so much space colonialism, more like our human neccessity is to control everything tangible, we must taint it with the human mark in some form or fashion) the impact is like recreation of problems here on earth. Until we look to solving the daily problems that plague our earth today (famine, war, poverty, etc.) we will just continue to multiply these problems elsewhere until we fuck up everything in the universe. the alt is to like shift our thinking and axis back to events on earth. the aff is a stepping stone to our human obsession with control over everything in existence.

thoughts? im relatively new and i don't cut much k stuff so what kind of authors or cites should i start with? can we expect a couple of camps to put this out next year?

• Downvote 1

Floating PIK

Also, is it possible to "fuck things up" in the rest of the universe? Wouldn't the neg be arguing there's nothing else in space, we should instead focus on problems here instead of, not before we go into space?

lolgetongchat fool

Also, duh Nietzsche. The aff is literally trying to escape the world we live in for a better one.

Wouldn't that be an answer to Nietzsche? I mean trying to escape this world for a new one world tend to led one to believe that our current life sucks?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

it's going to be interesting to see how DnG plays out. You do you think the links could function under the res?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

the master file I'm working for D/G has links for

militarism

science

technology

security

environment

capitalism

(amongst others), which can all link for this topic.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Wouldn't that be an answer to Nietzsche? I mean trying to escape this world for a new one world tend to led one to believe that our current life sucks?

Oh boy now all the South sophomores are on cross-x!

And that's the link to Nietzsche, not an answer - the aff doesn't like the world on earth, so they're trying to find a new one that's better by literally leaving this world.

• Upvote 1

Guise I put together this really sick new K--

It's called "the politics" K

PM if you're interested. ;D