Sign in to follow this  
kansas.debate

2010-11 KS Caselist

Micheal's probably trolling.

Nope, there's a legit reason. Don't worry, he'll eventually see it if he ever comes down off of his high horse.

I honestly think that the case list should be open to anybody and I;m not really the type of person to make definitive judgments about people's debating skills. Everyone is excelling and getting better all the time so someone that is good one day may be bad another and someone that is considered not very talented can become great

I honestly think that the case list should be open to anybody and I;m not really the type of person to make definitive judgments about people's debating skills. Everyone is excelling and getting better all the time so someone that is good one day may be bad another and someone that is considered not very talented can become great

Not where I was going with this, but sure, everyone has the right to their bits and bites of the interwebz.

Well, almost everyone.

Again, larger schools are always going to have the advantage in this area. We take an average of 3-5 teams to one tournament a weekend.

I'm wondering how many people go to your school? Couldn't your lack of debaters be due to a disinterest in debate?

I'm wondering how many people go to your school? Couldn't your lack of debaters be due to a disinterest in debate?

500 people, 23 people on the squad (round to 25 for ease of math) = 5% of students. That's kind of the largest our squad can really get; we only have one debate class and one coach. Any more and we wouldn't be able to get everyone out to enough tournaments.

EDIT: Posting cites. Starting with just 1AC's/1NC's and working from there. I was momentarily tiffed because I noticed that Rose Hill obviously didn't make it onto the radar of whomever made the wiki. Only good teams, apparently.

Edited by mdawgig

Newton and Rose Hill have now posted on the Case List. Good job guys!

I'm attempting to post the Buddhism aff I broke at Newton, but it keeps freezing and crashing the tab... This somehow seems ironic.

I'm attempting to post the Buddhism aff I broke at Newton, but it keeps freezing and crashing the tab... This somehow seems ironic.

it's cool dude. the fact that you are posting on the caselist is enough for me!

Especially before NFL? Have you been to that tournament? its pretty lay

That does not mean that people cant prepare and be strategic.

I know it wouldn't be any sort of incentive for those who are absolutely against disclosing, but what about some sort of informal (or, hell, it's as formal as it's gonna get) award given to whoever sets the best disclosure standards on the KS wiki at the end of the season (well, after state). Like, whoever discloses the most pertinent information, has the best formatted wiki, updates frequently, etc.

?

I know it wouldn't be any sort of incentive for those who are absolutely against disclosing, but what about some sort of informal (or, hell, it's as formal as it's gonna get) award given to whoever sets the best disclosure standards on the KS wiki at the end of the season (well, after state). Like, whoever discloses the most pertinent information, has the best formatted wiki, updates frequently, etc.

?

Um... That would be you Michael. And that wouldn't increase postings on the caselist because an award like that isn't really worth anything. Sorry...

Um... That would be you Michael. And that wouldn't increase postings on the caselist because an award like that isn't really worth anything. Sorry...

Neither was the 3NR's "Spirit of Disclosure" award or whatever, but it got one squad to post full text of their evidence. The point is that it's the community recognizing those who advance the activity, even if it's immaterial.

Also, what does that bolded part mean?

Neither was the 3NR's "Spirit of Disclosure" award or whatever, but it got one squad to post full text of their evidence. The point is that it's the community recognizing those who advance the activity, even if it's immaterial.

Also, what does that bolded part mean?

Well considering you posted like four affs there, when most people don't really post stuff, you would get the award.

The lack of responsiveness in your "responses" is incredible, especially coming from ex-debaters/coaches. Although I think I can identify the reason-you can't argue with truth and that's all I've been advocating. I still don't see an answer to much of what I think is the crux of the reason I think caselists are good. It seems to me there are underlying prejudices that cloud people's opinion of the utility of the caselist and disclosure. The resistance to the caselist is rooted in resistance to the progressive kind of debate you believe it represents. This is evident in your arguments about coaching, large vs small schools, scouting, and such. We'll never be able to instigate these material changes in the Kansas debate community until there is an attitude shift. It may appear to some that the attitude is changing, that we're becoming more accepting of a different style of debate; but threads like this and recent DCI events expose the real prejudices that still exist and are a massive impediment to any kind of change we seek.

peace OUT.

• Downvote 2

The lack of responsiveness in your "responses" is incredible, especially coming from ex-debaters/coaches. Although I think I can identify the reason-you can't argue with truth and that's all I've been advocating. I still don't see an answer to much of what I think is the crux of the reason I think caselists are good. It seems to me there are underlying prejudices that cloud people's opinion of the utility of the caselist and disclosure. The resistance to the caselist is rooted in resistance to the progressive kind of debate you believe it represents. This is evident in your arguments about coaching, large vs small schools, scouting, and such. We'll never be able to instigate these material changes in the Kansas debate community until there is an attitude shift. It may appear to some that the attitude is changing, that we're becoming more accepting of a different style of debate; but threads like this and recent DCI events expose the real prejudices that still exist and are a massive impediment to any kind of change we seek.

peace OUT.

What DCI events?

peace OUT.

What DCI events?

Is this about the fact that being from a particular school has become a totally acceptable RFD?

peace OUT.

WORD

Without a caselist how can I be fully prepared to hit the Okinawa case everyone runs?!?!? The broad nature of this topic NECESSITATES a caselist. Without a caselist... Kansas debate will die. Same goes for if we can't go to the T.O.C. Oh and lay judges too. When is the funeral for Kansas debate??

Is this about the fact that being from a particular school has become a totally acceptable RFD?

I dont know, i was wondering what was meant when she said the issues with DCI. so some judges are voting based on what school you go to?

Without a caselist how can I be fully prepared to hit the Okinawa case everyone runs?!?!? The broad nature of this topic NECESSITATES a caselist. Without a caselist... Kansas debate will die. Same goes for if we can't go to the T.O.C. Oh and lay judges too. When is the funeral for Kansas debate??

You're a pretty cool lil guy