Sign in to follow this  
Inherencyftw

Disclosure

Hey, I was reading a different thread and the topic of "case disclosure" came up so I thought I'd make this thread about whether of not most Kansas debaters disclose their affirmative cases. We personally disclose plan texts and recently (last tournament) advantages. This should NOT be a fight over who's right and who's wrong. This should also not be a place to post aff cases. The sole purpose of this thread is to get input from other debaters in the region.

• Downvote 1

Excuse me. I'm going to put on this asbestos suit, here, and duck down into my bomb shelter for a couple of weeks...

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I obviously did, and this obviously was my way of expressing our opinion on the matter with dramatic effect, unknown SME debater.

EDIT: also, for lack of a better place to post the link. Starting a new thread seemed superfluous.

i like knowin what other people read. then i know what to read. it's like being in with the cool crowd. bein in the know, ya know? havin your cake and eatin it too

• Downvote 1

Excuse me. I'm going to put on this asbestos suit, here, and duck down into my bomb shelter for a couple of weeks...

Come on now. I'm sure it is going to be a highly intelligent, entirely original, discussion.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I have recently been disclosing plans before speeches. I did this at the Hutch tournament for the three rounds that I debated aff. After both teams signed the ballot and got situated I gave the negative team a copy of the plan text. For some reason I like to disclose my plan text, may it be that it seems to be smiled upon or that it makes for a better debate. However, not disclosing is also fine, it just gives the negative a little more prep time and an accurate flow of the plan. And if there is any confusion into details or specification of plan, it makes for an easier argument that the neg had even more additional prep time cause of disclosure. (mdawgig can vouch for the validity of my disclosing plan text) But by all means do teams have to do it or should do it, it just clears alot of details up.

I have recently been disclosing plans before speeches. I did this at the Hutch tournament for the three rounds that I debated aff. After both teams signed the ballot and got situated I gave the negative team a copy of the plan text. For some reason I like to disclose my plan text, may it be that it seems to be smiled upon or that it makes for a better debate. However, not disclosing is also fine, it just gives the negative a little more prep time and an accurate flow of the plan. And if there is any confusion into details or specification of plan, it makes for an easier argument that the neg had even more additional prep time cause of disclosure. (mdawgig can vouch for the validity of my disclosing plan text) But by all means do teams have to do it or should do it, it just clears alot of details up.

Disclosure as aff is good, neg disclosure from past rounds is good too.

• Downvote 1

This did occur, yes. However, I believe the norm is plan text + advantages. If you could just write what your advantages are on the plan text page you give, that would be awesome-possum.

This did occur, yes. However, I believe the norm is plan text + advantages. If you could just write what your advantages are on the plan text page you give, that would be awesome-possum.

Sure, I would be willing to disclose advantages as well.

Disclosing seems to ruin the fun it for me. I always enjoyed the "wtf?" face my partner gave me halfway throught the 1ac. :)

I feel it's a bite too late in the season to justify creating a new one, I'll definitely take up responsibility for making and maintaining one next year though.

Dude you disclosed plan?? That seems like its a bad idea. You must be really good if you can debate the other team when they know what you're reading before the round. I havent disclosed before because I'm worried about the other team destroying me in Cross-X or reading really specific links to DA's that we won't have answers to. I just am to worried about being embarrased in the round to disclose before the round

I feel it's a bite too late in the season to justify creating a new one, I'll definitely take up responsibility for making and maintaining one next year though.

No such thing as being too late to create one. Hell if you guys think it'll take too much time I'll make it and manage it. but, seeing as this failed last year and, for some reason that I will never understand, a majority of kansas teams don't want to disclose I doubt there will be any interest and those that care about disclosure enough are probably already on the national wiki.

I wrote a long post about the benefits of disclosure the last time this came up. I still very fervently believe that disclosure is only beneficial to all involved. You can find it here: http://www.cross-x.com/vb/showthread.php?t=994421&highlight=disclosure. I have urged (and in the case of my little brother significantly coerced) SME's debaters to become involved in the wiki and they all certainly disclose their aff and previous neg arguments.

Please, become involved in disclosure, it will only benefit everyone and give much greater direction to your research, increasing the quality of debates in both the short and long term.

• Downvote 1

I wrote a long post about the benefits of disclosure the last time this came up. I still very fervently believe that disclosure is only beneficial to all involved. You can find it here: http://www.cross-x.com/vb/showthread.php?t=994421&highlight=disclosure. I have urged (and in the case of my little brother significantly coerced) SME's debaters to become involved in the wiki and they all certainly disclose their aff and previous neg arguments.

Please, become involved in disclosure, it will only benefit everyone and give much greater direction to your research, increasing the quality of debates in both the short and long term.

How many times do we have to have this discussion?

Patrick, you crack me up. Because you debate in college and the norm is to disclose, you advocate everyone be like you. I don't debate in college and never did. Our perspectives are so very similar on so many things, but very different on this. I hope you know I respect you very much, but will continue to disagree with you on this subject. I will even coach kids to disclose in environments in which that is the norm, but as much as you fervently believe disclosure is beneficial, I that much fervently believe disclosure is a bad practice that works under misinformed assumptions and denies that problems that it creates.

If you go to the link that Patrick put up, I would suggest you read the entire thread, including all of the points made against a caselist. It is very intersting that the 1st posting in the thread says that the author hopes that that would be the last discussion on the thread. Apparently not!! LOL!! I'm guessing that the discussion of disclosure is the closest thing to proof that Hell can indeed can produce suffereing indefinately...

• Downvote 1

. It is very intersting that the 1st posting in the thread says that the author hopes that that would be the last discussion on the thread. Apparently not!! LOL!! I'm guessing that the discussion of disclosure is the closest thing to proof that Hell can indeed can produce suffereing indefinately...

That's pretty funny- it's like all of those silly "suffering good" arguments told us, it's just an infinite loop!

No such thing as being too late to create one. Hell if you guys think it'll take too much time I'll make it and manage it. but, seeing as this failed last year and, for some reason that I will never understand, a majority of kansas teams don't want to disclose I doubt there will be any interest and those that care about disclosure enough are probably already on the national wiki.

About 90% of Kansas teams are banking on the fact that the other team has no clue what the 1AC's about to spawn. Be it a dank Japan aff or a load of lol no one knows and no one wants you to know.

About 90% of Kansas teams are banking on the fact that the other team has no clue what the 1AC's about to spawn. Be it a dank Japan aff or a load of lol no one knows and no one wants you to know.

This is exactly why debaters from Kansas aren't learning the actual skills of argumentation and how to debate. They're more interested in their win-loss records than learning what should they should be doing to be one of the teams "who is going to roflstomp anyways". I feel like knowing the case before hand encourages teams to run arguments that are good rather than ones that are just surprising and stupid

I know. I graduated from Olathe North 2 years ago.

They're more interested in their win-loss records than learning what should they should be doing to be one of the teams "who is going to roflstomp anyways". I feel like knowing the case before hand encourages teams to run arguments that are good rather than ones that are just surprising and stupid

Refer to my post on the 2010-2011 caselist thread. I agree.

Also, as one of the teams who "roflstomps", let me tell you a secret- we didn't get good because we've mastered the strategy of secrecy.

sidenote-

Michael, that little Indian avatar? #offensive #butalsololz (everyone who debates should get a twitter!)

Edited by cierbear
  • Downvote 2