Sign in to follow this  
hylanddd

The Final Two for 2011-2012

NFHS has announced the final two topics remaining after the first round of balloting:

Resolved: The United States federal government should substantially increase its exploration and/or development of space beyond the Earth’s mesosphere.

or

Resolved: The United States federal government should substantially increase its economic engagement with the People’s Republic of China on one or more of the following issues: trade, economy, environment.

Have at it.

I'm actually going to say that with this year's topic being fairly good the high school community has started a streak and gotten it right again and put two very interesting topics up.

I will say space will likely bring out a lot of wacko cases that some conspiracy blogger defends. That will make the topic difficult, and somewhat trivial by those teams that run to the fringe. At the same time even if fringe ideas weren't run the topic is still huge and the only universal DA is based on the spending link, given that the current administration has loved spending so far these DAs may or may not have good uniqueness.

China has built in debates about pressure CP vs. engagement, it also has Chinese politics, as well as other countries (India, Japan, etc) relations built in. On the whole I would say might be a more balanced topic.

I do think science type topics aren't done nearly enough and that is a compelling reason space should be debated. Overall though I don't think there is anything to be disappointed about since two decent topics got put on the ballot.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! I really wanted SEA to be chosen, every aff on space is Extra topical, and china is worded terribly.. :(

Can someone explain why the wording of the China topic changed? The wording was: trade, currency, environment and now is: trade, economy, environment. Is this just an error? (One was last year's topic, the other is this years).

For those who debated (or coached) on prior space topics, how does the affirmative get past time frame arguments on disadvantages?

I coached on it, and the answer is: you don't. that's why there were so few Affs that were still being run by late in the year.

Can someone explain why the wording of the China topic changed? The wording was: trade, currency, environment and now is: trade, economy, environment. Is this just an error? (One was last year's topic, the other is this years).

The China bashing bill that passed the House would make politics (and most other neg disad ground) exceptionally difficult for winning unique links. 'Economy' is exceptionally broad, but that's my best guess.

My plan is to run the Space topic by a couple of people over at NASA and other parts of the aerospace industry to get their perspective on what the debates would actually involve in terms of time-frame, technology, etc. If I can get them to issue some opinions, I'll post them here.

My plan is to run the Space topic by a couple of people over at NASA and other parts of the aerospace industry to get their perspective on what the debates would actually involve in terms of time-frame, technology, etc. If I can get them to issue some opinions, I'll post them here.

They probably will give an unsatisfactory answer and you will end up running aliens.