Sign in to follow this  
Beez

Nebraska football thread

there's 0% risk of us overlooking the game. despite bo's downplaying last year's game in the media (i'm convinced he just enjoys shutting down interviews), you know people are talking to him about it and you know the players are thinking about it. i can't even tell you how many times i've heard those rumors about players having or wearing various "00:01" memorabilia. shit if it were my team we'd be watching last year's game on saturday morning.

i think your analysis is pretty sound ryan. i do worry more about turnovers than you let on, but i'm also confident we will intercept at least 1 pass, and i almost said at least 2. even back in the first couple weeks of the season when texas still looked like they might be able to get it together it was clear that the matchup favored us. largely due to their o line problems you mentioned, they rely mostly on gomer gilbert's arm - which happens to play into the consistently stronger part of our defense. so i mean, best case scenario for them i think is if they can get the ball moving on the ground, but i just don't believe they have the ability to do that. they've demonstrated against much weaker run defenses that they just refuse to try. on the other side of the ball, they are stronger but again in the wrong areas. they've got the 6th ranked defense overall but the 19th ranked run defense. capable, but comparatively weak. they'd prefer we pass the ball (and t mart did so as a run set up relatively well at washington and ksu), and they're gonna have to win certain battles just to get to that strategic advantage. i like the huskers by 17.

This.

My single concern going into this game is turnovers. We have lost the ball quite a few times and got lucky on most of the bounces and recovered them. I think this isn't as much Taylor's fault or even Helu or Burkehead, it just comes with making a zone read play your bread and butter. When you have the ball exchanging hands/almost exchanging hands that many times in a play, you are at high risk to turn it over. I did see Martinez play high and tight on most of his runs when he ran into walls, so that brings some encouragement.

I'm more worried about The Human Turnover dropping a punt return at the 5 yard line or something. I suspect that the backfield hydra is going to hold on to the ball pretty well tomorrow. Texas turns the ball over more than NU in this game unless The Human Turnover has an epic meltdown a la Iowa State 2009.

Yes.

And, unfortunately, all the complaints that will come about how Nebraska is leaving the Big XII because they can't beat Texas...are probably true.

And, unfortunately, all the complaints that will come about how Nebraska is leaving the Big XII because they can't beat Texas...are probably true.

That's kind of an unreasonable claim, considering the huge increase in TV revenue, the more prestigious overall conference (including the academic benefits), and the league being heavily slanted toward the south in terms of administration and recruiting base.

Still, it's something NU football will have to deal with forever.

Nebraskans need to learn that if we stop wanting things so badly, it won't hurt when we don't get them. Jesus.

What a waste of a beautiful day. Lincoln couldn't have had better weather.

NU/OSU predictions? Mine is 34-20 NU.

OSU's offense is good but they will not score more than 20 points against NU's defense unless the offense consistently puts the D into bad positions (like last week).

Look for:

a) Justin Blackmon to fall victim to Amukamara Island

B) Kendall Hunter to get some yards, but not as many as usual

c) The NU receivers to actually catch the freaking ball when its thrown right into their hands

We can stop OSU. OSU might be able to stop our offense, but probably not. That's a recipe for an NU win.

Look also for OU to absolutely embarrass Misery on national television.

I'm going to go with NU 27 - OSU 21.

Who wants to play over/under? Nebraska receivers will drop 5 passes.

I'm going to go with NU 27 - OSU 21.

Who wants to play over/under? Nebraska receivers will drop 5 passes.

I'm taking the under on that. No way do they go over 5 drops for two consecutive weeks. If they do, Ted Gilmore needs to be fired.

Kudos to the Huskers for a good game and one hell of a second half. It was hard to see the Cowboys go down but I've said on CX and elsewhere, the husker fans who came down when I was at OSU were a class act win or lose...just thought I'd return the favor.

My favorite part of that game was the back and fourth of the first half. Close games like that are always more fun to watch

Yeah. I had forgotten what it was like to watch a high-scoring game. It was actually pretty fun.

NU/OSU predictions? Mine is 34-20 NU.

OSU's offense is good but they will not score more than 20 points against NU's defense unless the offense consistently puts the D into bad positions (like last week).

Wrong. I knew coming into this game OKS was going to score points - but this was a little silly. The 2nd half was much better on the defensive front. They only gave up 14 pts & 100 yards, and the 2nd td was a too little too late.

a) Justin Blackmon to fall victim to Amukamara Island

Wrong. 5 catches 156 yards

B) Kendall Hunter to get some yards, but not as many as usual

Wrong. 200+ on 19 carries

c) The NU receivers to actually catch the freaking ball when its thrown right into their hands

Wrong. 7 Dropped passes. 2 dropped TD's that lead to field goals.

Look also for OU to absolutely embarrass Misery on national television.

Wrong. Though I'm not fully convinced that Mizzou is the real deal. OU is starting or playing 9 true freshmen.

Ryan, you're usually spot on with your analysis of huskers football but you've been off for two weeks now. Whats the deal? The comment you made on Texas, though completely wrong, was very well written - I suggest a career as a sports journalist.

Edited by hiphoppopotamus

No way. I have a soul. I'm a political science major, so why would I give up a career of being a bum hanging out by the children's museum on P street?

And to be fair, one of those catches for 30 yards was on Eric Hagg, not Prince. And holding Blackmon to only 4 catches isn't that bad, especially since one of them came on a flukey (yet still inexcusable) flea flicker at the end of the first half.

Anyway, yeah, I was totally off. I had a lot more confidence in Smith and Thenarse's tackling ability than I probably should have. And my opinion on the Misery/OU game was clouded by my absolutely off-the-charts hatred of Missouri.

My prediction for the NU/Misery game is 33-17. The blackshirts bounce back from a crap performance -- Missouri is a one-dimensional offense, and when Bo Pelini makes you one-dimensional, you're screwed. My prediction for the OSU game was predicated on NU stopping the run -- if they do, those receivers don't get open. That won't be a problem here. Let The Diva Gabbert throw the ball underneath all day, because that's all he's getting.

Then again, I hate Mizzou with every fiber of my being (I'd rather see Texas blow us out than Misery beat us by 1 point), so this is a huge homer pick.

No way. I have a soul. I'm a political science major, so why would I give up a career of being a bum hanging out by the children's museum on P street?

Oh good - I'm the first one that gets to make this joke...

Because the parents that take their kids to the children's museum complained that there's a 40 year old dude that spends too much time hanging out by the children's museum on P street.

My prediction for the NU/Misery game is 33-17. The blackshirts bounce back from a crap performance -- Missouri is a one-dimensional offense, and when Bo Pelini makes you one-dimensional, you're screwed. My prediction for the OSU game was predicated on NU stopping the run -- if they do, those receivers don't get open. That won't be a problem here. Let The Diva Gabbert throw the ball underneath all day, because that's all he's getting.

I agree with that prediction. I'm still not sold that Mizzou is as good as they think they are right now, but I will let them think that. There is nothing better than beating an over confident team at Memorial Stadium.

On an unrelated note: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/10/26/AR2010102604498.html

Edited by hiphoppopotamus
Justin Blackmon is retarded...

Nebraska linebacker and special teams BEAST Eric Martin has been suspended for the Missouri game as a result of Dan Beebe having his mouth wrapped firmly around DeLoss Dodds' co-- I mean, as a result of a supposed helmet-to-helmet hit. That wasn't called as a penalty during the game. And was announced 4 days before the game starts.

Missouri doesn't stand a chance now. That's the motivation NU needs to play well at home. 45-13 NU.

Bold predictions: 2 defensive touchdowns, 200 yards rushing from Martinez, 100 from Burkehead, Crick forces 1 fumble

MU -7 NU 174

And Ndamukong Suh comes back and throws 3 touchdown passes to Frank Solich.

Solid game. A lot of fun inside.

Nebraska is 7th in the latest BCS, and notably, considered the 2nd best one-loss team, behind Alabama.

Ahead of us are:

Utah and TCU, who are both undefeated and will play each other this weekend.

Auburn and Alabama, who play at the end of the season.

Boise, who is a virtual lock to go undefeated, at least until their bowl game.

And Oregon, who could potentially lose a game against either Arizona or Oregon State.

Bottom line: We have a good shot at getting into a really good bowl game if we can continue to play at the level we have played in the last two games.

Here are Nebraska's bowl posibilities:

* Winning out every game: BCS NCG or Fiesta Bowl. The NCG is a longshot because it requires Boise to get shafted (let's hope that happens, Boise is AWFUL), Alabama to beat Auburn but lose to someone else (or Auburn to beat Alabama and lose in the SECCG), and Oregon to lose (probably to Oregon State). Maybe we could get in without an Oregon loss, but probably not; TCU has played a tough enough schedule that if they win out, they probably deserve to play for the MNC. If Utah wins, however, we could surpass them, because their best win outside of TCU will be a BAD Pittsburgh team.

* If we win the CCG and don't get to the MNC, we will be in the Fiesta Bowl, probably against the Big Least winner Pittsburgh. The Steve Pederson Bowl!

* If we win out in the regular season but lose the CCG by a close margin, we'll likely end up in the Orange Bowl against the ACC winner, which I'm guessing will be VA Tech. If we get blown out, we'll end up in the Alamo Bowl or Cotton Bowl.

* If NU loses another regular season game, it's Alamo or Cotton Bowl time.

Rule out the national championship game - there is no way we get there unless the top five totally melt down.

If we win out including the big 12 championship, we're in the fiesta bowl. If we loose to OU, I bet we get the at-large bid.

I was at the game and saw the Courtney Osborne hit. I had the game DVR'd because I wanted to hear the commentary from Big 12 official Jim Cunningham, the anti-football crusader. First off, that was a fumble that should have been counted for a TD. Second, that was good tackling - his head was up, he lowered his butt, wrapped up and exploded (that sounds strangely sexual). That's how I was taught to tackle in 7th grade. All the talk around head hits is getting a little ridiculous. And now that the officials didn't call a flag on that hit, I'm sure Osborne will get suspended which is unfortunate because he played really well this weekend.

Ciante Evans = the next Prince Amukamara. This kid was a true freshman and he played a hell of a game.

I was at the game and saw the Courtney Osborne hit. I had the game DVR'd because I wanted to hear the commentary from Big 12 official Jim Cunningham, the anti-football crusader. First off, that was a fumble that should have been counted for a TD. Second, that was good tackling - his head was up, he lowered his butt, wrapped up and exploded (that sounds strangely sexual). That's how I was taught to tackle in 7th grade. All the talk around head hits is getting a little ridiculous. And now that the officials didn't call a flag on that hit, I'm sure Osborne will get suspended which is unfortunate because he played really well this weekend.

That hit was epic. I was sitting in the normally-quiet north end zone and the crowd went absolutely nuts. That's my second favorite moment of the past few months, falling shortly behind The Diva Gabbert attempting to call timeout #4.

Ciante Evans = the next Prince Amukamara. This kid was a true freshman and he played a hell of a game.

He played an awesome game. When he left because of that injury for a play Misery attacked (and beat) his replacement Anthony West. We'll need Evans to play well for the rest of the year. He could be better than Price when all is said and done.

My prediction for the NU/Misery game is 33-17.

Fantastic prediction. How did you know?

That hit was epic. I was sitting in the normally-quiet north end zone and the crowd went absolutely nuts. That's my second favorite moment of the past few months, falling shortly behind The Diva Gabbert attempting to call timeout #4.

You shut up about the North endzone. Thats where my season tickets are. I didn't sit down the entire game. It sounds like you were the one that was abnormally quiet.

You shut up about the North endzone. Thats where my season tickets are. I didn't sit down the entire game. It sounds like you were the one that was abnormally quiet.

Please, I was screaming all game. I normally sit in the student section. The north end zone really brought its A game on Saturday.

Fantastic prediction. How did you know?

I graduated from the Lou Holtz School of Predictions and Pre-game Pep Talks.