Sign in to follow this  
Beez

Nebraska football thread

So I'm living in Illinois now and I couldn't watch the game -- I want your input on how things went. Thoughts on Taylor Martinez getting the starting job at quarterback?

Well next year, your going to get shat on by Denard Robinson. BTWs faster and has a better arm than Terrel Pryor, although the lattter isn't saying much.

T-Mart is quick. Just quick. And I don't think he just looked that way because we were playing Western Kentucky. I legitimately think the guy is a ridiculous runner, probably the best we've had at the position since Crouch. He needs to work on his arm a bit, but he'll get there.

The defense sucked last night, but I am confident that Bo will fix them before the preseason ends.

Well next year, your going to get shat on by Denard Robinson. BTWs faster and has a better arm than Terrel Pryor, although the lattter isn't saying much.

haha!

I'm hoping we do a Tommie Fraser/Brook Beringer sort of thing where we have a running quarterback and a passing quarterback that both get a fair share of playing time.

Possibly, yeah. I don't see that happening just because I think both Cody Green and Taylor Martinez are so athletic that we just *have* to get them both on the field as much as possible. I see CG changing positions to TE or WR or something soon.

Incidentally, NU is now ranked #6 in the AP poll and #7 in the coaches poll.

you wouldnt get away with this ridiculousness in the sports forum. looking even more forward to beating the shit out of you guys in november

I really hope Carl gets his black shirts into gear. There were no excuses for giving up that many yards against a shitty team.

Idaho will be a little more challenging, but they aren't good enough to really see how well we will do this year.

I'm not worried. We gave up over 300 passing yards to Florida Atlantic last year.

I agree with Ryan on this one. Bo and Carl can coach some defense. I was happy to see that we have talent on the offensive side of the ball because I am far more suspect of our ability to generate an advantage on that side of the ball from a coaching perspective than on the defensive side. We have good talent on defense and it will get better no doubt...better than last year is likely a stretch notably because we lost the best defensive player in the history of college football (only slight hyperbole intended.) With that being said I also thought the defense played a little flat and uninspired. Perhaps they simply knew they were going to blow up on Western Kentucky and therefore didn't have the same kind of juice they will have for the Texas game and that is something I understand...think about how you feel debating a novice versus your level of excitement when you know you are about to be in a throwdown. I know I always did my best debating when I thought there was a realistic chance we were going to lose. I am sure Idaho will get the brunt of our defense if for no other reason than they don't want to have to deal with a pissed off coach for another week. Either way, we got T-Magic and Texas can bring it on!

I disagree with this logic. Zac Lee is not good enough to hardly get any playing time and then start our biggest non-conference game of the year. T-Magic is the guy. He's got the teams respect. Did anyone see Cody Green's interview after the WKU game? He basically said that everyone knew he was going to start because of how he lights people up in practice. He does make some rookie mistakes - like this weekend when he had Mike McNeil wide open over the middle and he threw the ball at his feet.

Idaho was a fun game to see. The Pick-6's happened coming into the north endzone.

For Washington, expect to see big plays on both sides. Our secondary is good enough to create some coverage sacks. I'm nervous, though, to see how Washington will respond to the zone options. If I were a coach, I would make Martinez beat me with his arm - in which case, we have an answer to that with Zac Lee or Cody Green.

The first half might be close, but Nebraska will pull away in the second half. We all know that UW's had trouble stopping the run, and that happens to be NU's biggest offensive strength; they have at least three players (T-Mobile, Helu and Burkhead) who are home run threats every time they're handed the ball. This weekend, Locker makes some amazing NFL-quality throws-- as he always does --, but gets frustrated and ends up throwing some crucial and poorly timed gifts to the NU secondary, which capitalizes with an interception to put NU in the driver's seat.

I also suspect that UW will have trouble defending against the spread offense, something that they don't see very often in the Pac 10.

I expect our secondary to play about like they did last week. The players said that they made those picks because they knew the tendencies of Enderle and that's a direct result of good coaching and scouting. Washington runs similar plays with pick & crossing routs. I think the Pelinis will have this all figured out and we will see some jumped routes. One thing to remember, though, is that sometimes DB's miss those picks and if they would have missed any one of those 5 on Saturday there was plenty of running room behind them.

I expect our secondary to play about like they did last week. The players said that they made those picks because they knew the tendencies of Enderle and that's a direct result of good coaching and scouting. Washington runs similar plays with pick & crossing routs. I think the Pelinis will have this all figured out and we will see some jumped routes. One thing to remember, though, is that sometimes DB's miss those picks and if they would have missed any one of those 5 on Saturday there was plenty of running room behind them.

Totally. Not to mention, Washington really loves flats and screens, which is literally what our defense is built to stop with the match-up zone system. I'm not concerned about keeping them from scoring, just about scoring enough to win.

It stays close in the first half but Nebraska pulls away in the 3rd quarter with some T-Magic. NU 23-10.

I'm really pleased with the play of T-Magic. I think all this talk about how he's a horrible passer is bullshit; he's making throws Zac Lee wasn't even bothering to attempt at this time last year. By the beginning of next year he'll be part of the Big Ten Hype Machine and in Heisman talk before spring ball even begins.

Incidentally, the Dailyer Nebraskan has an interesting article on Taylor Martinez: http://www.dailyernebraskan.com/article/nebraskans-totally-fine-with-mexican-quarterbacks

What worries me is our defense against the run. Some holes are opening up that shouldnt be.

Thats the result of inexperienced linebackers. Compton and Fisher wouldn't have let those middle holes open up.

SDSU game 2010 = ISU game 2009. We're just lucky we pulled this one out.

Look for the Huskers to bounce back against KSU. Purple Yoda is one hell of a coach, but their run defense has been sub-par and they're even more one-dimensional on offense than we are.

That one dimension however is the ground game. Against which we have looked very weak this year. I think despite that though our team will have geared up and been screamt at by Bo which ought to give us the game.

• Upvote 1

That one dimension however is the ground game. Against which we have looked very weak this year. I think despite that though our team will have geared up and been screamt at by Bo which ought to give us the game.

That's very true. I also suspect that Bo will change up the scheme a bit for the KSU game-- we'll see less of the "peso" (which is really just a 4-2-5 scheme with one of the safeties playing as a linebacker) and more of a traditional 4-3 set, maybe with guys like Whaley and Martin playing with Lavonte David instead of Hagg.

Slow down Daniel Thomas and it's a pretty easy win, because KSU's quarterback doesn't have the ability to beat us through the air. The problem is that Thomas is probably the best runningback west of Mark Ingram.

Early predictions

* NU wins, 34 to 14.

* Dejon Gomes and/or Prince Amukamara pick off at least one pass

* Daniel Thomas rushes for 100 yards but with a low YPC average

* Niles Paul fumbles on a punt return leading to an eventual KSU score. Count on it.

Edited by rjk

Early predictions

* NU wins, 34 to 14.

* Dejon Gomes and/or Prince Amukamara pick off at least one pass

* Daniel Thomas rushes for 100 yards but with a low YPC average

* Niles Paul fumbles on a punt return leading to an eventual KSU score. Count on it.

I can go either way on the first three predictions - the fourth is a guaranteed.

Pelini's comment after the game when asked about the next week off sums up my confidence "They had their day off today - we will get them back in shape."

Calls for the game on Thursday?

Mine is 42-13 with Martinez and Burkehead both rushing for over 100 yards and Niles Paul returning at least one kick off back for a TD. The game will stay close the first quarter and then quickly become a blowout.

Im not as worried about Kstate's run game as I was before. Granted, NE hasn't been great against the run so far, however Carl hasn't had to call a run centered D yet. I am confident that the Pelinis will bring a defense that is ready to defend against a runner like Thomas.

Good pick. If I were a betting kind of guy, I'd bet the house on Nebraska covering the spread (I think it was 12 last time I checked) on this one. Purple Yoda can coach, but KSU doesn't have the speed to compete with NE on any level. I trust the Pelini brothers will scheme up a defense capable of slowing down Daniel Thomas enough to win, and the moment Carson Coffman tries to air it out, the blackshirt secondary will have a field day.

I'm watching it at Memorial Stadium tomorrow on the jumbotron, anyone else going to?

Edited by rjk

Look out! The Huskers are back and they are a favorite to win every game on the schedule. It is obviously too early to say that they will go undefeated but it sure does feel good to contemplate the idea again. For all of us who loved the Huskers even through Callahan this is why we did it. All of the haters are gonna want back on the band wagon now...thank god I never left it! Go big red.

Texas' line play has been pure shit. I like NU's chances against Texas if the offensive line plays like they did against KSU and UW. Plus, it's at home. I'm worried because Texas is a talented team, but I think NU's defense stops Texas' offense and UT's defense struggles to stop NU's offense. Look at what UCLA -- UCLA! -- did against UT on the ground.

OSU is the game I'm worried about. On one hand, their passing game is literally the type of game our defense is built to stop (the "let's throw five yards down field repeatedly for small gains" offense) but on the other hand they both pass AND run well, which could pose a problem. On the other other hand, their defense is sub-par.

aTM could also be an issue, but I doubt it. JJ is an interception machine.

Misery is going to lay an egg in a big game like they always do.

ISU is ISU. Colorado is Colorado. Both could pull an upset (ISU did last year, obviously...) but they don't have the speed to compete with NU.

Kansas is too busy listening to Reverend Gill's sermons to play football.

12-0 at best, 11-1 maybe, 10-2 at worst. No matter how it turns out NU will represent the Big 12 north in the CCG against OU

Edited by rjk

What does everyone expect to see against UT? I'm going to act like I know what I'm talking about (I do sometimes...) and make a prediction. I've watched the Huskers religiously and at least part of the Longhorns' games. Let's start with...

NU's Offense: Nebraska's offense has the clear advantage with a diverse, multiple running attack featuring three home run threats out of the backfield in QB Taylor Martinez and HBs Roy Helu and Rex Burkhead. The real advantage, though, is in the offensive line play; while Texas' line has struggled particularly in opening up holes for the running game, the Huskers' line has excelled -- partially due to skill and partially due to clever blocking schemes designed by Shawn Watson and Barney Cotton -- in creating enough space for the hydra of backfield threats to rack up some serious yards. This might be the difference in the game. Nebraska's offensive line matches up very well with Texas' defensive line, which at times has had trouble stopping the belly option/zone read system (UCLA is a good example).

UT's Defense: Bo Pelini and Will Muschamp may be the two best defensive minds in the college game right now. Look for Muschamp to use safety Blake Gideon as Taylor Martinez' personal spy. Martinez is faster than Gideon, but Gideon is capable of laying the hurt if he lands a hit. Texas is almost certainly going to try to limit T-Magic's big runs by being very patient on the zone read plays -- the defensive ends will most likely stay at home and force Helu and Burkhead to beat the Texas defense. The issue here is that even a split second can make the difference between a 5 yard run for 2nd and 5 and an 80 yard sprint untouched to the end zone. This will be an interesting match-up to watch.

Overall... Nebraska has playmakers on both sides of the ball. Garrett Gilbert has folded under pressure, and we all know what the Pelini brothers do even to proven quarterbacks like Jake Locker, Colt McCoy and The Supreme Diva Gabbert. NU showed it could stop the run against KSU. Unfortunately, so can Texas, which means that T-Magic is going to have to show that he can beat Texas with his arm every now and then.

The bottom line though is that Texas lacks playmakers on offense, and against one of the best defenses in college football that's going to be problematic. At best, the Huskers win 37-17 with a couple of long breakout runs that help accelerate T-Swift's Heisman campaign. At worst, the Huskers fail to cover the spread but still win a defensive struggle by a score of, say, 17-13. Provided that the Huskers don't turn the ball over, I just don't see Texas overcoming the home crowd.