Sign in to follow this  
superman222e

Turkey Advantage - NATO

So...I came across Izak Dunn's Turkey aff he cut this year. Although I do like it, theres a NATO advantage which I'm unsure about. Theres no internal link or regular link, maybe thts because there doesn't need to be, but basically it says the plan collapses NATO which solves 3 different impact scenarios: imperialism which leads to racism and violence, US - russia war due to stockpiling, and Talibanization.

On another one of my posts about my turkey affirmative, people said a NATO advantage would be good, but i fear that it wouldn't be hard for the NEG to win the NATO good debate because there just seems to be a lot more literature supporting NATO. Thoughts?

So...I came across Izak Dunn's Turkey aff he cut this year. Although I do like it, theres a NATO advantage which I'm unsure about. Theres no internal link or regular link, maybe thts because there doesn't need to be, but basically it says the plan collapses NATO which solves 3 different impact scenarios: imperialism which leads to racism and violence, US - russia war due to stockpiling, and Talibanization.

On another one of my posts about my turkey affirmative, people said a NATO advantage would be good, but i fear that it wouldn't be hard for the NEG to win the NATO good debate because there just seems to be a lot more literature supporting NATO. Thoughts?

All the reasons NATO are good are imperial: peace-keeping, stability, democratization, et al are all imperial actions. It's easy to win NATO bad with imperialism arguments

There's literature on either side, and the NATO bad literature seems more convincing to me and has better warrants. I think you need to stop basing your aff choice solely on breadth of the literature base.

I can't speak to Isaks scenario, but collapsing nato hardly solves imperialism bad vs. collapsing nato really does get the full weight of nato collapse.

Plus the historical record of no great power war post NATO is pretty impressive. Further, the historical record of power vaccums in Europe leading to conflict which required outside intervention is pretty good. Admittedly, I don't know how many wars involved itself in OR the effectiveness of those wars. The existence or non-existence of NATO wouldn't have stop the US from taking action in the case of Afghanistan or Iraq.

Also the NATO good literature has:

1) democracy

2) soft power

3) economy

4) protectionism

5) hegemony

All 5 of those can access your impacts--via timeframe & via laundry list cards. Although, certainly not with extreme specificity.

I don't know what the nato expansion literature looks like, however.

And they have the block. Although after a half dozen of these debates you will be far more experienced on these debates than the negative will be.

I'm going to step back and not draw a conclusion. However, the above is certainly something to think about.

Edited by nathan_debate

Sign in to follow this