Chez-Out

Personal Views

I'm actually sorta surprised I'm writing this - I love debate a lot. I like the hard competitive focus, I like a lot of it.

One thing I've come to notice, or heard a lot, was that one of the reasons debate is good is to find your own personal views. That was the main clincher to get me to join, "How can you say X is bad without first learning why X is good?"

Well, I'll tell you one thing, debate sure as fuck didn't help me finalize my views, if anything, its made it harder to debate things. When asked about the Mosque at Ground Zero, I can't decide. When asked about Corporal Punishment, I can't decide. Four years ago, I would be able to tell you the answer to those. It goes Yes, No. Now, it seems impossible to do so - there are too many voices nagging in my head about the pros and cons. I always keep my options open.

The problem with not having a confirmed view is that when my friends at school say something in the daily news, I admittedly make them assume I believe the opposite. "Dude, doesn't it suck there's a troop surge?" "No, because x". I don't THINK I believe the troop surge is a good idea, but I don't know why I don't.

Does anyone else have this problem or know a fix? It seems debate has made me indecisive outside of debate rounds.

this is a good thing. the more you know, the more you realize you dont know much of anything at all. most issues are not black and white and you should be thankful that you realize that.

• Upvote 1

It shouldn't. Even if you can see both sides to an issue, and what issue doesn't have two sides? You should have a set of personal beliefs that aren't compromised by the activity. You just decide what is important to you, and go from there.

You're ceding the political to the right as we speak. Mosque in the vicinity of (but not at) Ground Zero is probably alright.

Think of it this way: instead of being decisively ignorant, you're indecisively educated, which is WAY better to be because you don't contribute to the ever-growing problem of American dogmatism.

• Upvote 1

You're ceding the political to the right as we speak. Mosque in the vicinity of (but not at) Ground Zero is probably alright.

Apparently, it's not even a mosque. I have heard from several sources that the technical Islamic definition of mosque is a building where only prayer services and religious functions are carried out. Even though Park51 will have prayer space, it can't be a "mosque" because it has non-religious community center elements in the facility too.

having difficulty when making an opinion or reviewing an old one is a good thing. Justifying your assumptions and opinions on the workings of the world can only improve yourself.

Think of it this way: instead of being decisively ignorant, you're indecisively educated

this. couldn't have said it better.

I used to be indecisive but I'm not sure anymore

Greatest post ever.

This only matters if you can't make decisions that affect your life... you don't have to know the answer to political issues, especially at your age Rothenbaum