Sign in to follow this  
gopal

College Basketball 2010-11

Midnight Madness (unless youre the school that invented it, in which case its lame as shit and starts at 6 pm) is over and the season is just around the corner. My predictions:

1) KU will not be a top 25 team. Bill Self is trusting his offense to a convict who hates to pass the ball. Sweet decision there.

2) UNC will be down again. They lost the Wear brothers and Ed Davis so their frontcourt is now a guy who has never been healthy in his life (Tyler Zeller), a guy who was a fringy role player in the SEC (Justin Knox), and a guy who's skinnier than most African children (John Henson). Oh, and their PG is a guy that his teammates call D2... and its not because of his last name. They'll probably make the tournament, but it'll be much closer to the bubble than where theyre ranked in all the preseason stuff.

3) Purdue will be fine even without Hummel. Johnson and Moore are really good and they should get Purdue back to the Sweet 16 and possibly beyond.

4) St Johns will make the tournament. And (while this isnt a prediction for this year) Lavin will have them partying like its the 90s again in the near future.

5) Maryland will finish 2nd in the ACC if only because the rest of the league isnt as good as it usually is. I already said my piece on UNC... VT is incredibly small and is more reliant on the officials than almost any other team in the country, FSU is still coached by Leonard Hamilton and no amount of 5 star hyper-athletes can change that. For NC State, just read what I wrote for FSU but substitute in the Koolaid Man for Leonard Hamilton. Oh, and Jordan Williams is a beast. He will be first team all-ACC and be one of the better big men in the nation.

6) Duke will repeat because there is no God.

Spartans returning 4 starters from a team thats been to the last 2 final fours.

I like their chances.

the big 10 is gonna be pretty sweet

The teams will be good. But the conference will still be the worst conference in the country in terms of watchability.

Gonzaga in the Elite 8 at a minumum. If Marquis Carter and Sam Dower are as good as they're suppposed to be Final Four isn't out of reach.

And this isn't because I'm a homer...ok maybe a little.

Gonzaga in the Elite 8 at a minumum. If Marquis Carter and Sam Dower are as good as they're suppposed to be Final Four isn't out of reach.

And this isn't because I'm a homer...ok maybe a little.

Gonzaga will get a favorable draw to teh sweet 16 and fail miserably.

the big 10 is gonna be pretty sweet

Purdue is less sweet without Hummel, but their other two hilariously named stars will keep them competitive.

OSU is dependent on Sullinger. I keep waiting for Matta's streak of 5 star "Come here for a year and party" players to end when someone winds up being a bust.

Like koufos and mullens? Lighty, buford (south toledo represent), diebler, lauderdale and sullinger should be fun. Itd be nice to have a point guard

Like koufos and mullens? Lighty, buford (south toledo represent), diebler, lauderdale and sullinger should be fun. Itd be nice to have a point guard

That team is crap if Sullinger isnt the next big thing.

crap is a strong word. i dont think there is another team with as much depth, experience, and athleticism on the wing in the country. Buford and Lighty can pick up a lot of the offensive slack from Turner leaving. Aaron Craft will hopefully be a decent Point Guard. Lauderdale has improved every year inside. If Sullinger isnt on the roster its the 25th best team in the country.

With him, I think Ohio State has the chance to be in the top 5.

my top priority at the moment is winning the acc/big 10 challenge again

You heard it here first: Penn State's basketball team will suck as bad as our football team!

The only happy moment right now is that Florida's football team is just as bad.

6) Duke will repeat because there is no God.

Its always a travesty when Duke wins.

Win once in over a decade and Big Televen fans puff their chests out... It won't happen. The ACC is down, and the Big Ten is strong, but we're still gonna win it. I wish Miami was playing in it tho...

Win once in over a decade and Big Televen fans puff their chests out... It won't happen. The ACC is down, and the Big Ten is strong, but we're still gonna win it. I wish Miami was playing in it tho...

Well the rule of MSU being required to play in the state of North Carolina is being followed, so theyve got that.

crap is a strong word. i dont think there is another team with as much depth, experience, and athleticism on the wing in the country. Buford and Lighty can pick up a lot of the offensive slack from Turner leaving. Aaron Craft will hopefully be a decent Point Guard. Lauderdale has improved every year inside. If Sullinger isnt on the roster its the 25th best team in the country.

With him, I think Ohio State has the chance to be in the top 5.

Dude, last year it was a bunch of role players and Evan Turner that lost in the Sweet 16.

this year its the same role players and a freshman.

Not a top 5 team.

Also Indiana will be back this year. not all the way back, but making the tournament back.

Gonzaga will get a favorable draw to teh sweet 16 and fail miserably.

-One of the top 10 players in college basketball, who was a freshman all-american playing out of his natural position.

-We have probably top 5 interior depth in the country. Which includes, a 7 foot legit center with tournament experience. A 6'10 ex-point-guard that had a great summer playing for Canada in the FIBA tournament. And added a blue chip 6'10 Power Forward whose had a year of weight training to resolve his only overwhelming negative (believe me, you'll be hearing Sam Dower's name a lot by the end of the year).

-A very strong, defensive back court. Steven Gray and Dimitri Goodson are two elite positional defenders for their respective positions, which will be handy come tournament time. Manny Arop will be significantly improved since an amazing freshman year. Marquis Carter will do many of the things that made Matt Bouldin so good admirably, and will only get better as the season goes on.

Most importantly, this is a team that last year was able to push some of the better team sin the country with a TON of inexperience at all levels of the team last year (like MSU, who they were beating until the last 5, i think, minutes of the game). They had some embarrassing losses at the end of the year but that was largely due to unfortunate injuries and the inconsistencies of a very, very young team. Another year of experience and another year of Elias Harris will do wonders. Especially since this is the first time since Adam Morrison (who would've been to the Elite 8 if not for an epic collapse/some egregiously bad calls) that Gonzaga has leadership that is a) has start talent (this team will go as far as Elias Harris takes it) and B) isn't captained by Stoners (Matt Bouldin was the worst, i know from experience) and shrooming in the middle of the season (Josh Heytvelt).

Albeit this team does have some problems, spreading the floor is going to be tough with a lack of shooters and Meech hasn't proven he can step in as a distributer absent Bouldin YET, but I think that these are things that can be overcome if people play to their potential.

MSU wasnt that good last year. They had a great draw and a magical tournament run, but for the bulk of the season, that team was a major disappointment. If you wanna talk good wins for the Zags last year, the list goes Wisconsin, St Marys x2. And that's it. Its possible that they make a huge leap and get to the Elite 8 this year... but I thought last years team was horribly overrated even with just an 8 seed.

Asserting that a young team (5 of the top seven in our rotation were underclasmen). Literally addresses none of my argument.

Congratulations

MSU wasnt that good last year. They had a great draw and a magical tournament run,

Dude, have you been watching us for the last 5 years? Its always been that. The Spartans peak in March.

Making the final 4 and losing by 2 pts without your all american point guard isnt disappointing.

Midnight Madness (unless youre the school that invented it, in which case its lame as shit and starts at 6 pm) is over and the season is just around the corner. My predictions:

1) KU will not be a top 25 team. Bill Self is trusting his offense to a convict who hates to pass the ball. Sweet decision there.

Probably the dumbest thing that's been said.

• Upvote 1

If my team wins more than two games in conference play I'll call it a successful season. Go Big Red?

If my team wins more than two games in conference play I'll call it a successful season. Go Big Red?

wait till next year when youre in a better conference.

Yeah. I'm hoping that moving to the Big Ten will be like a new start for the NU basketball program, but I doubt it. NU is probably the worst major conference basketball program in the country.

Yeah. I'm hoping that moving to the Big Ten will be like a new start for the NU basketball program, but I doubt it. NU is probably the worst major conference basketball program in the country.

Michigan will be pretty awful this year.