NinjaSamurai

Ground Zero Mosque

You should read what he posted there. Cordoba was home to one of the largest libraries in the Western world housing Jewish, Christian, and Muslim scholars. It also describes the relatively peaceful way in which that city was acquisitioned by its first followers of Islam, and the centuries of tolerance of its Christians that followed. The article suggests that for these reason, Cordoba is probably more accurately seen as a symbol of cooperation between these three faiths, and not whatever you Mr. Gingrich are implying, warranted by one-setence-ultra-simplistic versions of its history.

Newt is a dumbshit, cross-x is generally leftist, lalala. Yes, I read the article. Yes, I understood the church was pretty much left alone. That's why I said that Newt was wrong (above), but also that Cordoba still can be seen as a Muslim conquest (arguably). Don't get me wrong, putting up that mosque as a mosque is chill and all, but the intentional name of Cordoba is arguably offensive. Mr. Topicality, I understand the name change is an attempt to garner acceptance, but you just can't swap out a name like that and pretend the original name was never there. Besides, if this name thing weren't an issue, they wouldn't have bothered changing it anyways, right?

Newt should shut the fuck up, and the mosque should be built to test our tolerance in America today.

Maybe I'm too drunk right now

Mr. Topicality, I understand the name change is an attempt to garner acceptance, but you just can't swap out a name like that and pretend the original name was never there. Besides, if this name thing weren't an issue, they wouldn't have bothered changing it anyways, right?

Well maybe they recognized that people would take it the wrong way, so they wanted to make amends on that point. Or they just realized they were discovered and were trying to cover up their mistakes...

Whether or not the mosque should be offensive or not, the worshipers are going to go through hell, with all of the lawsuits and community opposition. Just because something is justified doesn't mean it's a good idea...

Edited by NinjaSamurai

Just because something is justified doesn't mean it's a good idea...

Well, what's a worse idea: allowing Muslims to accept being hassled by ignorant bigots, or depriving people the ability to establish a place of worship because of fear mongering neo-cons?

But wait....mr. T. by that rationale would you support a congregation such as the Westboro Baptist Church building a church in the Castro District? I'm all for religious freedom and diversity, etc...but not all decisions we make in the name of freedom are necessarily good ones.

Well, what's a worse idea: allowing Muslims to accept being hassled by ignorant bigots, or depriving people the ability to establish a place of worship because of fear mongering neo-cons?

Giving scientologists even more protections

You kinda missed his point. He's saying that it was probably a bad idea for the Muslims to try to build a mosque there, and that they should have anticipated the backlash.

You kinda missed his point. He's saying that it was probably a bad idea for the Muslims to try to build a mosque there, and that they should have anticipated the backlash.

True, but it is not good reasoning to then conclude that this backlash necessitates them stopping it. They should've recognized that there would be some, but stopping it would've just been giving into bigots.

True, but it is not good reasoning to then conclude that this backlash necessitates them stopping it. They should've recognized that there would be some, but stopping it would've just been giving into bigots.

Ya, this was my point.

Giving scientologists even more protections

or christian scientists medicaid dollars for denying children medicine?

• Downvote 1

we should probably stop treating poor kids.

we should turn some hospitals into prisons and factories. make em work for the chemotherapy.

• Upvote 1

we should turn some hospitals into prisons and factories. make em work for the chemotherapy.

who needs chemo when you can work in uranium mines?

• Upvote 2

Let's take a mosque in Baghdad and convert it into a church, we can also name it Cordoba. At least their population would understand the significance of the name.

this thread has been incredibly entertaining. not so entertaining: impeding religious freedom. just a dick move every time

This gave me a good chuckle. It really is great seeing insensitive bigots become apologists.(so long as we aren't defending Christianity, right?)

Aww how fast they grow up these days :)

Ground Zero Is Fer Explojins, Give Dem Da N Bomb.

I WANT CAPS

Let's take a mosque in Baghdad and convert it into a church, we can also name it Cordoba. At least their population would understand the significance of the name.

This gave me a good chuckle. It really is great seeing insensitive bigots become apologists.(so long as we aren't defending Christianity, right?)

Lol, wut?

This gave me a good chuckle. It really is great seeing people who believe in talking snakes become opposed to another, equally absurd religion.(So long as they're all attacking atheists, right?)

Aww, how fast they become irrational these days. :D

Edited by Enterprise

why make it a church when you can just rape their children in abu ghraib, no need for the clergy middleman.