Sign in to follow this  
gopal

The NCAA is rapin errbody out here

Didnt realize how minor that was when I linked it. For a program that doesn't even to bother to hide how much it cheats, improper texts is kind of a yawner.

Yet to see PSU football involved in this mess!

I make no promises about the rest of our sports....

Looks like UCLA is in trouble. But then again at this rate the entire Pac-10 and every other major conference is going to be in trouble...

Yeah, theyre gonna wind up reevaluating the rules. Hopefully it ends up with the players making a little walking around money.

everyone breaks the rules. thats why it was so dumb when everyone got on UCONN for it when the story broke. do you know what that was about? they were calling a kid who wouldnt go to class/stay in school and help get him eligible to play. not paying him, not helping him break the law. they were contacting him more than the NCAA allows. and you guys made it seem like Jim Calhoun was lucifer's brother.

the ncaa could literally pull a schools name out of a hat and do an investigation and find rulebreaking. if you arent cheating you arent trying

• Downvote 1

everyone breaks the rules. thats why it was so dumb when everyone got on UCONN for it when the story broke. do you know what that was about? they were calling a kid who wouldnt go to class/stay in school and help get him eligible to play. not paying him, not helping him break the law. they were contacting him more than the NCAA allows. and you guys made it seem like Jim Calhoun was lucifer's brother.

the ncaa could literally pull a schools name out of a hat and do an investigation and find rulebreaking. if you arent cheating you arent trying

Sounds like someone has inside information....

WITCH-HUNT FOR THAD MATTA!

Trust me when I say that UConn has done way way worse than that. Even in just having some connections with Maryland I know that Calhoun has paid at least 2 players that we were on in the last few years. And I'll guarantee you those cant be the only guys. Thats not generally how it works.

Hell, if they wanted another team to take down, go after Arkansas. AAU coach/handler Jazzy Hartwell is one of the dirtiest guys in the business (and coincidentally, also was the handler for Darrell Arthur and there was at least 2k and likely a good bit more that changed hands there) made it pretty clear to most people that it was gonna take 10k to sign Devonte Abron. I don't actually have any evidence that money changed hands there, but it would be odd to give up your 10k possession for nothing this early in the game.

Edited by gopal

Yet to see PSU football involved in this mess!

I make no promises about the rest of our sports....

If they've been cheating in basketball, I've got a feeling that theyve been doing it wrong.

If they've been cheating in basketball, I've got a feeling that theyve been doing it wrong.

Point.

But how we are a dynasty in fencing? Hmmmm.

And women's volleyball.

Nah, they suck this year. they already lost a couple matches. bye bye longest ncaa win streak

Trust me when I say that UConn has done way way worse than that. Even in just having some connections with Maryland I know that Calhoun has paid at least 2 players that we were on in the last few years. And I'll guarantee you those cant be the only guys. Thats not generally how it works.

Hell, if they wanted another team to take down, go after Arkansas. AAU coach/handler Jazzy Hartwell is one of the dirtiest guys in the business (and coincidentally, also was the handler for Darrell Arthur and there was at least 2k and likely a good bit more that changed hands there) made it pretty clear to most people that it was gonna take 10k to sign Devonte Abron. I don't actually have any evidence that money changed hands there, but it would be odd to give up your 10k possession for nothing this early in the game.

... thats my point. is UCONN paying players? what, we are supposed to believe that Storrs Connecticut is a great destination for these players and they love the weather? Of course UCONN breaks the rules. if you arent cheating you arent trying. Trying to act sanctimonious or single out individual programs is silly. Of course, when programs start to flaunt the rulebreaking, like the Miami of old, or when the "lifestyle of SoCal" becomes more important than the game, than that is something that brings to mind the lack of institutional control

... thats my point. is UCONN paying players? what, we are supposed to believe that Storrs Connecticut is a great destination for these players and they love the weather? Of course UCONN breaks the rules. if you arent cheating you arent trying. Trying to act sanctimonious or single out individual programs is silly. Of course, when programs start to flaunt the rulebreaking, like the Miami of old, or when the "lifestyle of SoCal" becomes more important than the game, than that is something that brings to mind the lack of institutional control

They go to Storrs because Bristol is right down the road and they get to be on TV a lot.

So, rulebreaking is ok as long as you keep it quiet? For all the pub that the coaches who cheat get, I'm willing to bet that most don't. At least not by dropping off a bag with a few grand in it for Rudy Gay. If you want to pay the players then fine, go ahead and pass that rule. But as long as its against the rules then yeah, the NCAA should act whenever it has evidence of something. Its not fair to punish the coaches who refuse to cheat while their colleagues that do get to profit by breaking the rules.

yahoo! decided they wanted to poke around Uconn. and the blockbuster story they got was coaches contacting a troubled recruit too many times. do i think they could have found more? sure they could. but Yahoo! could pick any major program and find dirt if they had the right sources. In the meantime, random programs get in trouble and the others avoid any issue.

put it this way. can you see an alabama newspaper in a million years doing investigative work to find out if the crimson tide was violating ncaa rules? not a serious one. they would lose all their readership, bama football enthusiasts would never subscribe ever again. for the LA Times, do you think they would worry about alienating USC fans by reporting on a scandal there? absolutely not.

it just isnt a level playing field as to who gets the microscope put on them.

yahoo! decided they wanted to poke around Uconn. and the blockbuster story they got was coaches contacting a troubled recruit too many times. do i think they could have found more? sure they could. but Yahoo! could pick any major program and find dirt if they had the right sources. In the meantime, random programs get in trouble and the others avoid any issue.

put it this way. can you see an alabama newspaper in a million years doing investigative work to find out if the crimson tide was violating ncaa rules? not a serious one. they would lose all their readership, bama football enthusiasts would never subscribe ever again. for the LA Times, do you think they would worry about alienating USC fans by reporting on a scandal there? absolutely not.

it just isnt a level playing field as to who gets the microscope put on them.

Dude, not EVERYBODY is cheating.

This stance is making me think that somethings about to drop in columbus and youve got some inside dirt.

i definitely have none. if anything i can tell you how far ohio state goes to keep itself out of trouble. but that didnt keep troy smith from taking money from an athletic booster a couple years ago. there is only so much a head coach can follow when he has some 90 players on scholarship at any given time, as well as 20 some assistant coaches/staff members.

my only point, and i dont really enjoy defending cheating, is that i think the policing of the issue is just as unfair/unpredictable/pathetic as the actual crimes in the first place. i mean they looked into USC for what, 5 years? and could only get them for Reggie Bush? I mean snoop dog hangs out at their practices for god sakes

i definitely have none. if anything i can tell you how far ohio state goes to keep itself out of trouble. but that didnt keep troy smith from taking money from an athletic booster a couple years ago. there is only so much a head coach can follow when he has some 90 players on scholarship at any given time, as well as 20 some assistant coaches/staff members.

my only point, and i dont really enjoy defending cheating, is that i think the policing of the issue is just as unfair/unpredictable/pathetic as the actual crimes in the first place. i mean they looked into USC for what, 5 years? and could only get them for Reggie Bush? I mean snoop dog hangs out at their practices for god sakes

All I know is we don't let these shady people near the practice facilities.

That and Joe Pa's doghouse is famous. Joe Pa will take the loss if it means he teaches them kids a lesson, even if it means he benches his starters. that just means more game-reps for the younger, less seasoned backups.

That and most shady people associated with agents probably get lost on the way to happy valley.

you don't seriously believe that Penn State lets Mr. Paterno make decisions that would actually impact the performance of the football team, do you? I mean, I am all for keeping the guy around. But the idea that an 85 year old man is prowling around Happy Valley keeping 100 19 year olds away from agents/huge boosters of the program is just crazy.

Look, maybe Penn State is the cleanest program in the history of history. In which case I congratulate your school and its 3-3 record. On second thought, maybe Paterno is still getting some input.

Enes Kanter ruled permanently ineligible. I can't imagine that's good for Selby being ruled eligible.

He got 100k for playing in Turkey. When I saw the headline I was hoping Calipari had been behind it, but sadly Teflon John is not implicated.

I wish Calipari coached in the mid 80s. He's the best cheater we have today, but put him up against Tarkanian, Sutton, and Valvano and who knows what happens? And there's no way any of them can even touch John Wooden. There needs to be a tournament style bracket for this.

From the LSU board... and these people are pretty plugged in. Not included in here but also rumored is that Auburn is gonna get pwned by the NCAA (obviously). 2 year TV ban at a minimum. Penalties that would make USC's look like child play.

Subject: Interesting synopsis of the developing Auburn story

1. Cecil Newton shops Cam to MSU. MSU doesn't pay and reports it to the SEC office. Cecil continues shopping Cam.

2. Slive/SEC request information from the AU AD/Compliance people. They reply that they didn't find anything. The power brokers at Auburn have played this game before (as learned from all the background links) and knew what to say to the SEC to attempt the clean sweep under the rug. Chizik, after all, was hired just to enable these guys to do just what is being alleged. Cam AND other players sign on and gives AU arguably their best recruiting class ever. This is with a less than stellar head coach reputation wise that went 7-5 the year before and 5-19 before that.

4. SEC/Slive accepts this answer because it is better if nothing comes of it and much easier than taking it seriously; especially considering AU was expected to win 7-9 games at best before the season. The barn going undefeated caused this to fester.

5. MSU is pissed at AU and the SEC. They followed protocol and were basically ignored on nothing more than AU's word. They were also probably not happy about the cowbell situation (as stupid as that sounds)

6. Meanwhile the FBI is working on a seemingly unrelated case involving Alabama political gaming interests etc. As a side effect of their surveillance of the key figures (most notably huge AU booster and Victoryland owner Milton McGregor) they gain intelligence about the pay to play system currently in place at AU. It is known the FBI got wiretaps on McGregor. McGregor associates with Dye, Rane, Lowder and others connected directly to AU on a regular basis. These guys are caught discussing paying for multiple players and how they were doing it.

7. The FBI questions the NCAA if they know what is going on down at AU and suggests to some of this information to them. See, the FBI was involved from the beginning; they didn't just join the party. This was not the intent of the FBI's original investigation it was just a bonus of wiretapping powerful AU boosters. This just kind of fell into their lap and they passed it along to the NCAA. This is why this case is on the "fast track"; the NCAA has firm starting point thanks to the FBI. This is also why both the FBI and NCAA have been simultaneously interviewing known parties involved as well as some that were not known previously or haven't been made public yet. They needed to get testimony and match it up with the wiretap evidence.

8. The NCAA privately contact and SLAM Slive and company at the SEC for trying to sweep this under the rug (because that is how it looks to the NCAA). This is why Slive was so defensive and angry at the parties involved and felt like they didn't get the same information as the NCAA. Slive and the SEC did have SOME information though and chose to sit on it. Big mistake. Slive and the SEC will try to save face, but they are going to take a major hit once this is over.

9. Last Thursday: The powers that be at AU got a glimpse of the wiretaps and know they are in deep shit. They know they're done and that it is just a matter of time before it hits the fan. They go all in for real and decide to play Cam to go out in what one insider was reported of saying, "a blaze of glory"

10. Future: There is probably more to come this week, but a little farther on the horizon: Once the interviewers start making the rounds inside the power brokers at AU, the rats will come out and they will cannibalize each other in testimony not knowing exactly

From the LSU board... and these people are pretty plugged in. Not included in here but also rumored is that Auburn is gonna get pwned by the NCAA (obviously). 2 year TV ban at a minimum. Penalties that would make USC's look like child play.

Subject: Interesting synopsis of the developing Auburn story

1. Cecil Newton shops Cam to MSU. MSU doesn't pay and reports it to the SEC office. Cecil continues shopping Cam.

2. Slive/SEC request information from the AU AD/Compliance people. They reply that they didn't find anything. The power brokers at Auburn have played this game before (as learned from all the background links) and knew what to say to the SEC to attempt the clean sweep under the rug. Chizik, after all, was hired just to enable these guys to do just what is being alleged. Cam AND other players sign on and gives AU arguably their best recruiting class ever. This is with a less than stellar head coach reputation wise that went 7-5 the year before and 5-19 before that.

4. SEC/Slive accepts this answer because it is better if nothing comes of it and much easier than taking it seriously; especially considering AU was expected to win 7-9 games at best before the season. The barn going undefeated caused this to fester.

5. MSU is pissed at AU and the SEC. They followed protocol and were basically ignored on nothing more than AU's word. They were also probably not happy about the cowbell situation (as stupid as that sounds)

6. Meanwhile the FBI is working on a seemingly unrelated case involving Alabama political gaming interests etc. As a side effect of their surveillance of the key figures (most notably huge AU booster and Victoryland owner Milton McGregor) they gain intelligence about the pay to play system currently in place at AU. It is known the FBI got wiretaps on McGregor. McGregor associates with Dye, Rane, Lowder and others connected directly to AU on a regular basis. These guys are caught discussing paying for multiple players and how they were doing it.

7. The FBI questions the NCAA if they know what is going on down at AU and suggests to some of this information to them. See, the FBI was involved from the beginning; they didn't just join the party. This was not the intent of the FBI's original investigation it was just a bonus of wiretapping powerful AU boosters. This just kind of fell into their lap and they passed it along to the NCAA. This is why this case is on the "fast track"; the NCAA has firm starting point thanks to the FBI. This is also why both the FBI and NCAA have been simultaneously interviewing known parties involved as well as some that were not known previously or haven't been made public yet. They needed to get testimony and match it up with the wiretap evidence.

8. The NCAA privately contact and SLAM Slive and company at the SEC for trying to sweep this under the rug (because that is how it looks to the NCAA). This is why Slive was so defensive and angry at the parties involved and felt like they didn't get the same information as the NCAA. Slive and the SEC did have SOME information though and chose to sit on it. Big mistake. Slive and the SEC will try to save face, but they are going to take a major hit once this is over.

9. Last Thursday: The powers that be at AU got a glimpse of the wiretaps and know they are in deep shit. They know they're done and that it is just a matter of time before it hits the fan. They go all in for real and decide to play Cam to go out in what one insider was reported of saying, "a blaze of glory"

10. Future: There is probably more to come this week, but a little farther on the horizon: Once the interviewers start making the rounds inside the power brokers at AU, the rats will come out and they will cannibalize each other in testimony not knowing exactly

Rumor has it Auburn might get kicked out of the SEC

They could get Southern Methodisted

Edited by Dub8dude