Sign in to follow this  
mdawgig

WEast - Teams and judging pool

1. Who is going to Wichita East?

Rose Hill is sending Jones/Mays in varsity, two open teams and three novice teams.

2. What is the judging pool looking like?

I was told by a judge that laptops are allowed at every DCI bid but im not sure. I would bring it just in case.

DCI or non-DCI is irrelevant. Tournament host decides.

Washburn Rural and Hutchinson, DCI tournaments, allowed laptops.

Empora, a DCI tournament, did not.

St. Thomas Aquinas, a non-DCI tournament, has in past years.

Best bet is to ask before each tournament

Can anyone from WEast confirm/deny?

Also, judging pool? It was GREAT last year (in varsity, I didn't get a single lay). Can anyone say ANYTHING regarding who will be judging/the overall quality of the pool?

In response to Michael Mays:

Newton will be sending 1 varsity team. (Emily/Tyler) And like 2 or 3 open teams. And one judge for the novices. (Yours truely)

I'm pretty sure there will be some lay, some flow. Flow judges probably mostly Wichita State debaters.

I like how this Inherencyftw guy says no Shawnee Mission East debaters and on the list of who is competing there is 3 SME teams in varsity

We are doing our best to have "flow" judges in each varsity open round. Some of our judges will be more college-style flow, and others will be former debaters with high school experience (open division). Just as you always do, adapt to the judge in the room.

In open division we will have a mix of parent judges who have judged previous years, and some judges for whom debate is new. In novice division, expect a mix of parents who are seeing debate for the first time and varsity debaters.

We did not include in our rules permission to use laptops. (Our judges, according to KSHSAA guidelines, may of course use laptops.) DeskBoy, I know you wanted to use your laptop because of your new timekeeping program, but that's just the way it is...sorry.

Our tournament is larger this year than ever; we appreciate your understanding as we manage this monster (especially since we lose many of our more experienced debaters to SAT testing on Saturday, and some novice who would be timekeepers so they may compete at Derby).

Coachie