Sign in to follow this  
amitpop

Authors that talk about profanity

The better argument about profanity is in Profanations by Agamben.

Um. Last time I checked, none of these essays were about profanity...

I might be wrong though.

HURTFUL LANGUAGE = RHETORICAL NUCLEAR WARFARE

Warren 2002 [Rick, respected Christian minister, “The Purpose-Driven Life.” Zondervan Publishing, 2002, pg. 157]

During the Cold War, both sides agreed that some weapons were so destructive that they should never be used. Today chemical and biological weapons are banned, and the stockpiles of nuclear weapons are being reduced and destroyed. For the sake of fellowship, you must destroy your arsenal of relational nuclear weapons, including condemning, belittling, comparing, labeling, insulting, condescending, and being sarcastic. Paul sums it up this way: “Do not use harmful words, but only helpful words, the kind that build up and provide what is needed, so that what you say will do good to those that hear you.”

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Uh what the fuck are you talking about?

Um. Last time I checked, none of these essays were about profanity...

I might be wrong though.

I think it was a joke. lrn2pun.

HURTFUL LANGUAGE = RHETORICAL NUCLEAR WARFARE

Warren 2002 [Rick, respected Christian minister, “The Purpose-Driven Life.” Zondervan Publishing, 2002, pg. 157]

During the Cold War, both sides agreed that some weapons were so destructive that they should never be used. Today chemical and biological weapons are banned, and the stockpiles of nuclear weapons are being reduced and destroyed. For the sake of fellowship, you must destroy your arsenal of relational nuclear weapons, including condemning, belittling, comparing, labeling, insulting, condescending, and being sarcastic. Paul sums it up this way: “Do not use harmful words, but only helpful words, the kind that build up and provide what is needed, so that what you say will do good to those that hear you.”

qfa