nathan_debate

Best Critique(s) of Debate?

Bad Models for Political Change (its kind of a Glass Bead Game). Certainly not one of the best critiques of policy debate, but it seems odd that the complexity at which we understand the political process doesn't go much beyond the complexity of the ABC After School special "Bill on Capital Hill" model of social and political change. (if this wasn't true we wouldn't have disads like politics to begin with--interest groups effect politics and is incredibly important but doesn't help us get any closer to effective social change. Its a nice FYI)

Admitedly, some critical alternatives offer end runs to this...but generally thats limited. I can count the number of nuanced and practical critical alternatives on one hand (maybe two). Most are too general or esoteric to have "real" political meaning.

There are some debaters from my school who want to run Freire. In Missouri. Does this even have legitimacy on the Nat circuit, cause I know it doesn't here.

Quitting debate and explaining to your friends why you did. Anything short of that is either insincere (you're doing it to win a round) or will fail (others will want to understand it so they can beat it, but you won't change the system).

• Downvote 1

Quitting debate and explaining to your friends why you did. Anything short of that is either insincere (you're doing it to win a round) or will fail (others will want to understand it so they can beat it, but you won't change the system).

The best way to critique debate is to critique debate. In whatever way debate seems problematic to you, then you can criticize that aspect of debate. Debaters start running critiques in the 90s, and yes debate did absorb these arguments, but it also changed the way most everyone prepares for and views debate as an activity, and sometimes in turn views the world. Pragmatism ftw. Also, why would someone want to take down debate?

Edited by JackGugino

I agree in some regard with Jack, for instance there are feminists who critique feminism...and marxists who critique marxism....

I think the love it or leave it....or even our policy debate or no policy debate dualism(s) aren't necessarily helpful. (even if they help win ballots & shape decisions)

Although, it is the case that the nature of the critique of policy debate from the race perspective seems to entirely deny the grounds of policy debate. I'm not saying they should leave....just that they shouldn't expect to have W's.

Also, your ticket to inclusion is that you got to tell your story. Your framework should also have specific reasons why your story specifically is important (not just race/imperialism bad). Otherwise you're just re-ifying the black/white dicotomy.

Also, I don't imagine they offer a meta-framework to compare two competing intellectuals (especially given them presumed rejection of rationality, reason, and truth).

More importantly, inclusion of race perspectives doesn't have to be polarizing. Doctor Dre and Dead Prez and Too Short and Dougie Fresh don't deserve to run the PTA much less government.

Edited by nathan_debate

Although, it is the case that the nature of the critique of policy debate from the race perspective seems to entirely deny the grounds of policy debate. I'm not saying they should leave....just that they shouldn't expect to have W's.

What is policy debate to you? Why shouldn't people who critique the whiteness of traditional policy debate expect ballots?

Also, your ticket to inclusion is that you got to tell your story. Your framework should also have specific reasons why your story specifically is important (not just race/imperialism bad). Otherwise you're just re-ifying the black/white dicotomy.

So your story has to be outside of race even though your experiences and identity may well be shaped by race? Seems like a pretty narrow list of folk who get to tell their personal stories. This also seems to be the worst and lamest form of identity politics, just some whack bowl-of-fruit-loops style, basket of personal narratives form of non-politics that occludes structural analysis in favor of how we each feel individually. That seems infinitely more debilitating for the purposes of decision-making/evaluation. Also what does reifying the black/white dichotomy mean? Whenever I hear people say "you're perpetuating the black/white dichotomy!" I feel like 9 times out of 10 they're shooting the messenger. "Some dudes in white hoods who were white just lynched a black dude after calling him the n-word" "WOAH WOAH WOAH!! Black!? White!? Stop reifying the black/white binary paradigm man! I read an article by Perea on that once!"

Also, I don't imagine they offer a meta-framework to compare two competing intellectuals (especially given them presumed rejection of rationality, reason, and truth).

What? Maybe instead of race you meant radically postmodern or something, but I'm troubled by your assumption that when talking about race there's a presumed rejection of rationality, reason and truth.

More importantly, inclusion of race perspectives doesn't have to be polarizing. Doctor Dre and Dead Prez and Too Short and Dougie Fresh don't deserve to run the PTA much less government.

It's a little silly you throw Dead Prez into the mix because they don't believe there should be a government, but I think M-1 and stic.man would make pretty ill PTA members given their level of community activism. Why do you think these folk should be excluded from political participation?

• Upvote 3