Oscar the Grouch

College Football General thread 2010

Oh hey.

Yeah.

We mauled Texas. In their own stadium. Again.

Yeah, we're pretty good.

Then what the hell does that make Kansas State?

Then what the hell does that make Kansas State?

Kansas State may or may not be better than UCLA; it's hard to tell. Purple Yoda is good for at least one upset "how in the world did that happen?" win per year.

Good on ya, gopal.

Navy is prolly better than MSU. MSU is not very good.

very wrong. in the best way.

a close look at msu's schedule is pretty promising for the spartans. they are 5-0 right now. Michigan, Northwestern and Illinois are next. 2-1 is very achievable. then Iowa, Minnesota, Purdue. 2-1, again, is very acheivable. That makes them 9-2 with a game on the road at Penn State. They are, at worst, a 9-3 team, and if they get past Michigan 11-1 becomes possible. I dont think the spartans have ever been to a BCS game, though i might be wrong on that. Not sure the BCS would take MSU over Iowa unless the spartans found a way to win that game, though.

Edited by Oscar the Grouch

very wrong. in the best way.

a close look at msu's schedule is pretty promising for the spartans. they are 5-0 right now. Michigan, Northwestern and Illinois are next. 2-1 is very achievable. then Iowa, Minnesota, Purdue. 2-1, again, is very acheivable. That makes them 9-2 with a game on the road at Penn State. They are, at worst, a 9-3 team, and if they get past Michigan 11-1 becomes possible. I dont think the spartans have ever been to a BCS game, though i might be wrong on that. Not sure the BCS would take MSU over Iowa unless the spartans found a way to win that game, though.

Do not Jinx it, my friend, the Spartan Slump is an annual and very real phenomenon.

All too often it begins with Michigan week.

Florida and Texas look almost as bad as Penn State... and we look utterly craptastic on offense...

Predictions:

1) Alabama will thoroughly embarass a very young Penn State team and this will reignite the JoePa effigies.

2) Penn State is ridiculously overrated at 19

3) Pac 10 disappoints again

4) SEC gets stronger

5) Big East and Notre Dame are still irrelevant

6) Big 12 lays an egg

1/3 the way through the season, I am spot on with the exception of the Pac 10. They havent been disappointing yet.

1/3 the way through the season, I am spot on with the exception of the Pac 10. They havent been disappointing yet.

Big 12? Not exactly dominating, but 4 undefeated teams in the top 25 is hardly laying an egg.

the big 12 sucks for sure but im not sure that the SEC is getting stronger. after Alabama and maybe Arkansas there are a lot of good but not great teams. Georgia, Florida, LSU, Ole Miss and Tennessee are all down, relative to their normal stature. South Carolina, Florida, LSU, and Miss State are still pretty decent but I think the Big 10 and Pac 10 are more likely catching up rather than the separation getting further.

I just dont know what to make of the Pac 10. Arizona beating Iowa was big, but it was at Arizona and Iowa made about every mistake you possibly can and still almost won. Oregon has the same team as last year with a new qb but people seem to think they are better than Ohio State because they run up the score on garbage teams. I just dont really know how good Stanford/Arizona/Oregon really are.

What happens if Alabama, Oregon, Ohio State, Nebraska, and Boise State are all undefeated at the end of the season?

the big 12 sucks for sure but im not sure that the SEC is getting stronger. after Alabama and maybe Arkansas there are a lot of good but not great teams. Georgia, Florida, LSU, Ole Miss and Tennessee are all down, relative to their normal stature. South Carolina, Florida, LSU, and Miss State are still pretty decent but I think the Big 10 and Pac 10 are more likely catching up rather than the separation getting further.

I just dont know what to make of the Pac 10. Arizona beating Iowa was big, but it was at Arizona and Iowa made about every mistake you possibly can and still almost won. Oregon has the same team as last year with a new qb but people seem to think they are better than Ohio State because they run up the score on garbage teams. I just dont really know how good Stanford/Arizona/Oregon really are.

What happens if Alabama, Oregon, Ohio State, Nebraska, and Boise State are all undefeated at the end of the season?

Since when did Texas being unranked make the Big 12 "suck for sure?" Missouri, Nebraska, OK State, and Oklahoma are all undefeated and ranked. (Tied with the Big 10 for most undefeated teams in a conference) Baylor is playing some of their best ball they have played in years. Granted, that still isn't great but they did receive some votes to be ranked. K-State had someone (before last night) that was in the Heisman talk.

None of this matters as this is really the last year that the Big 12 will be relevant, but to say the conference sucks right now just because you dont have an undefeated Texas team is really just conveniently avoiding whats happening on the field.

Edited by Lynn C. Thompson

it has a little bit to do with Texas I guess but that definitely wasnt going to be the crux of my argument. Mizzou, Ok st, Baylor, A&M, Kansas, Texas Tech, all have garbage defenses. So I end up having to watch Ok st and A&M trade bad turnovers and long touchdowns without seeing any tackling ever take place. It is annoying. The Big 12 is arena football on grass.

Nebraska and Oklahoma are largely exempt from this. Kansas State, once Bill Snyder has a little bit more time, will come along. The gimmick offenses are hard for me to take though.

Are people really suggesting that the Big 12 has been good this year? Mizzou has played literally no one and still very nearly lost to San Diego State and didnt look all that good against Illinois. OK State gave up 35 a game to middle of the road CUSA and Sun Belt teams. Nebraska and Oklahoma are good but the Big 12 is still the 4th best conference.

Are people really suggesting that the Big 12 has been good this year? Mizzou has played literally no one and still very nearly lost to San Diego State and didnt look all that good against Illinois. OK State gave up 35 a game to middle of the road CUSA and Sun Belt teams. Nebraska and Oklahoma are good but the Big 12 is still the 4th best conference.

Im not trying to say the Big 12 is one of the best conferences. I never try and rate conferences from best to worst anyways, it doesn't matter. I am arguing that the Big 12 has talented teams. Mizzou is ranked for a reason. They beat a pretty good Illinois team that held their own against Ohio. They aren't a great team but there is talent there.

Im not trying to say the Big 12 is one of the best conferences. I never try and rate conferences from best to worst anyways, it doesn't matter. I am arguing that the Big 12 has talented teams. Mizzou is ranked for a reason. They beat a pretty good Illinois team that held their own against Ohio. They aren't a great team but there is talent there.

Mizzou is a nice team, but are they really that much better than Air Force or (a favorite of mine for gambling purposes this week) Arizona State? That's not necessarily an indictment of Missouri either because those are solid football teams, but if thats the 3rd best team in your BCS conference then I think its pretty safe to say that the conference may not be all that great.

Who said anything about good? I just want some decent games to watch, and I've seen some. I'm just sayin' "laid an egg?" It's too early to claim victory on that prediction.

this is where i point out that i am on the record in this thread as saying South Carolina and Michigan State would be really good this year.

and that my friend Dane has 6 touchdowns in the last 3 games for the number 1 team in the fucking country.

i havent had much in sports to be happy about lately, and im going to get cocky for a couple weeks

So, the new AP rankings are pretty interesting. I still don't know what to think of Boise or TCU. I think they deserve to be where they are. Both teams have done exactly what everyone said they had to do if they wanted a top 5 ranking. Ohio is appropriately ranked as the #1 team. Part of me thinks Oregon should be 3 behind Boise with TCU coming in at 4. Obviously, as a husker fan, I am happy with being ranked 5th. I really dont see a reason for us being higher at this point, maybe later on in the season if we stay consistent.

I am also not sure how I feel about Bama being 8th. Part of me thinks it doesn't feel right having them out of the top 5 another part looks at the 14 point difference against SC and thinks they are right where they should be.

I am curious as to what others think about Boise and TCU, if they are over or underrated. My thoughts really could go either way at this point.

i think your indecision is right on. there is no objective way to actually know how good those teams are. and there sure as heck wont be a way at the end of the season to help us sort it out

I think 'Bama will move back up nearing the end of the season. They will definitely be highest rated 1-loss team, assuming they don't lose another game.

'Skers at #5! That's awesome. Taylor Martinez has blown away everyone's expectations for a freshman starting QB. I think he's going to run it all over Texas on Saturday this week too.

If Alabama runs the table (and I think they will) they will be ranked higher than an undefeated Boise or TCU. And they should be. I think both of those teams are probably slightly overrated where they are but it probably wont make a difference because neither is playing for a national title anyhow.

Oh, and FSU is way way underrated. Yeah, they shat the bed against Oklahoma (which is a shame because thats the only game that most of the country watched of theirs) but they are a really really good team. With the way theyre playing now, I would take them on a neutral field over everyone but Alabama, Ohio State, and Oregon.

I don't think you can say that Boise is overrated. If this were there first season where they beat down on ranked teams, maybe. But given the program's history of success in recent years - beating Oklahoma in the Fiesta, winning the Fiesta last year, etc., I think they can play anyone and either win out right or find a way to keep it close. I know this, they'd maul my Penn State Nittany Lions, and they'd probably give Alabama and Ohio State all they could handle.

If Alabama runs the table (and I think they will) they will be ranked higher than an undefeated Boise or TCU. And they should be. I think both of those teams are probably slightly overrated where they are but it probably wont make a difference because neither is playing for a national title anyhow.

Oh, and FSU is way way underrated. Yeah, they shat the bed against Oklahoma (which is a shame because thats the only game that most of the country watched of theirs) but they are a really really good team. With the way theyre playing now, I would take them on a neutral field over everyone but Alabama, Ohio State, and Oregon.

See I don't buy that argument that they are just "overrated". I keep hearing people say that but then when they face a formidable opponent, they beat the expectations. Consistently. Like I said, I am on the fence when it comes to ranking those two teams. I am looking at the arguments presented by both sides, and so far, the pro-Boise crowd is winning the debate especially after Oregon States win over a very good Arkansas team that gave Alabama a run for their money.