Ryan Marcus

Automatic evidence cutter

I prefer the experience of cutting cards on good DAs vs. the experience of cutting cards for politics.

@ Ryan

Yes. I'm basically hoping that you are magic.

Well, good suggestion -- if you've got anything more specific floating around in your head, let me know. Right now I'm thinking of letting the user enter a Google News search, showing a list of article headers, letting you decide which ones should be cut and which ones shouldn't, and then asking you to assign a tagline to each article. Hopefully from there I'll spit out a file of some kind.

Thanks,

Ryan Marcus

• Downvote 1

why do I keep getting this message:

"ERROR: WARRANT NOT FOUND"

I think something is wrong with your program.

• Upvote 1

Ryan,

Did you look at the algorythm for the summarizer on the Safari browser. I'm not sure if its accessible, but it might yield some helpful insight on picking the most important insight from a passage.

Impressive.

• Upvote 1

Ryan,

Did you look at the algorythm for the summarizer on the Safari browser. I'm not sure if its accessible, but it might yield some helpful insight on picking the most important insight from a passage.

Impressive.

I actually went questing for that earlier today. The algorithm (although your spelling is far cooler) is not public, but there are some public ways of doing it... but for now I think that's a bit out of reach for me.

This is less of a suggestion about the actual program, but the business part of it:

I imagine you won't get many customers that don't pay either $1 or $30. I would bet a lot of people won't pay $15 now out of the goodness of their heart when they'll have to buy a new program in a few weeks. It may be good for both you and your customers to have more than two options.

Like $1 for this program, $5 for this and the next, $15 for the current and the next two, etc. Something like that.

Just an idea. =)

• Downvote 1

This is less of a suggestion about the actual program, but the business part of it:

I imagine you won't get many customers that don't pay either $1 or $30. I would bet a lot of people won't pay $15 now out of the goodness of their heart when they'll have to buy a new program in a few weeks. It may be good for both you and your customers to have more than two options.

Like $1 for this program, $5 for this and the next, $15 for the current and the next two, etc. Something like that.

Just an idea. =)

Ya... admittedly, I thought of that pricing scheme at about 1AM. I'm normally a proponent of free software, and while I can tolerate commericalware, I really don't want to charge people for updates.

I'll change it to buy once, get all the updates. The website will reflect these changes soon.

ALSO: Check out the original post. New video with google news feature.

Edited by Ryan Marcus

I love this, for this being the first release it did way better than I thought it would be, the more and less options make me happy, very nice program, I'm looking forward to the updates.

• Upvote 1

When an article says "this is true for five reasons: 1) ____ 2)____ 3)_____ 4)____ 5)____", is there a way you can get it to highlight all five? I picked an article and it skipped two, but got (parts) of the other three.

Terms like "reasons" are usually synonymous with warrants - these are key in the program. Can you use this at all? Its as close to a warrant detecter as possible. That and finding "because".

Ryan, I haven't tried the program yet, but I'm really impressed by those videos you posted. I have no clue how it's done, but keep up the good work!

EDIT: On second thought, I think this program is going to need a lot of improvement for it to work properly. I tried it for a few articles, and the grammar of the cutting is pretty awful. It does get most of the warrants, but most of the time they come out as fragments. I know the program searches for particular words in the article based on the tag line, but there is a lot of incoherence in the cutting.

But you're still awesome for even thinking of this, Ryan!

Edited by aburo

When an article says "this is true for five reasons: 1) ____ 2)____ 3)_____ 4)____ 5)____", is there a way you can get it to highlight all five? I picked an article and it skipped two, but got (parts) of the other three.

Terms like "reasons" are usually synonymous with warrants - these are key in the program. Can you use this at all? Its as close to a warrant detecter as possible. That and finding "because".

It would be SUPER helpful if you could send me the article you were cutting as well as the tag you were using.

Ryan, I haven't tried the program yet, but I'm really impressed by those videos you posted. I have no clue how it's done, but keep up the good work!

EDIT: On second thought, I think this program is going to need a lot of improvement for it to work properly. I tried it for a few articles, and the grammar of the cutting is pretty awful. It does get most of the warrants, but most of the time they come out as fragments. I know the program searches for particular words in the article based on the tag line, but there is a lot of incoherence in the cutting.

But you're still awesome for even thinking of this, Ryan!

There's an art to writing tag lines that properly make the cutter work -- one of the biggest problems with supervised machine learning is the difficult in collecting data.

As always, it would be a huge help if you could send me the articles/cards you were trying to cut.

As a reminder, this is mostly designed to cut politics.

Thanks,

Ryan Marcus

• Upvote 1

I think it's a really interesting project. I've always joked about this. Now it's real! Cool.

Three suggestions, which I hope you rightly take as well-meaning:

a. I don't think your tech is good enough to sell for money yet. If, however, you sold distribution rights to a camp looking to advertise, you'd make more. Debate software produces a big hit rush, which is important, but it's difficult to set up as a truly commercial software project.

I understand you want to monetize - there just may be a better way. Feel free to backchannel.

b. Where's the code? Maybe other people could help?

c. If you made a robot that processes first and last phrases from a wiki automatically - specifically the college wiki - you would change debate forever and enter Nerd Valhalla. This project seems both easier to get right and more transformative.

@ Skynet guy: Technologies are nuanced things. It's fair to be suspicious of techno-utopians - but isn't it also fair to be suspicious of deriving your ideology from an Arnold Schwarzenegger movie?

Edited by Antonucci23
  • Upvote 1

Strangely enough you know the skynet guy. This is the younger Christensen. I do think that this program has some potentially negative aspects and I will certainly never use it, but I would also be suspicious of taking anything too seriously anyone posts on cross-x. If I am going to make any statements about my philosophy that are meant to be taken seriously I will post them somewhere aside from cross-x and I can guarantee that the articles used to complete those works will not read themselves.

Strangely enough you know the skynet guy. This is the younger Christensen. I do think that this program has some potentially negative aspects and I will certainly never use it, but I would also be suspicious of taking anything too seriously anyone posts on cross-x. If I am going to make any statements about my philosophy that are meant to be taken seriously I will post them somewhere aside from cross-x and I can guarantee that the articles used to complete those works will not read themselves.

Hey, Dana!

I'm not on cross-ex too often, so lack the time (and perhaps the ability) to distinguish true intentions from satire. I'll be happy to take any of your writings with a grain of salt, though, until you indicate otherwise.

Hope you're well!

c. If you made a robot that processes first and last phrases from a wiki automatically - specifically the college wiki - you would change debate forever and enter Nerd Valhalla. This project seems both easier to get right and more transformative.

this. do this.

I agree, this is an awesomely fun and cool toy but it is a disservice to charge people for it at this point. As a fellow software developer I understand the desire to be compensated for work that you've done, but this is not yet a finished, commercial project... I'm interested to see how this develops further.

I agree, this is an awesomely fun and cool toy but it is a disservice to charge people for it at this point. As a fellow software developer I understand the desire to be compensated for work that you've done, but this is not yet a finished, commercial project... I'm interested to see how this develops further.

It's a "disservice"? Really? Is one dollar going to set someone back that much? Sure, it's not a polished, finished product, he openly admits that. But also consider that he's not trying to make big commercial gains off the product yet, just raise a little money for his debate team.

Personally, I think it's a disservice to its actual profitability. Any camp would gladly throw down a few hundred for open source, nonexclusive distribution rights on their website, which is more than you're gonna get otherwise.