Nelsonwins94

Why does Speed kill Policy debate?

spreading came because policy was let loose. to take it away would be to reset policy. even the other styles of debate spread so i don't know why they went to the other ones.

Speed's good. I used to have a speaking disability and working hard at debate to be able to speak faster helped me get rid of it more than any of the exercises that I got for it. I'm only a novice now but I'm able to outspeak a junior on my team who's a pretty good speaker.

But can you out-debate him?

More importantly, good for you, but this is non-responsive to most of what's been said against speed.

But can you out-debate him?

More importantly, good for you, but this is non-responsive to most of what's been said against speed.

We had a speed K debate at Michigan...I think speed is good, but you still have to convince the judge to like your arguments and not be a robot.

Would you be able to use as a Speed K impact, a link to occularcentrism. Something along the lines of "they read too fast to hear, the only way you can comprehend it is to read it = occularcentrism = bad"

Would you be able to use as a Speed K impact, a link to occularcentrism. Something along the lines of "they read too fast to hear, the only way you can comprehend it is to read it = occularcentrism = bad"

you would have to win that they are impossible to understand, and that cross-x would not be sufficient. even then, it seems kind of contrived.

But that right there is just what im talking about. isnt it bad that weaker debaters are leaving because they cant keep up? isnt it bad how we are exluding kids from this sport because they may have a learning disability or a physical disability like dyslexia or a stutter? shouldnt we slow down debate to account for all individuals and allows for the most fun and most participation?

if polocy debate is slowed down you can fit in all the arguments and if you cant fit in all the arguments then you have to drop some if you drop some then the you dont end up as educated.

No. Slowing down policy debate would be dumb.

1. Hurts those who are actually committed/paid shitloads on camp/spend a lotta time

2. Brings it to PFD level

3. Can disabled kids debate well in any division anyways?

4. You don't have to be fast to win

5. Policy db8 is 1337, tough luck if you aren't

6. Having weaker debaters leave helps coaches focus on those who are dedicated to debate

7. Speed doesn't kill policy debate

8. Welcome to cross-x, the world's premier debate forum!

-Red Spy

hahaha i dont agree with numbers 3 or 6 but the rest are true and hella funny!!! who is stupid enough to run the spreading k is my question!!!??? kids with disabilities can work on spreading to make themselves faster so... and just to speed drills to go faster come on people it isn't rocket science

• Downvote 1

you would have to win that they are impossible to understand, and that cross-x would not be sufficient. even then, it seems kind of contrived.

dont read the spreading k that solves all your problems. play hard or go home spreding is part of polocy. you would loose anyways.

dont read the spreading k that solves all your problems. play hard or go home spreding is part of polocy. you would loose anyways.

Don't triple post. It's annoying.

• Upvote 1

?

It's a pity I can only neg rep one post per day.

• Upvote 3

ATTN: People who gave me neg rep.

My intent in posting those multiple posts was to kill this thread, not to troll something which is useful. In other words, the current discussion isn't useful.

This thread should die because no productive discussion has emerged in it for quite some time. We don't need people mindlessly repeating the same claims, we need to actually engage the points of each other.

Let this thread die.

• Downvote 4

My intent in posting those multiple posts was to kill this thread, not to troll something which is useful. In other words, the current discussion isn't useful.

This thread should die because no productive discussion has emerged in it for quite some time. We don't need people mindlessly repeating the same claims, we need to actually engage the points of each other.

Let this thread die.

And yet you bump it...

• Upvote 2

Let this thread die.

I'm glad that you were appointed as secretary of determining when threads should or shouldn't be open.

also who thought this should be sticked?

• Upvote 8

1) what if somone is just as committed but reads slower? what if somone still goes to camp but cant master speed?

2)Why do we have to bring it to a new level? why cant is stay the way it is?

3) disabled kids can debate just as well if not better in many division. isnt your point of view elitist?

4) you may not have to be fast to win but it sure helps. the slower you are the more likely you are to have a team spread on you. is it not true?

5) nice internet slang, and this isnt about me. this is about the bigger picture.

6) shouldnt judges give just as much attention if not more attention to the struggling debaters as i does the the whos who speed?

7) cant you see how the activity is dieing because of speed?

8) thanks for the welcome

Good job at answering all arguments! lets see how red responds...

The fact of the matter is, if you are a good debater, then you do not necessarily need speed, BUT in order to compete competitively, you must be able to talk moderately fast. With everybody flashing each other their speeches, etc.. their should be no excuse for people not to be able to understand the arguments. Additionally, if somebody is reading to fast and you can't understand, odds are, the judge cannot understand, and therefore the argument will not be flowed.

People are arguing about excluding disabled kids, I am going to sound terrible saying this, but if someone is in a wheelchair, would not letting them join the varsity basketball team be degrading them? The answer is no, because to compete at a high level you must be capable to do so.

At the people that are leaving cx debate, it takes time to develop your "ear" so you can understand what is being said, so I do argue with the fact that people are "weeding out" the "weaklings", but I feel that with good coaching, people could understand spreading, and be able to spread better.

• Upvote 1