Sign in to follow this  
Inherencyftw

Disclosure

you'd think a group of people who throw around economic jargon in a competitive activity would know better than to assert that a certain practice is a pareto optimal practice without engaging in the necessary thought experiment through the lens of the other relevant actors engaged in the activity (like individuals who view high school policy debate as intrinsically good even [or especially] absent its ability to train a new cadre of collegiate policy debaters)

you would also think that a group of people who claim essentializing representations constitute reasons to reject teams in said activity would not be so quick to assert that those who don't wish to participate in a systematic exchange of information are doing so for illegitimate reasons which should be frowned upon or otherwise chastised within the community

but you would be wrong

I tried to disclose as much as I could this year, (sorry to those I hit at DCI, my partner didn't want to disclose) and I can honestly say that the rounds in which disclosure occurred (on both sides) were better than the rounds where neither team did so. Maybe it's just because those who disclosed tended to be higher on the bracket, and thus the rounds would have been better anyways, but it always seemed that those extra few minutes, where the neg team knows what the 1AC is and the aff team knows what past 2NRs have looked like, helped each team get more prepared and allowed a better round. Just my $0.02.

• Downvote 1

The jury is in on the pedagogical benefits of disclosure. It not only should be the a norm for tournaments, but a rule. Tournaments like Bronx should be commended for requiring disclosure (as opposed to just making it a norm), and I hope more tournaments create such rules in the future, be it that they don't accept an entry without disclosure, or charge higher entry fees and penalties for teams who don't disclose.

The reason for my support of this trend is I am confident, although it would be impossible to verify, that many of these "won't disclose" teams are also checking the wiki before tournaments, or have the nerve to ask the other team what they run. Forced disclosure ensures everyone has equal and fair access.

• Downvote 2