Sign in to follow this  
Skeet Skeet

Performance

I'd really like to get into the realm of performance debate, specifically musically inclined performance, however I haven't got the slightest notion of what kind of literature to read, what I would need to be well versed in and what authors to look for. Specifically, I'm trying to cut an in-round performance cap k, also what kind of framework arguments are set up for performance teams? Sorry I sound like a complete n00b, any and all help greatly appreciated :D

Music is normally used to convey a message specific to your brand of the argument you are running, so if you wish to use music you should look into musical artists who are critical of Capitalist society. An overused musical group in debate(Dead Prez) discusses capitalism and prefers a mode of Communism, specifically they advocate Black Communism encouraged by Malcolm X-esque ideas, however if it isn't specific to your aff you'll look like a Beacon fanboy(/girl).

In terms of the authors, you just use your general authors that criticize capitalism, however you should find evidence that aims towards a "public sphere/debate sphere K2 challenging capitalist structures(or just power structures). Spanos evidence is often used to argue that the debate sphere is crucial to challenging the US hegemonic ontology(the so called "American Way"), but the more specific to capitalism the better for your affirmative. Another common piece of evidence(on framework) would be the Butler 04 card, which essentially argues that excluding any voices is bad, and within the contexts of debate if we abandon critical voices it is a very bad thing.

For framework, you'll normally be arguing against a policy maker framework, or something that argues that performative debate is less desirable than the more normalized circuit debate. Framework will change somewhat depending if this cap argument will be an affirmative case or a K, so just write it where you know it, and defend performative debate as a non-exclusionary event, or say it is best for agonism(you could also go with basic voters like fairness, ie "Aff getting to set f/w kills fairness", too, it's up you).

In terms of the authors, you just use your general authors that criticize capitalism, however you should find evidence that aims towards a "public sphere/debate sphere K2 challenging capitalist structures(or just power structures). Spanos evidence is often used to argue that the debate sphere is crucial to challenging the US hegemonic ontology(the so called "American Way"), but the more specific to capitalism the better for your affirmative. Another common piece of evidence(on framework) would be the Butler 04 card, which essentially argues that excluding any voices is bad, and within the contexts of debate if we abandon critical voices it is a very bad thing.

So would it be enough to find authors who are focused on the actually uprising of a movement of people's who need to dismantle capitalism (like Herod in 04 people have to individually fight capitalism on a day to day basis) or is there something more specific than that?

EDIT: Oh and for artists I was thinking of Enter Shikari's album "Common Dreads"

for this topic specifically Fanfare For The Conscious Man, would that work (anyone who's familiar)?

Edited by Skeet Skeet

So would it be enough to find authors who are focused on the actually uprising of a movement of people's who need to dismantle capitalism (like Herod in 04 people have to individually fight capitalism on a day to day basis) or is there something more specific than that?

That's fine, I mean specificity is an issue for you and your partner to evaluate and choose uniquely for you guys, but personally I like to advocate either a movement driven through individual resistance and voices, and/or have one or two cards that warrant your use of debate as a forum for your given discussion(it applies to framework arguments as well as solvency given your advocacy statement or whatever you're rolling with)

Roland Bleiker has some poetry cards and well as some. Obviously music is a form of poetry. You should be able to find these in about 1/2 the performance files....and even framework files available.

The question(s) of quality, authenticity, and ideology of the poetry are never discussed...but seem ripe in the context of debate.

I've never been in a debate where poetry was read vs. poetry.

My guess is that it will be pretty easy to find anti-war music is good or anti-militarism music is good--probably written in the context of the vietnam war. I'm not sure about anti-capitalism music. Also, theres evidence about hip-hop (although watch out because what we generally call hip hop is pretty commodified)

Awesome, thank you both so much for your help, this will actually help a whole lot for the arguments I'm trying to cut

EDIT: what books should I look for by Spanos?

Edited by Skeet Skeet

I think there are 3:

1) American Exceptionalism in the Age of Globalization 2008 (I haven't read any of this--and haven't seen it in debate rounds yet--but I amuse people are reading it)

2) William V. Spanos, America's Shadow

3) William V. Spanos, Heidegger and Criticism:Retrieving the Cultural Politics of Destruction

You should be able to cut the argument from either of the later two. You may want to learn about Heidegger's critique of technology/humanism as or before you read them.

You probably want 2 cards from other files you already have (and a 3rd, which I wouldn't probably grab or read in rounds):

1) Dillion or value to life

2) kw: Policy Paralysis from dillion and reid (this is arguably another indict of the problem-solution framework)

3) some people would say the "hell on earth" card from Zimmerman, but I would attempt to stay away from it given he responds afterward.

Obviously, impacts to heidegger, humanism bad, and pro-dicts which defend specific criticism(s) of heidegger like "heidegger was a nazi" (actually Spanos answers most of the arguments, plus your're not heidegger proper)

Depending on the nature of the aff--this is likely to turn into:

1) Rorty--Cede the political & other "gotta act" type arguments

2) Humanism good/Heidegger is a nazi

3) Framework

4) aff link turn (or realism good--perhaps with hege impacts & soft power impacts & democracy)

5) perm-rethink & act

Here is a link to the previous thread which has a little explanation of the K. (I included more places to look, but I think if you focus on 2 of his books--and can answer the link turn--you should be more than fine)

Edited by nathan_debate
  • Downvote 1

Well, you are looking for something along the lines of "aesthetics good."

Nietzsche a good source for this kind of stuff (see especially sections 5

and 8 of the birth of tragedy: "the whole world is justified only as an

aesthetic phenomena"). If you want specific "music good" sort of stuff,

schopenhauer (the world as will and representation section 34, also Daniel

Albright, Modernism and Music, page 39, fn34) and deleuze (a thousand

plateaus--not anti-oedipus--"of the refrain", the last few paragraphs) are

good places to look. finally, adorno wrote a bunch of essays on music

(which you can find collected in "essays on music" ed r. leppert) which

produces a lot of good cards ("art posits an 'otherwise' to the present";

"music is similar to language...music is not a language...")

The first few pages of "music as philosophy" by michael spitzer is good for

an argument regarding "beauty." "nietzsche's philosophy of art" by julian

young will have more nietzsche stuff. andrew bowie's "music, philosophy,

and modernity," is a nice read, but i doubt that it will be of much help.

it seems like there are a lot of n/b's to the aff that tend toward

feminism--there may be a uniquely embodied character to music (i.e., there

is a sense in which we can speak of the original mona lisa, but there is no

such thing as the original beethoven's 5th) which you can read offense

from. then again, it seems as if all "performance" tends in this direction,

but i think there may be something special about music.

Reading art or aesthetics good however is just the start...

Speech & writing are both creative arts....so you have to have a comparative mechanism or criteria to help rank/evaluate respective "art"

Once you do this...you get into discussions of authentic vs. inauthentic art on some level (directly or indirectly).

Or you get into weird circuluar-esque or paradoxical claims like:

art leads to better truth...so it should trump truth.

How would a neoist framework

(your art is dead, we need a new art framework"

work out, especially as a fw turn on performance affs?

How would a neoist framework

(your art is dead, we need a new art framework"

work out, especially as a fw turn on performance affs?

That sounds sick against aesthetic affs. Any answer that they made would probably be like "art is subjective" and you could concede it as terminal defense against the case.

Edited by Chaos

Better idea: the K could argue that static, exclusive definitions of "art" are bad because they limit out certain possibilities for aesthetic enjoyment and (if they use aesthetics as a tool of revolution) that exclusive definitions limit the mechanisms we can use to combat oppression. The alternative would be to recognize that "art is everywhere", or something similar.

You could possibly use policy framework arguments as net benefits. Don't argue that we should exclude music or whatever the aff does, but argue that because policy debate is good we should allow for it in our aesthetic discussions.

I have a problem with this thread for a couple of reasons.

1.) What do you want to run?

2.) Why? Where does the organic intellectuality of it?

3.) Regular cards is not what your looking for. Performance affs usually consist of VERY FEW cards that are VERY GOOD. Just because you play a song doesnt make it a performance.

4.) Authors you need are : Dr. Shanara Reid Brinkley, Tim Wise, Charles Mills, Jack Citrin, Bell Hooks, Rodriguez cards. Using regular people will not really work to your advantage for a performance. I mean you CAN use it, but does it mean its the best.

4.) NO FRAMEWORK SHOULD NOT JUST BE AGAINST POLICYMAKING -____-. It should include the Dr. Shanara Reid Brinkley evidence that talks about performing the three tier method of 1.) Organic Intellectual 2.) Personal Experience 3.) Academia.

5.) Should have something to tie down to your organic intellecutal.

6.) REALLY? reading Spanos and Nietzsche will NOT make a STRONG aff, and will make you look like another k aff. Like yea read one Spanos card if its specific to your aff but dont read them in the whole aff.

Trust me I used to run Nietzsche for Two years, and have read all of his literature, and now run performance: NIETZSCHE WONT DO SHIT FOR YOU in a cap aff, black aesthetic, asian aesthetic, latino aesthetic etc. aff. It will turn your aff if anything agianst a good nietzsche/heidegger/spanos/ontology teams. Also DONT BE JUST ANOTHER PERFORMANCE TEAM. RUN SOMETHING THAT IS UNIQUE AND HAVE A PERSONAL RELATIONSHIP WITHIN YOURSELF AND YOUR ADVOCACY.

For music : Dead Prez "Thats War"

Immortal technique songs (alot of them are anti-war or just about the struggle against white supremacy)

Vinnie Paz

Diabolic

RA The Rugged Man

Jedi Mind Tricks

Army of Pharaohs

Nas- America, N.I.G.G.E.R. ( its a song lol)

or even if your into rock (which im not) one good song

Muse- Uprising

ALSO TO SEE WHAT PERFORMANCE TEAMS DO go on youtube and type in BUDL Demo debates look for Reid Brinkley/ Burch Cooper/Love its a really good round.