Sign in to follow this  
deskboy04

Kansas must be doing something right

Does west kansas non-nfl small schools that do nothing but whiney arguments and don't know what the flow is or how to structure a case, count as debaters?

Edited by TylerB
  • Downvote 4

Does west kansas non-nfl small schools that do nothing but whiney arguments and don't know what the flow is or what camp files is or how to structure a case, count as debaters?

If you don't know what a camp file is and aren't in the NFL you CLEARLY can't call yourself a debater. Who do those western Kansas kids think they are anyway, I mean does it really even count as Kansas?

Haha, when they basically praise you for having 4 boxes of evidence and treat you for gods for 15 minutes after the round compared to their three three ring binders of evidence, they can't call themselves a debater, but knowing you lost the round despite all of that and even telling them that to where they nearly faint cause the best team they have ever seen has just told them that they beat them kinda sucks. And when you actually do get beat by them because the judge thinks that they know everything and uses their own personal bias to make the final decision isn't a good feeling. Especially when they ask questions in c-x like, where did you make your evidence, when it clearly has camp names on it, what font did you use, and what size is it, just to fill time means that they aren't good debaters or debaters at all.

I can't tell if this is intended as sarcasm, but it is highly inappropriate. Just because someone does not conform to your conception as a debater does not mean the are not a debater. I have no idea who you are so I am seriously doubting that you are some sort of shining star. Please do not hate on other debaters. It fosters a negative aura in the community and no one needs it.

Go cut some cards!

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

Does west kansas non-nfl small schools that do nothing but whiney arguments and don't know what the flow is or how to structure a case, count as debaters?

Haha, when they basically praise you for having 4 boxes of evidence and treat you for gods for 15 minutes after the round compared to their three three ring binders of evidence, they can't call themselves a debater, but knowing you lost the round despite all of that and even telling them that to where they nearly faint cause the best team they have ever seen has just told them that they beat them kinda sucks. And when you actually do get beat by them because the judge thinks that they know everything and uses their own personal bias to make the final decision isn't a good feeling. Especially when they ask questions in c-x like, where did you make your evidence, when it clearly has camp names on it, what font did you use, and what size is it, just to fill time means that they aren't good debaters or debaters at all.

Ok, Tyler, I know you well enough to know that you're probably joking... but you're still a douche. Those schools come from an area where debate isn't as important to their school as it is at the Shawnee Mission/Blue Valley schools. Plus, as a whole the schools don't have nearly enough money to sustain the speed-style national-circuit teams that you seem to be so smitten with. The camps to break into that style are $1000+, and most people in west KS have less money than their Johnson County counterparts.

Believe it or not, Tyler, not every school has a dozen assistant coaches, the ability to travel to every tourney they want, and the funds to subscribe to Planet Debate. Just because you've had the ability to go to KCKCC and WaRu every year (afford the hotel rooms, higher entry fees for KCKCC, etc), doesn't mean everyone else can.

If they find success and happiness reading their simplified F-SPEC arguments out of three-ring binders, let them do that. Don't complain because you can't adapt to the judge in the back of the room just because they don't know what a K is and they don't want to hear "Perm, do the CP."

Also, Rose Hill isn't in NFL. Douche.

Off topic but is there a reason Rose Hill isn't in NFL? I didn't know you guys weren't and I'm just curious.

Off topic but is there a reason Rose Hill isn't in NFL? I didn't know you guys weren't and I'm just curious.

We don't, um, have any money?

Obviously, I don't know the specific reasoning behind Rose Hill... but NFL costs $$. Quite a bit of it actually, on both the local and national level (entry and membership fees). Then, if your school actually makes it to nationals, you have to pay for the trip.

Sometimes I question where all the NFL money goes (on the national level)... especially when the leadership does really dumb things (see the recent PFD drama). CFL puts on a great tournament with WAY less, and WITHOUT every third word at the awards assembly being "sponsored by".

Edited by t-money

However CFL puts their tournament in very expensive citys that smaller schools have problems paying for.

However CFL puts their tournament in very expensive citys that smaller schools have problems paying for.

I wouldn't call DC and Baltimore expensive cities.

• Upvote 1

Just a gentle reminder that it's possible that some "west kansas non-nfl small school" coaches or students might be reading this forum. And you may encounter some of the coaches as judges.

Even the folks with the 3-ring binders and f-specs are, just by being exposed to the activity, learning some critical thinking and speaking skills.

IMHO, anyone who TRIES our activity deserves respect.

Gail Stucky

Moundridge Debate & Forensics

• Upvote 1

I don't even know what this means.

Omaha, Albany, Appleton Wisconsin, Houston? These are expensive cities?

Also, you do realize that the CFL tournament is like 1/3 as long...

DEAR CFLS,

PLZ PICK CHEAPER CITIES

KTHX

Edited by t-money

I apologize for my outbursts regarding smaller schools, they were highly inappropriate remarks. Please forgive me debate community, this won't happen again.

• Downvote 1

which tyler is this? are there two tylers at Newton?

Huh? I was just assuming that Tyler was being ironic. So he actually meant it? Does this mean that Ciera meant it too?

Can somebody give me a copy of the official Enemies List? At this point I no longer know who is an adorable scamp making provocative comments just to stir the pot, and who is actually evil.

• Downvote 1

Well I was just venting about a round I had, it actually happened. Didn't mean for it to come off as bad as it did and I realize that I should of just been silent.

lol, I love how being a member of NFL was included in this rant

which tyler is this? are there two tylers at Newton?

I'm thinking this may be sarcasm but just in case... There are two, Tyler Brotton (the poster) and Tyler Prochazka (the cooler of the two).

Um... Michael, not sarcasm either. None of it was. But, however, it wasn't the right place to vent, I realize that.

I don't even know what this means.

Omaha, Albany, Appleton Wisconsin, Houston? These are expensive cities?

Also, you do realize that the CFL tournament is like 1/3 as long...

DEAR CFLS,

PLZ PICK CHEAPER CITIES

KTHX

I was mainly talking about D.C.

Is it still OK to feel good about Kansas debate? I was hoping we would say nice things about each other for a change. Sorry Deskboy. We tried.

Some of you do know me. Some of you I know or I know who you are. I sure hope I meet some of you in person really soon. I always seem to learn more than I teach. Good luck to all!

P.S. there was no sarcasm in this post anywhere. It seems even STADB9 isn't sure anymore so I wanted to be blunt.

I will now return to fading away...

Well I was just venting about a round I had, it actually happened. Didn't mean for it to come off as bad as it did and I realize that I should of just been silent.

Tyler, stop posting. I have not been on here in a while and behalf of my team, I would officially like to apologize....Funny how "small school" style debate eludes you Tyler. Rather than "small school", we should call it "real world" style debate. Oh and everyone at KCKCC this weekend, please check all of Tyler B's boxes to see what is actually in them...LOL. Good Luck Tyler. I think you will get your fill of contemporary style this weekend.

• Downvote 1

Good Luck Tyler. I think you will get your fill of contemporary style this weekend.

With Millard South running Guernica and self mutilation affs thats pretty much guaranteed