Sign in to follow this  
DeCoach

Politics after this Tuesday

We haven't been out yet this year so I don't know what people have been running on Politics so far, but I assume Tuesday's results may change things quite a bit. What's everyone's plan? Wait and see and then scramble like hell on Thursday? Prepare for possible scenarios and roll the dice?

i would work on some interesting lame duck session arguments (assuming there is one). i think it is safe to say that the republicans will take back at least the house.

i would work on some interesting lame duck session arguments (assuming there is one). i think it is safe to say that the republicans will take back at least the house.

That was actually my hunch...lame duck till January. It will be interesting to see how some reps vote if they are no longer running for reelection. The post-January scenarios are tricky. I think the GOP will have the House, Dems will hold a 1-2 seat edge in the Senate, and of course Obama retains the WH. I think the ability to claim "absent the plan, Congress would pass _____ and Obama would sign it" is going to be seriously compromised.

Well, post-January, I'd assume Obama would be thinking "fuuuuuu can't pass anything" and try for bipart within the legislature. This requires polcap on his part, and the plan saps this influence. Easy to put together disad, especially seeing that Obama's always talking about how there shouldn't be party lines. Insert [bill] here and decent politics disads emerge.

Debates would most likely be centered over whether or not the GOP would do anything with Obama, or will they just stonewall against any efforts to be more bipartisan.

As far as lame-duck sessions go, START's looking decent. It's most likely a high priority, and:

1. All the dems, regardless of the election, still support START for the most part.

2. Really does depend on how many Reps lose seats- the more that do increase the chances that they'll be in a idgaf attitude and vote for it.

Impeachment disad lawls