nathan_debate

Post Camp Critiques on the Military Topic Thread

Moderate Sized List of Critique Arguments on the High School Topic which Were Produced at Debate Camps 2010 to 2011

I've done this in alphabetical order, hopefully making it easier for you to create an expando file (if you still use paper):

1) Capitalism (Northwestern)

2) Chernus Critique (Michigan 7 Week)

3) Feminism/Fem in IR (UNT)

4) Gendered Language (UNT)

5) Hillman (put out at 2 or 3 camps)

6) Imperialism K (Gonzaga)

7) K of DA (Predictions Bad/Risk Assessment Bad/Utility Bad) (UNT)

8) K of DA (8 individual link scenarios--Terror talk, hegemony impacts, economy, nuclear war (including Chaloupka & others), profliferation, war (Cuomo-war as an event), disease (reps & western medicine), and environmental impacts--Bobertz/scapgoating) from UNT

9) KATO K (Michigan)

10) Military Dicotomy K (UNT)

11) Orientalism K (Northwestern & one more--note: Edward Said is only used as the alternative)

(Whitmans/WNDI'S version is set up to be epistemology/problem solving/threat construction & securitization)

12) Pressence K (Northwestern) (authors = Schmitt, Virillo, Cuomo, Foucault, and some other critical jive in the extensions--including Tuathail/critical geopolitics/Shapiro, Spanos, Mansfield, and Hardt & Negri cards. One of the main arguments is an indictment of the notion of pulling out as stopping the war--it indicts out notions of what "war" is and what "peace" is. Some versions may go heavily in the direction of positive peace.)

13) Securitization/Dillion/Threat Con esque (MNDI--2 K Grab Bag files, also almost every camp)

14) Schmitt (Gonzaga & Capitol)

15) Spanos (Gonzaga)

16) Terror Talk K (Gonzaga & others)

17) Velvet Glove K (UNT) Soft power bad

18) Weapontitis Critique (Northwestern)

19) Whitewashing Critique (Samford)--(the alternative is build more base which causes over stretch/ over-identification)

Notes about What Got Left Off the List (but should still be prepped for):

I also believe these have been put out at camps but haven't been posted or will be leveraged due to backfiles:

Threat con, biopower, and Empire/multitude (hardt & negri) are also all likely to be run with some regularity on the topic. Also, Nietsche wasn't spoken for, but will clearly be run. (of course Fear of Death/Don't fear the reaper (often with securization arguments) and value to life arguments will be commonly run as components of Ks and in the case of fear of death--probably independently as well). Critiques of military deterrence will also likely see the light of day.

Schlag and Normativity might also see the light of day. Arguably SDI's Anti-politics is a critique as well (which is a souped up version of Cede the Political is also a K of many critical strategies)

I also didn't include Whitman in the list--because by the time I got there the four critiques they put out were already spoken for)

Also, I didn't break out the K of DA from UNT file anymore (its loaded with arguments--its a ***must read***). Also, you might check of the official foucault thread, as it contains some insight on the link turn vs. impact turn debate for **most critiques**.

Updated Notes

Theat construction and securitization arguments which are specific to "China Threat" "Russia Threat", "Middle East Theat", "Environmental Securization/Threat", and "Failed States Threat" could perhaps create more nuance to securitization and threat construction style arguments. (these nuances might allow the aff/neg to run a K and more policy oriented arguments together)

This list below is probably far less than complete, however is a start (also not in alphabetical order):

Affirmative Critiques:

1) K of DA (10 critiques) + threat con/securitization/realism/biopolitics

2) Gender (multiple camps)

3) Colonialism in Iraq (DDW)

4) Critical South Korea (Berkeley)

5) Critical Turkey (Gonzaga)

6) Critical PMCs/Neoliberalism (Gonzaga)

7) Militarism affirmative (Samford) ( Japan & fem. I think, but not sure)

8) Critical Iraq (Whitman)

9) that Kansas critical aff that I can't think of that deals with Surveilance

Critical Drones/"Unmanned vehicles" along with anthropolgists in the military (aka Human Terrain Teams--I don't know how popular the later will be). I have included a rather long list of possible critical affirmatives on the topic here.

If you are running a K aff...the K of DA file is critical (also good for teams on the negative). The Presence K from Northwestern is such a hodge-podge of critical literature its a must read as well.

Edited by nathan_debate
  • Downvote 1

I wasn't implying that critiques didn't get their own expandos....

1) AT for 2ac (and the block) Gets one to two expandos. Hopefully if you have 31 pockets you get get most of your arguments in (especially with smart subgrouping).

2) Framework/topicality/theory type args against critical affirmative teams might deserve its own expando. Or just the overall strategy.

3) Smart groupings: And of course realism, securtization, and threat con can all be in 1 expando--as its functionally a very similar argument.

Dynasty:

Hillman

Spanos

Lacan/Zizek

Thanks for adding this....I forgot to add it (as an FYI: the other 2 are there).

D & G should also be included on both lists.

Various updates:

1) GLBT & various forms of marxism/critical theory.

2) Der Derian and Virillo also probably deserve their own lines.

3) Also militarism proper isn't included (except via permanent peace & whitewashing)

4) And the whitewashing file put out by Samford could possibly be re-named "Over-identification" depending on how its impacted.

5) And outside of imperialism and orientialism....race is largely omitted.

6) Eco-Ks are also largely omitted (although they would mostly link to politics impact stories)

7) Critical geopolitics deserves its own line (although its probably just a link into the foucault or otherization debate)

Edited by nathan_debate

Orientalism isn't specific to Japan and South Korea just because it says "Orient" - the link is actually stronger to Afghanistan and Iraq. The link is more "We're withdrawing not to let them establish sovereignty, but because we think that we know what's better for them".

18) Weapontitis Critique (Northwestern)

lol weapon titis.

• Upvote 1

And the presence kritik - in my opinion, is not really coherent as a positive peace kritik OR security kritik. It's just meant to intimidate affs because there are a bunch of big authors in the 1NC. They were trashing the Presence K pretty badly in my lab at NDI...

This context is important (at the very least it merits re-examining the shell). I haven't read the alt card, but it probably couldn't solve for all those Ks (although whether thats relevant--is an entirely other discussion).

1) Also, just because the original shell is arguably "flawed" or whimsical in some sense doesn't mean the argument itself isn't strategically useful. My guess is a smart team could do a little creative splicing with the shell (take out 2 or 3 cards...and add a couple others). These arguments will inevitably creep up during the year in other forms.

2) The link arguments/diversity of arguments I think is the reason people should read the file (not necessarily run it in its current form).

Coherence isn't always a good check for "strategic" critical arguments (although it does help a ton for later speeches). My guess is that Northwestern debaters were laughing at their Global/Local argument several years ago before they thumped a ton of decent teams using it.

Edited by nathan_debate

There was a security version of the pull out of Okinawa aff produced at SDI

Affirmative Critiques:

1) K of DA (10 critiques) + threat con/securitization/realism/biopolitics

2) Gender (multiple camps)

3) Colonialism in Iraq (DDW)

4) Critical South Korea (Berkeley)

5) Critical Turkey (Gonzaga)

6) Critical PMCs/Neoliberalism (Gonzaga)

7) Militarism affirmative (Samford) ( Japan & fem. I think, but not sure)

8) Critical Iraq (Whitman)

9) that Kansas critical aff that I can't think of that deals with Surveilance

10) Freedom affirmative/ethics (its basically libertarianism & objectivism good).